Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

36 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

So the best case scenario is:

Portal PG

Portal SG

McNeeley

Mbgako 

Reneau

Galloway (6th man)

The problem with that scenario is that the front court defense will be...not good...barring huge leaps from Mbgako and Reneau.

Those Portal guards not only need to bring about 25-30 PPG, but they'll also need to be world class on-ball defenders. Otherwise, with Reneau as the rim protector, he's likely to foul out after 15-20 MPG.

This lineup could be decent next year. Could be really good on offense. And Gallo works fine as a starter if he's surrounded by shooters. But based on Woodson's track record and public comments, it seems more likely we replace Ware with a worse center from the portal and go big again. I wouldn't be shocked if he starts Liam at the 2.

My concerns with Woodson go beyond the prospects for next season. He's not building a program. In three recruiting classes, he has only brought in two multi-year "building block" type players, Reneau and Cupps - and it's not clear yet if Cupps is good enough. He's done well on a few high end recruits and portal guys. But we shouldn't have 5-7 open spots every spring.

32 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

If rumors are to be given any credence anymore, 3 of the actual 4 names you've penciled in supposedly won't be here next year. I hope we can keep them.

What rumors have come true other than McNeely to IU. I wouldn’t worry about what players are leaving just yet. I think it’s going to be a tough year either way and I don’t know what to wish for at this point. 

Just now, IU_FanClub said:

Honestly the last few weeks have been the least fun I have ever had as an IU fan, not knowing whether or not winning would hurt us. After sleeping on it, I think I would rather not do that again haha. We have fired coaches before and it has gotten us to right here so I am willing to see how this goes. Go Hoosiers let's go win the BTT!

The takeaway from this post is truly notable:

• If we derail into a train wreck? So be it; it will be time for a change and given IU's resources there will always be excellent options. That process will be interesting as hell.
  • But if during that time we win three in a row, including wins over a tourney 6/7 seed and two road wins, one over a bubble team that had won their last five at home? ALWAYS root like hell for our alma mater. It has been absolutely excellent to see them play this well lately and I  have enjoyed it thoroughly. 

12 minutes ago, MrBBall said:

My sister didn’t watch the game out of protest. For her to do something like that is huge. And she’s about as forgiving a person as I know. I’m done until it’s all over. 

Your sister should have watched last night. Our Indiana Hoosiers played really, really well, and took full advantage of a team that was less focused. It was a super fun watch.

9 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I will send you a DM tomorrow to explain everything. And I will pass on to everyone what a couple of IU coaches think of Woody. 

Would love to get one, too... very curious to learn what happened... thanks, man.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

The takeaway from this post is truly notable:

• If we derail into a train wreck? So be it; it will be time for a change and given IU's resources there will always be excellent options. That process will be interesting as hell.
  • But if during that time we win three in a row, including wins over a tourney 6/7 seed and two road wins, one over a bubble team that had won their last five at home? ALWAYS root like hell for our alma mater. It has been absolutely excellent to see them play this well lately and I  have enjoyed it thoroughly. 

It was time for change this season. We need to stop hanging on to bad coaches for too long.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

It was time for change this season. We need to stop hanging on to bad coaches for too long.

That's a fair opinion.

But until they play the games, do the financial math, review what promises have been made and need to be kept, and (this is an important one) take the temperature of the opinions of key players, the cake is not baked.

Not surprised that Woody is to be back.

I want Ware to be at Indiana next year...and playing better.  I wonder what the odds are.  But if he goes pro, then that would help IU recruit.  IU will need a better defender in the middle than Reneau next year.  

We need a point guard that has some size.  We need shooters.  We need basketball players that can make plays and create.  We need experience.  We need Mgbako to get better.

We need the team to play like a team before the Big Ten starts every year. 

We need the IU's use of the NIL to step up...like some have said.

We need someone on the bench that can help Woody maximize matchups and design plays.

Blocking out and getting rebounds would be nice.  As would moving feet and not reaching in on defense.  

Getting into the NCAAT every single year is a requirement.  So is having world class guards.  Competing at the top of the Big Ten year in and year out is a good goal.  Making a huge run in the NCAAT every 4 years is a requirement.  

Not churning head coaches every few years would be advantageous. 

In other words, I have nothing new to add.  And I always cheer for IU to win.  I can't do otherwise.

57 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

So the best case scenario is:

Portal PG

Portal SG

McNeeley

Mbgako 

Reneau

Galloway (6th man)

The problem with that scenario is that the front court defense will be...not good...barring huge leaps from Mbgako and Reneau.

Those Portal guards not only need to bring about 25-30 PPG, but they'll also need to be world class on-ball defenders. Otherwise, with Reneau as the rim protector, he's likely to foul out after 15-20 MPG.

Need a rim protector. Malik can't guard 5's. He'll foul out faster than he already does.

18 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

I am at a loss, I just don't understand how there can be so many in the media jumping aboard the let's move on train, all of the smoke flaming from "insiders," and not have one single statement from Dolson, Buckner, or anyone at IU. Just an article by Osterman? I have come to terms that he will be back next year, but nothing about what has transgressed in the last 24 hours makes any sense. I'm not on Peegs, but to hear everything that was coming out from him, then to hear the podcast he did right before the game last night, you would have never believed he said any of that stuff. As a late arrival to the dump Woody train, I feel a little bushwhacked :107:

It's almost as if the media and "insiders" made the story to be more than it was.  Woodson wasn't going anywhere, IU just only announced he was coming back next year to put an end to the rumors.  In a year or two he will ride off into the sunset on his terms which was always the plan.

21 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

I am at a loss, I just don't understand how there can be so many in the media jumping aboard the let's move on train, all of the smoke flaming from "insiders," and not have one single statement from Dolson, Buckner, or anyone at IU. Just an article by Osterman? I have come to terms that he will be back next year, but nothing about what has transgressed in the last 24 hours makes any sense. I'm not on Peegs, but to hear everything that was coming out from him, then to hear the podcast he did right before the game last night, you would have never believed he said any of that stuff. As a late arrival to the dump Woody train, I feel a little bushwhacked :107:

It helps if you view IU as a bumbling administration that can’t get out of its own way, instead of a Machiavellian one with a secret plan. 

1 minute ago, hoosiersoxfan said:

It's almost as if the media and "insiders" made the story to be more than it was.  Woodson wasn't going anywhere, IU just only announced he was coming back next year to put an end to the rumors.  In a year or two he will ride off into the sunset on his terms which was always the plan.

It's a stupid a$$ plan. No serious program would've hired him, let alone hang on to him like that. There's no foundation because of how poorly he's done, he didn't deserve another year.  It's just proof IU stopped giving a crap about this program a long time ago.

12 hours ago, Scotty R said:

So tell me what these so called insiders been right about, firing Woodson no, hiring Brad Stevens no. I don't understand how this fan base be so gullible and keep falling for the same routine.

Yeah. I said it some time back. It is like a rinse and repeat every time. Yet, people fall for it over and over.

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

It helps if you view IU as a bumbling administration that can’t get out of its own way, instead of a Machiavellian one with a secret plan. 

I'd hope they're bumbling idiots, otherwise I'd think they're actively trying to kill the program.