Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Just curious, what is the "sure thing". How would you define that? Who would be a "sure thing" in your opinion?

Let's look at Pearl or Drew vs May.  Same number of FFs i believe so from that criteria, a good one, there is little difference.  Except, Crean got to a FF too.  As did Mike Davis, hmm.  Ok well some would argue that Dusty built FAU from nothing.  This is true and certainly noteworthy and helps build the case for him.  But how do you know he did not just get lucky with a few recruits that elevated the team?  The fact that none were top 100 kids is good but there have been examples of non top 100 kids outplaying their ranking.  Can he build class after class to compete like the one he has now? Can he recruit at a P5 school? Top 25/50 player are different and can he excel with them?

Sure thing candidates to me are able to have sustained success at the P5 level.  Dusty has had a good record playing P5 teams but having to play in a P5 conference game after game is just different.  His record against P5 gets him consideration for sure but not doing it on a regular basis leaves doubts.  Pearl, and Drew have had some down years but generally once they get rolling they keep rolling.  Class after class always in the top 20.  Dusty is not in this category yet.

Can we get a sure thing guy to come in here and leave where they have become the sure thing?  Maybe not.  If not, then that is how you get to the next tier.  Would Dusty be better than a guy like Greg McDermott?  Greg has had some sustained success but has not made the FF run and has not been in a P5.  But he does show he can repeat year after year which is more than Dusty has.

I would be fine with Dusty but he comes with some questions.  A sure fire guy like Pearl has a lot less questions about the results he could produce on the court.

54 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I am not having a pity party for either of them. I am saying, these are true factors for coaches and for sure the younger ones. You can say, so what, they would be rich, they all think they will win, etc. some truth but it is a factor. Again, why IU? It doesn’t make sense for so many coaches. 

I can do OSU, Michigan, Louisville or so many programs that don’t have near the challenges. This is why buyouts and contracts end up crazy and fans wonder why programs agree to them. 

Again, this is why Pearl does make so much sense. He doesn’t have that worry at all. 

I don't even know what you're saying anymore with all this verbal diarrhea.  Coaches don't not come to IU because it could "ruin their career."  They don't come to IU because it isn't the program it once was and there are actually better jobs out there at this point.  

1 minute ago, iubhounds2 said:

That would be hard for even them to predict because the 24-25 team is a complete unknown. Just with graduation, NBA declares, the normal transfers ... Woody will be looking to plug in 8-9 new players. How many of those transfer portal guys EXPECT to start every game? How many late high school signees will or can he find, still they are freshman when they arrive. I think next year is totally unpredictable as far as the roster goes. As far as the W/L and conference standing ... too many new players equals worse than this year's record and B1G standing. This is only my opinion because I AM NOT one that thinks Woodson should get next year.

I'm saying, what would they say Woodson needs to do to earn a fifth year after 24-25? Not what they think the team will do (which, I agree,  is unknowable at this point).

38 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

It will be for starter level players. Depth is harder.

Fans think the system is an issues more than most all recruits. Don’t have to trust my insight on that, read their interviews. You can say that is platitudes but they call it out a lot as a positive. 

We have TG ready to set the single season big ten record for assists for IU. He is a 3 and playing point. What PG looking to play next level wouldn’t love that

Any of them that have the ability to go somewhere else that isn't the dumpster fire IU will be next year with Woodson.  

That would be hard for even them to predict because the 24-25 team is a complete unknown. Just with graduation, NBA declares, the normal transfers ... Woody will be looking to plug in 8-9 new players. How many of those transfer portal guys EXPECT to start every game? How many late high school signees will or can he find, still they are freshman when they arrive. I think next year is totally unpredictable as far as the roster goes. As far as the W/L and conference standing ... too many new players equals worse than this year's record and B1G standing. This is only my opinion because I AM NOT one that thinks Woodson should get next year.
I think it's more along the lines of what would we expect an iu coach to be doing in year 4. I would say 25 wins and a sweet sixeteen really should be expected in year four. Top 4 in the conference. I don't see Woodson ever making a sweet sixeteen even if they gave him 7 years.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

I think it's more along the lines of what would we expect an iu coach to be doing in year 4. I would say 25 wins and a sweet sixeteen really should be expected in year four. Top 4 in the conference. I don't see Woodson ever making a sweet sixeteen even if they gave him 7 years.

