Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

Just now, Golfman25 said:

By the time you get new "staff" (coaches, GM, whatever), the best guys in the portal will be long gone.  You need to have people doing the portal work now -- evaluations of guys you project to be heading into it so you can move quick and back channel contacts if necessary.  

100% agree.  That's why I think all this talk about a GM is complete garbage.  

Just now, str8baller said:

You would have to define “good” for me to sign off on the fact that a talent infusion could lead to a good season.  Two problems I see with your strategy are:  

1) getting a rim protecting center means another year two bigs on offense, which is a Woody clearly struggled with this year 

2) no matter the talent, you have woodys strategy problem on defense. We’ve gotten worse every year. Even lock down guards wouldn’t solve the problem because they’re obviously taught to over help, even to the post when we have the existence of a lockdown center.   

Having a defense ranked near 100 in efficiency is a recipe for an average team, at best, unless you have the number 1 offense and can run and gun like Alabama. 

Good year is top 1-4 in the conference and a top 4/5 seed in the tournament. Then see what happens in the dance. It’s always a crapshoot. Beat Purdue at least once. 

1) woody has played 2 bigs all 3 years. I don’t believe he will change. I’d let Reneau transfer and get a rim protector and spread the floor. Just don’t think he will. 

2) I think quick athletic guards allow for better defense. This year we didn’t have it and the defense suffered. Year 1 and 2 were much better than this year. X injury isn’t an excuse bc there was an open scholarship and it wasn’t used. 2 years ago there was X and Rob coming off the bench. The D was really good. Last year was X until hurt but JHS filled in and the defense dropped to like 45th in defense. So he needs athletic guards and a rim protector to be a good defense. 

Woodson is going to try and thread a needle with this strategy. We have no choice but to support it until the end of next year bc a change isn’t coming. 

13 hours ago, Josh said:

I can't help but to wonder about the timing of this.  It seems weird to announce that he'll be back with games left in the season.

The thought that keeps hitting me is....this is to reassure a recruit's mind.  Or a player deciding to return or not's mind.  My guess is there will not be a mass exodus with the announcement of Woody's return.  My guess is Dolson talked to the team and maybe a recruit (or transfer candidate) or two and thinks there's a possibility of a good team next year if we reassure them that Woody will return.

Maybe Mgbako/Reneau/McNeely said they'll come back if Woody stays?  I'd have to think this is why there was an announcement today.  I can't come up with another reason, maybe you chuckleheads know of one?  Timing is just strange.

Now with the announcement of Woody returning, it'll be followed up with players announcing they're going to return to "win for Woody".  Don't fall for it!  The hype train just started it's engine.

I believe it has to do with the Portal in some way. 

IF Woodson gets a GM for the basketball program maybe this could actually work. I'm sure high level college athletics are messy to navigate with NIL and transfer portal, which is a full time job itself. If he can get the players he needs to run the system he wants then maybe...? I'm trying to find the positive here.  

1 minute ago, Mike Rodick said:

I selfishly just want a couple of really good seasons of IU basketball to enjoy with my Grandsons (who love IU because I do) before I get kicked into my 6' hole at the end of my run here.I have the memories of championship seasons but so far the Grandsons tournament memories of IU basketball is a couple of early round NCAA blowouts.

My kids, born in 2012 and 2017, both love to go to games with me, hell my son is fighting with his sister right now to go with me on Sunday, but they are only fans because of me. My son walked in when Wisconsin took the lead in the 2nd half and said Ugh why does IU have to suck so bad. My heart sank cause I really didn't know how to explain to an 11 yo why IU sucks so bad without sounding like a conspiracy theorist. I want them to experience what I did growing up. I was very young but I vaguely remember the '87 Championship because we all went to my grandparents to watch the game and my family was going nuts. I definitely remember the early 90s and met several players at different basketball camps, still have my little IU Looney Tunes shirt signed by Pat Graham and Steve Hart.

‘Chief of Staff’ sounds like IU is on a military operation for its men’s basketball program.  GM position.  Get more people involved and let the money flow for someone who is to join the Elite Status Club.  Life is good.

As I said last night when you have clowns in charge don't get mad when it turns into a circus
And just think if Woodson can finish 10-10 conference next year they will gladly give him another year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, TTT said:

‘Chief of Staff’ sounds like IU is on a military operation for its men’s basketball program.  GM position.  Get more people involved and let the money flow for someone who is to join the Elite Status Club.  Life is good.

Sounds better than what we know it will be, "Woodson's incompetent friend needed a job"

If so, they must already have something brewing and something up their sleeves.  Might be me giving them too much credit.
All it says to me is they are fully aware that people are not happy and they wanted to stop all the Woodson bashing. They know people are mad but they simply don't really care.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

People that are in influential positions and making hundreds of thousands$ usually (3 or 4 or 5 plus) to millions$ often feel they are contributing greatness to society and they are doing you justice by allowing you to breathe the same air as they do.  They do not care about what you think and you should thank them for the favor/s.  There way is always the righteous best way.  Just ask them.  Life is good.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

As I said last night when you have clowns in charge don't get mad when it turns into a circus

I was driving, stopped at a light, looked in the rearview and a clown was looking back at me.

A clown in the car behind me!

1) Creepy

2) An omen 

:)