Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I am sure my comments will go over well but thank you to @Stuhoo for fighting some of the battle.

These players sat around for weeks having to hear a lot. 

- they were all leaving and innuendos it was they can’t stand Woody. People stating things as fact. 

- they suck at FTs etc “get in them gym” - which they were the ones doing just that while media and fans on Twitter go off from their couch. Few realize the hours these guys put in and it is draining mentally when you aren’t winning. 

- their coach, whom they care about and feel they were letting down, needed to be fired with a petition started

- hear the fans say things like “calling Malik out is going to have him transfer, can’t do that” called coaching and when players have a relationship, they expect it. That was just example but everything has been criticized and their coach or they can’t do anything right. 

- how they suck but were missing a senior captain for multiple injuries and Ware for multiple games while Trey had to take on tons of pressure to mold into a 40 mph PG. having Cupps isn’t the same for them and that isn’t a shot at Cupps. 

- they hate losing more than any of you, and had to go through that as well. 

- booing at home during free throws 

Now we have a few saying it was “staged” and forced to do it. It never ends. I’m sorry but Trey didn’t have tears until it came to talking about Woody. That was real. 

It never stops. It was “I don’t see other of those guys back” - now they come back and it is they suck, Malik and MM probably won’t be. 

My favorite of all is how they are “soft” because they can’t take the criticism but we have lots of grown men here all emotional because they pushed back. Maybe don’t be so soft 

Stop treating them like babies.  Whether you like it or not, going after fans is a bad look.   

How much money did Leal and Galloway get to “come back?”

7 hours ago, Shooter said:

Galloway didn't say anything of the sort. He gave a standard senior day speech, then at the end said he's coming back for next year. Thanked the IU fans, called them the best in the country. Leal gave a short speech, said he was coming back, and told the fans to "chill". It was a little aggressive, but I have no problem with him supporting his coach.

Woodson's comments rubbed me the wrong way for sure. I got the vibe that Mike Woodson thinks Mike Woodson IS Indiana basketball. So if you criticize or question anything Mike Woodson does, you're not a "true fan" of IU. 

He definitely thinks highly of himself.  Next time he walks on water, I want to see it!

These kids opened themselves up to legit criticism when A.) They chose to attend a basketball hungry university like IU and B.) They began getting paid.

I don't remember anybody questioning the character of specifically Leal and Galloway on here. If anything, those 2 have been shown love, deserved or not, more than any player on that roster. Of course all of this is moot if most players beyond Leal and Galloway head for the exit 

5 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I think some don’t realize how bad these attacks are and the volume they have reached. Pure hate. 

As I have been trying to say for days, how many players and recruits need to tell you before we as a fanbase stop? You can still be upset, not lower your expectations, etc. Woody and the guys are taking about the stuff that has crossed the line and lies told about them. Fake insiders making **** up about them they know isn’t true. Yes, the booing at home is little much too.

now, you might say, what can I do? Help to tone it down. Call out Twitter posts or comments when you see them. If you think you can’t have an impact on that then why do we think being “really mad about it” is going to change things either. 

Nothing bad ever came from supporting. This take that somehow that means you help lower the standard is so odd to me. The players have a higher standard than fans and hate losing more. Problem is many don’t understand or believe that. 

The fight and will to not give up proves they have a lot more of that than many posters here honestly. 

I haven't gone at the players directly.  I have shared conjecture on who may stay or go.  How do you think Cupps would feel about what you have expressed on these forums about him?  Or is it okay to **** talk players if we are using it as an excuse as to why Woodson isn't doing better?  Wonder what CJ Gunn thinks of St. Mike....

10 minutes ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

Izzo had an equally poor year.  He just managed to take care of the garbage teams like he was supposed to.  The last thing he needs is people thinking 10-10 in what has been an awful Big Ten and around 18-13 overall was a bad job.  He would be pointing at himself with that.

I found it interesting that yesterday, the announcer (Spero Dedes) said at least twice -- and maybe more; I missed a small portion of the game -- that IU had confirmed Woody was coming back. 

I don't recall that ever happening. There were several "sourced" reports that was the case -- but nothing ever came from IU itself as far as I know. And I wasn't necessarily expecting such a statement or release. 

Of course, Woody confirmed he is the coach after the game -- LOL. But I'm not sure that counts! 

I really want Dolson to shock the world so bad. That senior day speech made it appear that won’t be the case and it is what it is I guess and I’ll just hope for the best,  but I agree with others that I don’t get how there were just “sourced” reports and nothing concrete from Dolson or anyone else with actual quotes saying he’s gonna be back. Is it really just a matter of his contract says he’ll be back so there’s no need to say it? Even still, I see no harm in actually saying so themselves to prove it if that’s the case. Must be the “can’t stand Woody at all anymore” in me. 

