Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

20 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Same, but wanted to check. Once requested, I've always assumed it was granted, given the horrendous PR that would create for a program. 

Which begs the question: what's the friggin' point of signing NLIs? You don't have to sign one as it is and if you can just choose to not honor it, who is this for? This whole situation is a joke from all sides.

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Which begs the question: what's the friggin' point of signing NLIs? You don't have to sign one as it is and if you can just choose to not honor it, who is this for? This whole situation is a joke from all sides.

They are pretty outdated and pointless now. Have been for a while.

33 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

For the photo shoot.  

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I think the way college sports is ran in general, especially CBB, is a joke.  I think NIL money involved and now they are considered professional athletes, should have to sign an NIL contract that takes the place of the NLI and it is binding, IMO

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

They are pretty outdated and pointless now. Have been for a while.

No kidding and for quite some time. Now, the school has to also cooperate and can say no to the release correct? I'm probably wrong

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think the way college sports is ran in general, especially CBB, is a joke.  I think NIL money involved and now they are considered professional athletes, should have to sign an NIL contract that takes the place of the NLI and it is binding, IMO

It's coming.  Some sort of collective bargaining agreement, with contracts so coaches know who's coming and who's going.  Probably salary cap type structure as well.  Don't know if it will be the NCAA or some new organization that does it though.  

On 3/11/2024 at 1:27 AM, RaceToTheTop said:

With the BOT absolving itself of any blame and responsibility but creating roadblocks along the way, no wonder nothing gets done.

@KathywithaCdo you have any of those 5-4 and 6-3 vote propositions yet?

I don’t, because they’re inapplicable. I realize you and Golf want Woody to be gone - I’m just trying to both tell you how that could happen, as well as that there’s little sentiment for it, if any.

31 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It's coming.  Some sort of collective bargaining agreement, with contracts so coaches know who's coming and who's going.  Probably salary cap type structure as well.  Don't know if it will be the NCAA or some new organization that does it though.  

The big issue will be revenue sharing, which is something all athletic administrators are working to fully evaluate. Everything else is peripheral.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:16 PM, cybergates said:

Seems like someone using an AI bot to pretend to have inside info on the BOT to me.

Not a bot, though that did make me laugh. I understand the frustration though I’m a bit surprised that this is so confounding to a few of you, especially in light of claimed business experience, as well as affiliations with IU. The current scenario is far from new, which is why I wondered whether any of the group pushing back had much time around the IU program.

3 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I don’t, because they’re inapplicable. I realize you and Golf want Woody to be gone - I’m just trying to both tell you how that could happen, as well as that there’s little sentiment for it, if any.

If there is little concern to make a change now, have the results over 3 years met their expectations or are they expecting better results?

What do you think the vision is from the BOT for the "bridge" to the next coach? 

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

This is something I thought about the other day.  It was stated that McNeeley signed but would watch to see if our style of play had changed (it didn't).  Seemed like a big gamble or a trmendous snow-job by the staff.

6 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

This is one of the most frighteningly out of touch comments demonstrating the systemically broken process for evaluation and administering the athletic department—especially the basketball program. If what you speak is correct and there is little sentiment for a change, the decision makers are woefully squandering their position of trust for IU athletics. 

26 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Not a bot, though that did make me laugh. I understand the frustration though I’m a bit surprised that this is so confounding to a few of you, especially in light of claimed business experience, as well as affiliations with IU. The current scenario is far from new, which is why I wondered whether any of the group pushing back had much time around the IU program.

We obviously have been having two very different conversations. 

You've added absolutely 0 insight aside from "consensus decision making is important" and "SEC schools have way more involvement from their BOT in football than we do in basketball"

People are upset - not because they are confused - because they are bitterly disappointed. 

31 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

@RaceToTheTop is not asking you a question about the basketball firing/hiring process specifically. He is positing that your notion of consensus decision making at IU never having led to unilateral decision making, does in fact lead to unilateral authority by those closest to the area of their own concern:

On 3/9/2024 at 1:28 AM, RaceToTheTop said:

EXCEPT you are saying that 'Buckner doesn't have unilateral say because they operate under consensus building' and I explained how consensus building leads to people having unilateral say.  No one ever has to take responsibility for any area because those with the most interest in an area drive the decision of others and in return become amicable to the decisions that someone else has in an area of their own concern.  

Answering the question about vote splits from the BOT would go a long way in disproving his notion. Unless the vote splits do show that, at IU, consensus decision making does in fact lead to group think - de facto, unilateral authority from the most important stakeholder closest to the area of concern (not a basketball specific question). 