I think this is reasonable. The next question then is what are the odds that Woodson can achieve that given the state of the roster? I think it's about 30% at best. But I think you'd need to be at least 60% certain (and possibly even higher) in order to being him back. 

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Why 2024s? Because he is probably shooting too high and he only wants instant starter guys. Can’t get them in HS, go to portal. Can disagree but that is why. Not because he can’t land a PG. D Davis was one he could still have if he wanted him. The pool in the portal for impact PGs is way higher than HS. 

this much I know, we will look back in couple years and college ball will look nothing like it does now with roster building. Now that multiple transfers are fine, NIL can now be school and not just collectives, more programs have had time with it, it is going to change HS recruiting forever. It is also going to cause a ton more de-commits every spring for top level guys. Guys that are committed now, won’t be. The spring is where majority of roster building will be done. This is the challenge with believing you can see the roster at all right now at any school. 

That’s a lot of words to say next season is completely based on the portal. Not player development. Not coaching. But landing enough talent to compensate for past failures. IU’s season could be done by the end of May. And for what? That is the plan of literally every single coach on the hot seat right now. “Just give me a chance with the portal”. I feel confident in any coach that has been mentioned recently taking over than the current staff putting all their chips in the portal.

I think this is reasonable. The next question then is what are the odds that Woodson can achieve that given the state of the roster? I think it's about 30% at best. But I think you'd need to be at least 60% certain (and possibly even higher) in order to being him back. 
I would say 5% I think last year was his absolute ceiling. He is never going to have another tjd who can will his team to victory. Without tjd his ceiling is 20 wins max imo.

33 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I posted my emails to Dolson here and it has my full name on it. If this poster wants to know I live in Greenfield and went to high school at Knightstown. I graduated college from IU East. That is far as I go no SSN or bank accounts 

Mother's maiden name?

Oldest sibling's middle name?

City you met your spouse in? 

1st school?

TIA

1 hour ago, J34 said:

That's not dissing guys on stats, those were literally his stats. However,  I will diss a 6th year, 24 year old man for the way he has represented this team/university with his dirty play and uncalled for actions. Leaders don't lead this way. 

That's all irrelevant. I was only talking about this game, and again he seemed to have an impact. You don't want to see one because you're focused on his TO's and want to now dis on him as a "24 year old man" that's fine.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

I posted my emails to Dolson here and it has my full name on it. If this poster wants to know I live in Greenfield and went to high school at Knightstown. I graduated college from IU East. That is far as I go no SSN or bank accounts 

OK. So what about your Netflix password?

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So, someone who just won a national title and may win another and IU has zero chance of getting?

Anything is possible, just look at who Indiana hired. A non qualified candidate for the most important position on campus. Don’t tell me nothing is impossible. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You can’t make this stuff up. Ware has a career night, we need a fire alarm to pull out a 4 point win against a struggling Wisconsin team and that’s Indiana at its best. Go Team

Optics of what was said compared to what he sat as the goals for what he wanted to do is not great.   Nobody wants to see an IU  legend struggle or at least I don’t but coaching and roster construction isn’t the only thing he is struggling at right now and with a job like IU everything is under a microscope and everything will be analyzed.  Not sure if he actually thinks that’s IUs best but for this year that was their best win by far (not saying much).   Last I projected the field IU was 1-11 against tourney quality teams this year with 6 of those losses by 15+.   IU can and should do better then that 

You can’t make this stuff up. Ware has a career night, we need a fire alarm to pull out a 4 point win against a struggling Wisconsin team and that’s Indiana at its best. Go Team
I thought crean said some odd things but Woodson seems to live on a different a planet.