Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

Hopefully "better portal connections" mean we've done enough back channeling to have a really good idea about who we are going to get. Hopefully some of them will announce shortly after the portal opens. If they are big enough gets, that would reinvigorate some optimism. 

Hopefully "better portal connections" mean we've done enough back channeling to have a really good idea about who we are going to get. Hopefully some of them will announce shortly after the portal opens. If they are big enough gets, that would reinvigorate some optimism. 
Retain mm ware malik gallo and leal. Crean the rest. Go for broke in the portal and build a monster lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Can someone give ideas on who a gm candidate might be? Sorry if I missed it. Wondering what all they would do and who you guys think may be potential candidates?

Throwing good money after bad. When I suggested beefing up the NIL to try and attract a proven coach I think it was you that told me we already sit on $6mil so little need to go higher. Now we’re spiking the pot to try and save Woody? 

This program is so a** backwards it’s crazy.  

Edit to add: This isn’t a dig at Chris. It’s just crazy to me to deploy those resources to save a failing coach instead of try and pull off a coup to land a good one. 
Woodson would need top level talent and I mean top level to do anything in the tourney . Throwing money at this fiasco seems foolish imo. Very shortsighted.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

Woodson would need top level talent and I mean top level to do anything in the tourney . Throwing money at this fiasco seems foolish imo. Very shortsighted.

Pocket change to some of the biggest donors.

13 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Can someone give ideas on who a gm candidate might be? Sorry if I missed it. Wondering what all they would do and who you guys think may be potential candidates?

If past hires are any indication, I would guess somebody completely inept and inexperienced. 

5 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

This is the correct take because of the style of offense he wants to play. The margin of error is so small when you don't shoot many 3's. If Minny hit any 3's at all last night it's a different game. I think they were 5-26. Good teams are not going to shoot like that. It wasn't like they were guarded 3's or anything

If past hires are any indication, I would guess somebody completely inept and inexperienced. 
May have to try to put my app in! Thanks ghost

21 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s very hard to support a program whose biggest priority isn’t winning. It feels like an abusive relationship at this point. 

That “Bruce Pearl wanted to come but Quinn refused” news is going to hit like a ton of bricks. 

There is the problem is that you guys bought into all the rumors that wasn't close to being true. You guys are getting upset over things that you took as gospel yet there is no proof anything with Pearl were close to happening 

5 hours ago, Five Prime said:

IF Woodson gets a GM for the basketball program maybe this could actually work. I'm sure high level college athletics are messy to navigate with NIL and transfer portal, which is a full time job itself. If he can get the players he needs to run the system he wants then maybe...? I'm trying to find the positive here.  

I am sure most top football programs have been doing this GM thing for a couple of years.

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I’ll be watching every game and cheering my @$$ off for my Indiana Hoosiers. That was never and will never be in doubt.

Last night was more enjoyable because I didn't have that sick feeling about a coaching change. I just enjoyed watching IU basketball and hoping for a win.

7 hours ago, Hornsby said:

If you need to hire a gm that means you stink as a coach. Name me one other college with a gm

Most of the top football programs have a GM

4 hours ago, HoosierBoiler said:

I’m having a crazy thought Chris….stay with me yeah Kenny Payne was an awful head coach But one thing he was for KY was an absolute Killer on the recruiting trail. Add to that his time working in the NBA He might be able to help because Woodson isn’t gonna burn up the rd recruiting. Even tho he was a bad head coach he still was at one of the biggest basketball schools in the country so carry’s some cache when walking into a gym. He definitively feels a little icky but he is best friends with Woodson and YA so it wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes Director of “Recruiting” or whatever title you want to call it. It will be entertaining to see where this goes!

I have seen a lot of good assistant coaches be horrible HC and go back and be good assistants again. You see this in football all the time because some coaches aren't cut out to be a HC.

3 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I was wondering about what he meant by that statement since the portal hasn't opened yet

1 minute ago, hoosierhoo said:

Dear Chris007,

I am an emotionally vulnerable 53 year old who still lives in his mother’s basement. I am currently engaged in a significant revisionist history because I am amazingly too immature to accept my disappointment in the coaching situation. Despite the fact that I boastfully posted numerous emails I sent to the IU administration asking for a change, I am now pretending that nothing of the sort ever happened.

I would also like to take this opportunity to lecture the entire fan base on what it means to be a “true fan.” It’s quite simple - if you don’t agree with all of my perspectives, then you’re not an actual fan and I will treat you with disdain.

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts

omg he did send those emails. sheesh 

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

Being better than Archie is a low bar. But yet, after next year Woody’s 4 years of teams will probably be worse in avg De than Archie’s 4 teams.

Archie was able to coach a semi-competitive defense. His god awful offenses are what sank him. Ironically his defense’s weakness was 3 point shooting, too. His offense’s were awful shooting teams as well, but he wasn’t able to generate as good of post play as Woody.   

Man it’s brutal watching this program sometimes…lol

And he will have made the tournament at least 2 more times than Archie. O don’t think Woodson is the worst coach IU has had but I think the names being tossed about are all upgrades (Pearl specifically). 

it has been brutal for almost 2 decades. Haven’t been able to be consistently good. Just blood here and there. After this massaging of the old guard is done IU needs to go hire an elite coach bc that’s what it takes for consistent success. 

First of all I want to apologize to everyone about last night. I was as disappointed as anyone last night about Woodson being brought back and I am sorry to the people I offended. Saying that I also was disappointed in some of our fans saying they hope next year is a disaster and I can't understand that thinking. I would think you would hope Woodson sees the light and make the right changes and has a great year. I think at least the players who decide to represent IU and the fan base would get our support.

The last few weeks it didn't feel right hoping for losses because that would help getting a coaching change. Games like OSU and Maryland where we made great comebacks and made big plays and not being excited just felt wrong.