If you're going to be condescending as hell, at least try to keep up with the actual conversation. Seems you either do not understand the dialogue or are purposefully trying to misrepresent it. 

12 minutes ago, spe317 said:

This is one of the most frighteningly out of touch comments demonstrating the systemically broken process for evaluation and administering the athletic department—especially the basketball program. If what you speak is correct and there is little sentiment for a change, the decision makers are woefully squandering their position of trust for IU athletics. 

They aren't decision makers.  They are political opportunists.  It's why IU coaching decisions look more like our dysfunctional political system than a well run Fortune 500 company.  

See political opportunists see a chance to get "their guy."  So they work the system, line up donors, trustees, administrators, to achieve a "consensus" that their guy is the right guy.  Kind of like -- if Woody goes, then our donations go.  

Corporate decision makers know the buck stops with them.  Sure they enlist members of the organization, Board of Directors, etc. to help in decision making.  But at the end of the day, they are accountable for the decisions that are made.  Enough bad decisions and bye, bye.  

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

They aren't decision makers.  They are political opportunists.  It's why IU coaching decisions look more like our dysfunctional political system than a well run Fortune 500 company.  

See political opportunists see a chance to get "their guy."  So they work the system, line up donors, trustees, administrators, to achieve a "consensus" that their guy is the right guy.  Kind of like -- if Woody goes, then our donations go.  

Corporate decision makers know the buck stops with them.  Sure they enlist members of the organization, Board of Directors, etc. to help in decision making.  But at the end of the day, they are accountable for the decisions that are made.  Enough bad decisions and bye, bye.  

Doesn't help when some of the Trustees are politically appointed, and a politician's interests align with whichever check had the most commas.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

We obviously have been having two very different conversations. 

You've added absolutely 0 insight aside from "consensus decision making is important" and "SEC schools have way more involvement from their BOT in football than we do in basketball"

People are upset - not because they are confused - because they are bitterly disappointed. 

@RaceToTheTop is not asking you a question about the basketball firing/hiring process specifically. He is positing that your notion of consensus decision making does in fact lead to unilateral authority by those closest to the area of their own concern:

Answering the question about vote splits from the BOT would go a long way in disproving his notion. Unless the vote splits do show that, at IU, consensus decision making does in fact lead to group think - de facto, unilateral authority from the most important stakeholder closest to the area of concern (not a basketball specific question). 

If you're going to be condescending as hell, at least try to keep up with the actual conversation. Seems you either do not understand the dialogue or are purposefully trying to misrepresent it. 

I think another reason people are upset is that they looked at the roster for this season and thought we were going to contend in the Big 10, which was never a realistic view. Im keeping up with the conversation just fine, by the way. Taking a different view of the dialogue doesn’t mean I don’t understand it. I’m just trying to provide you with a perspective from how this is viewed from within the University as opposed to how it might be viewed by some fans. As for the notion of votes and consensus leading to unilateral decision making, I think you’re going to believe whatever fits your narrative, regardless of whether there’s any validity to it (there isn’t).

Edited by KathywithaC

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

I think another reason people are upset is that they looked at the roster for this season and thought we were going to contend in the Big 10, which was never a realistic view. Im keeping up with the conversation just fine, by the way. Taking a different view of the dialogue doesn’t mean I don’t understand it. I’m just trying to provide you with a perspective from how this is viewed from within the University as opposed to how it might be viewed by some fans.

That is quite the tap dance Cathy! :) 

As for your last sentence... okay thank you for sharing your perspective. Have a wonderful day

Just now, KathywithaC said:

I think another reason people are upset is that they looked at the roster for this season and thought we were going to contend in the Big 10, which was never a realistic view. Im keeping up with the conversation just fine, by the way. Taking a different view of the dialogue doesn’t mean I don’t understand it. I’m just trying to provide you with a perspective from how this is viewed from within the University as opposed to how it might be viewed by some fans.

I'm so trying to understand what you're saying but you seem to talk in circles that I don't understand. So If I have it correctly you're saying everyone in the athletic department is happy with how things are going. Fans thought we were going to be good but the people in the know thought we would be average like we are. 

3 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

As for the notion of votes and consensus leading to unilateral decision making, I think you’re going to believe whatever fits your narrative, regardless of whether there’s any validity to it (there isn’t).

Showing the vote splits would certainly be a great way of proving that there is no validity to the notion, to reasonably minded people. 

Don't you think we're reasonable Cathy :farting_smiley: