Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

19 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

So if we have no traction in the portal is there a chance they fire / retire Woodson?

Retire? You never know.

Fire? I think that the sole benefit of a portal season failure will be that we will, without question, start a new era next March.

9 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

Thats the plan brother. That and following High School ball. My son asked me what we were going to do since we weren’t going to anymore IU games. We sat and made a list of Indiana High School gyms we want to visit and watch games in. We checked off New Castle and will go to state this coming weekend. 

I did this with my dad as a kid. He usually found a cool hole-in-the-wall restaurant to stop at on the way. Then that led me to officiate in a lot of these gyms across southern Indiana. Great experience. There is not a liquor store or bar that I can't find close to an HS in the southern half of the state.  

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I did this with my dad as a kid. He usually found a cool hole-in-the-wall restaurant to stop at on the way. Then that led me to officiate in a lot of these gyms across southern Indiana. Great experience. There is not a liquor store or bar that I can't find close to an HS in the southern half of the state.  

For me? Now that Dusty May and likely most of his key pieces are gone, I can return to the days of FAU tickets for $15, center court tenth row, free parking; as a game-day walk-up!

9 hours ago, johnsoniu said:

Probably didn’t make your list but you should put The Cave in Mishawaka on your list. Oldest active gym in the state. Cool venue. While in town you can check out the statue to honor Marv Wood, the real life Norman Dale.

I’ll add it to the list. We still have to visit North Side gym and that is in the area. 

12 hours ago, HoosierBoiler said:

I think Woodson is kinda like me and wanting to be in better shape.I want to do it and I want to put time and effort into losing weight but at the end of the day I like pizza more. He likes the idea of being IU’s coach but when it comes time to put in the effort of recruiting etc he would rather golf or go on vacation etc

I like pizza

17 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’ll add it to the list. We still have to visit North Side gym and that is in the area. 

Come check out the “hangar” at Adams Central. Not real big but it is different.

12 hours ago, cbp4iu said:

IU needs to make sure if they have a bad season next year that they don’t have a situation like Louisville is having. Scott has got to nail down his guy and have him committed/handshake

Exactly this. I don’t know yet who UL pulls, but so far it looks like they are not garnering the interest I would have assumed with some of the numbers being leaked. Our recruiting of HS players is completely irrelevant until we get a new coach. Lame duck coaches don’t win recruiting battles. Hell, we didn’t win any when he wasn’t a lame duck. Our brand isn’t the same as it was even when TC took the job. “It’s Indiana” was a lifetime ago. I think the list of coaches willing to risk their careers on a really difficult rebuild gets shorter and shorter the longer Woody is allowed to play “NBA Jam” with our college roster. 

7 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Exactly this. I don’t know yet who UL pulls, but so far it looks like they are not garnering the interest I would have assumed with some of the numbers being leaked. Our recruiting of HS players is completely irrelevant until we get a new coach. Lame duck coaches don’t win recruiting battles. Hell, we didn’t win any when he wasn’t a lame duck. Our brand isn’t the same as it was even when TC took the job. “It’s Indiana” was a lifetime ago. I think the list of coaches willing to risk their careers on a really difficult rebuild gets shorter and shorter the longer Woody is allowed to play “NBA Jam” with our college roster. 

The UL search is very interesting and worth watching because we very well be in a similar situation next year if Woodson bombs in the portal and/or can't figure out how to put the pieces correctly until it's too late, like this year.

Obviously May won't be coming. Shrewsberry will probably be turning the corner with ND, would he want to leave and start all over...again? Schertz most likely will have just finished year one somewhere new, so don't see him leaving. I'm sure there are other young coaches I'm not even aware of, but I don't know of any that excite me like those 3. 

Then there are the older established guys. I personally don't like that route just because I'd prefer to have somebody in place for 10+ years, but beggars can't be choosers, right? Pearl will be another year older. Cal if he doesn't get fired this year and UK finally collapses?

Are we going to end up having to go with someone like Michael Lewis because he'd actually be interested in the job?

4 minutes ago, kottke said:

The UL search is very interesting and worth watching because we very well be in a similar situation next year if Woodson bombs in the portal and/or can't figure out how to put the pieces correctly until it's too late, like this year.

Obviously May won't be coming. Shrewsberry will probably be turning the corner with ND, would he want to leave and start all over...again? Schertz most likely will have just finished year one somewhere new, so don't see him leaving. I'm sure there are other young coaches I'm not even aware of, but I don't know of any that excite me like those 3. 

Then there are the older established guys. I personally don't like that route just because I'd prefer to have somebody in place for 10+ years, but beggars can't be choosers, right? Pearl will be another year older. Cal if he doesn't get fired this year and UK finally collapses?

Are we going to end up having to go with someone like Michael Lewis because he'd actually be interested in the job?

Sounds like Louisville is taking a long look at Schertz now

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Retire? You never know.

Fire? I think that the sole benefit of a portal season failure will be that we will, without question, start a new era next March.

So if we largely fail in the portal, we'll still have to endure a subpar to mediocre season just to fire him next March.

Most likely scenario to me is we get good-not-great additions and basically have the same win total next season. 

12 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

That’s fine you feel that way.  I post here bc I’ve done so for a decade and it’s become a habit. Also I really enjoy the banter with other posters. Normally I’d be engaged in recruiting. I can’t tell you who or how many portal prospects we are in on. Simply don’t care. Recruiting? No idea what’s going on other than last time I checked we had 0 kids signed to the class where we needed guys. in the past I always had sneaking suspicions that the administration was inept but held out hope that they just had a string of bad luck. After this season, it’s been completely exposed that the program is not only inept, but corrupt and enriching themselves and friends. I resent them for it. Enough to have committed to withdrawing support in every possible way. I’m not interested in being an IU fan anymore. It doesn’t even hurt to say that anymore. 

Shamfully, I admit that I’m now starting to get feelings of satisfaction watching the program burn. Mainly bc I want the people who run it to face public shame and embarrassment. They deserve it. They certainly don’t deserve the unconditional support of the fanbase. 

I hate seeing this. I hate even more that you nailed my feelings on the nose. Except for contempt for the administration, I really feel very little towards IU basketball these days.

I'd love to have a Oats/Pearl/Hurley type of a coach as regarding coaching energy.  I don't know who fits that billing out there but I enjoy that type of competitiveness. You would think that energy would make it hard to recruit but that doesn't seem to be problem for those guys.  

Anyway, Monday thoughts.

16 minutes ago, kottke said:

I know @AZ Hoosier wouldnt approve, but would anyone on here be okay with looking at Bryce Drew next year?
I personally would hope we would make a bigger more proven hire, but I do wonder if there is a time where we wouldn't be able to pull a proven guy from their current position. 

9 minutes ago, kottke said:

Ideally the best scenario would be hiring a younger coach who can be here for 10+ years. On the other hand, an older, sure-thing guy could basically rehabilitate the program for a future coach.  We were led to believe that was the strategy behind hiring Woodson, but he was the opposite of a sure-thing.  He was a first time cbb coach who had never been involved in much of what is essential (recruiting would be the prime example).

Dolson needs to be ultra-prepared, and willing to put it all on the line for the best coach he can hire (or be allowed to hire).