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I found it interesting that yesterday, the announcer (Spero Dedes) said at least twice -- and maybe more; I missed a small portion of the game -- that IU had confirmed Woody was coming back. 

I don't recall that ever happening. There were several "sourced" reports that was the case -- but nothing ever came from IU itself as far as I know. And I wasn't necessarily expecting such a statement or release. 

Of course, Woody confirmed he is the coach after the game -- LOL. But I'm not sure that counts! 

He is coming back.  Might as well just accept that now.  

10 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

My first venture into IU fandom was watching the Steve Downing led team get screwed v UCLA. I am right there with you.

Still, do you want to root on guys who stand up for their coach and university? Regardless if they stepped on toes, they care enough to speak out. Neither you or I know that they were encouraged to say what they did by Woodson. Maybe they were. Again, the other side of the coin is that people have been critical about bringing in a bunch of guys in the portal who have no real connection to IU. 

So which is it? 

I was OK with Woodson getting hired but it’s a lot of stuff after that is why I feel the way I do.  Many of us feel that this team could have and should have been a solid tournament team, instead we are on the way outside looking in.  This team was at least a shooting guard away from that and the fact he left a scholarship open, just seems to me he didn’t try hard enough and only concentrated on a select few and that is what put me over the edge that was on top of the other stuff.  Now throw in him attacking the fanbase like it’s all our fault.  When you point a finger, there is always 3 pointing back at you.  

3 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I really want Dolson to shock the world so bad. That senior day speech made it appear that won’t be the case and it is what it is I guess and I’ll just hope for the best,  but I agree with others that I don’t get how there were just “sourced” reports and nothing concrete from Dolson or anyone else with actual quotes saying he’s gonna be back. Is it really just a matter of his contract says he’ll be back so there’s no need to say it? Even still, I see no harm in actually saying so themselves to prove it if that’s the case. Must be the “can’t stand Woody at all anymore” in me. 

He's pretty clearly coming back. 

6 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I think some don’t realize how bad these attacks are and the volume they have reached. Pure hate. 

As I have been trying to say for days, how many players and recruits need to tell you before we as a fanbase stop? You can still be upset, not lower your expectations, etc. Woody and the guys are taking about the stuff that has crossed the line and lies told about them. Fake insiders making **** up about them they know isn’t true. Yes, the booing at home is little much too.

now, you might say, what can I do? Help to tone it down. Call out Twitter posts or comments when you see them. If you think you can’t have an impact on that then why do we think being “really mad about it” is going to change things either. 

Nothing bad ever came from supporting. This take that somehow that means you help lower the standard is so odd to me. The players have a higher standard than fans and hate losing more. Problem is many don’t understand or believe that. 

The fight and will to not give up proves they have a lot more of that than many posters here honestly. 

I have never seen that stuff started on this message board.  I think all of that harsh stuff you are mentioning came from Purdue and Kentucky fans stirring the pot!

9 minutes ago, FWHoosier84 said:

Here's my take on the true fans and "y'all need to chill" comments....I'll chill and be a "true" fan, but don't call yourself an elite program or a blue blood. Those types of programs would never put up with dumpster this fire. I'm glad the team pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and finished 6th. They could have folded and said screw it, but they didn't. Unfortunately, it was too little too late. NIT berths should be considered bad years, even in rebuilding years.

IU isn't coming off a B1G championship and Elite 8, they finished 2nd and 3 clear of their rival. They didn't even make the B1G tournament finale. They made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament and got molly whopped by a lower seed.

I consider 2022-2023 as a "good" year. If last year is what the program and administration considers a great year, then IU is no different than Iowa or Minnesota. If that is the case, then just tell the fan base that is the standard. Don't come in all high in mighty saying you're going to return the program to national prominence then get mad when the fans expect national prominence (by year 3!) and get delivered a NIT bubble result. 

It actually took those true fans calling them out to get them to play harder and for Woodson to coach harder.  It should have never came to if Woodson was doing his job correctly 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

He's pretty clearly coming back. 

Oh I agree, especially after how the senior speech went down. Just can’t stand how he went about it. I know he will be back, just wish he wasn’t. Not that it probably matters at all since Woodson has the right people in the right places, but id be curious to know how Dolson felt about what he said about the fans and his cockiness about being back. Dude is really rubbing people the wrong way. I guess I don’t see why he couldn’t have been like “I understand people being upset, we’re upset too.”….but instead he made it sound like “shame on you for not being happy with how Mike Woodson wants to run this team. You’re supposed to be ok with everything I do because I’m Mike Woodson and what I’ve done so far is spectacular”

Once he buys a bunch of TJDs and JHSs in the portal and wins a bunch of games, he’ll just puff out his chest and say he’s the best coach in the world. I’ll very obviously be glad that we are winning games and love every minute of that, but I think HE needs to be the one to “chill” on what’s he’s accomplished so far and who he thinks he is.