Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, AnotherSznOnTheBrink said:

Hot take: we may be better off in the long run without Malik. He really only works playing beside another big because he can’t rim protect or rebound at an efficient rate, but he is truly only effective offensively on the low block. He doesn’t fit in a true 4 or 5 out offense. 

Exactly!  But why not bring him off the bench, like he should have been

I might just be insane... But I'd rather have Ware back and Reneau transfer to an SEC. Again, I might just be crazy. Unless Reneau can become a threat from mid range out and not just a lost up guy, he's hurting us most nights. Things started going downhill last night while we were trying to force feed Reneau instead of Ware. If Reneau can be a guy that can actually shoot with confidence and be able to attack off the bounce from the perimeter and be able to slash, he'd work as a 4. But he parks in the 5-10 feet area and it really screws the offense. If Woody comes back, that's on him to get Reneau to be that kind of player. Foot speed, quickness, ball handling and outside shooting should be the only things Reneau works on over the summer.

More than anything it's not going to be if IU wins any more games or not. It will be about if Dolson can get a proven coach locked up. If he does that then it doesn't matter if we win out. 
Interesting. Sounds like the tides are shifting based off of what you're hearing. There is hope. C'mon Scott!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

So not a single person on here has ever played any sport at a high level. Find that hard to believe. 

It was a genuine question 

I would say the level of intensity they brought last night was from them being sick and tired of losing games. The negativity has definitely weighed on them and credit to the team they were able to positively harness that last night. 

Interesting. Sounds like the tides are shifting based off of what you're hearing. There is hope. C'mon Scott!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

We can only hope so.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Never seen this board so upset over a win lol. I live up here in Madison, and I had to watch them smack us in person so I really appreciate the team pulling together for that one

I've said from the beginning that Woody only needs to give the AD a reason not to fire him. They don't wanna go through the money, donors, BoT, but they need something to build a narrative on.  I think as of now, he has flipped the odds once again in his favor. It's not quite over, 0-4 still gets him fired imo but I think 1 more win puts it at 50/50, 2 more makes him likely safe. I said the same thing about Tom Allen. He had it when he beat Wisconsin, but couldn't pull out any of the last 3. No matter what, I expect a staff shake-up this offseason. 

One way or another I don't see the Woody tenure lasting past next year anyway, all his buyout leverage will be gone, he will still lack recruiting momentum, and he will be 67. I will be really upset about losing another great in-state class to Purdue and having to watch another year of this system but I'm confident we at least won't be as bad as this year.  

Another year isn't ideal, but I will still hold out hope. There will still be young, promising coaches whose dream job is IU in a year.  The major risk is Dusty taking OSU or another P5 job, meaning if we wanted him in 1 year we would have to pay a massive buyout. I still think he would leave any job for us, but it certainly makes it more difficult. Shrews has now won 4 of 5 and has the sixth-youngest team in the country playing top 30 defense. They will be competitive next year. So one more year won't kill the program or our chance of finding a good coach. But I guess we will see how the final games play out

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

90% of the people on here act like they know things they don’t and they are the smartest guys in the room. Difference is those people align with your thoughts so you don’t see that. 

All day long it is the same things and anyone who says anything opposing it is an idiot. 

That is just so much BS. Unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

I would say the level of intensity they brought last night was from them being sick and tired of losing games. The negativity has definitely weighed on them and credit to the team they were able to positively harness that last night. 

Yep.  Ware was responding to Dakich's tattoo comment pretty quickly after having the good game.  They are probably more tired of hearing about it than we are of seeing it.

Number of our members want Dusty May.  Number of our members want a Pearl or Cronin, i.e., a coach who's cut his teeth at the highest level and for a number of years.  I'm ambivalent at the moment and probably reading the room incorrectly but IMO a Dusty May hire doesn't ignite the fan base -- the entire IU fan base and not just the btb fan base.  IMO he wouldn't be perceived as that big of a step up from Woody or Archie because he really doesn't have a track record.  It would be tantamount to a shoulder shrug.  Perception is everything and Dusty doesn't yet have that perception.  

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Most of Woody's supporters look at 2 tournaments in first 2 years as reason he should get another year. Really just a surface level argument. Have you heard much about Dolson's feelings on how Woody is doing in other aspects of the Job? Because that is where a lot of issues lie, not just the bad results this year. 

I could get over (eventually) this year if Woody was crushing it in every other aspect of the job. But he is failing imo, at just about all of it.

Heck, Woody got a $1 million raise for winning 1 tournament game in two years. It’s not out of the realm of possibility to believe that winning a couple more to end the year would be enough to save his job. We’re talking about the same people who gave him the job in the first place. Not exactly a competent bunch. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think Scott has to look at it like this. This is his chance to put his stamp on the department he has always wanted to be in charge of since coming here in 84.

You get Cig & Pearl then you are a hero around here. If you get Cig and stick with Woodson for another year then you don't look so good and will reflect on you when you retire.

He probably doesn't like it but his legacy is also riding on this offseason. 

I think you could be right.  And to be fair, he had the biggest fish nearly hooked last time.  Was the fish merely toying with him or genuinely interested, we may never fully know but most of us wanted the admin to go after a proven winner and SD did that in a big way last time.  The problem IU has with searches is you often have different groups promoting different candidates.  There has often been an Alford group for example.  Perhaps it was because SD was new to his role last time but when he missed on BS it seems the next in line was another groups guy (Woody) instead of letting SD go find another candidate.  

I hope this time around, SD has full run of this process and can develop his own list of candidates (others can offer inputs) but in the end if he is able to choose the next coach, whether it is his #1 or his #4 I am optimistic he will find someone to put his stamp on the program.

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Most of Woody's supporters look at 2 tournaments in first two years as reason he should get another year. Really just a surface level argument. Have you heard much about Dolson's feelings on how Woody is doing in other aspects of the Job? Because that is where a lot of issues lie, not just the bad results this year. 

I could get over (eventually) this year if Woody was crushing it in every other aspect of the job. But he is failing imo, at just about all of it.

Smart people know that was all TJD and we likely underachieved both seasons.  Also, Woody has worn out his welcome and recruiting is dead.  It's only going to get worse.

I don't think any of that is even debatable.