Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol - I'll bite.

It's not likely for Woodson/IU, or for any team, but are you saying that if IU went to the Final Four next season you would still want Woodson fired? If we won the National Championship next season you would not want him brought back?

If Woodson won 18-20 games next season (including multiple blowout losses), finished 6th or 7th in conference and got into the NCAAT as a #12 or #14 seed, then lost during the first weekend, would you feel he should be retained?

I suspect he would be (unless he voluntarily decided to retire). If nothing else, that kind of scenario seems more likely to me than a deep tournament run and as such it’s a potential dilemma I’m more worried about than the opposite one.

10 minutes ago, kottke said:

There were a bunch of "hot" coaches that came off the market the past few days.  2 of them are going to be in our conference next year at Washington and Michigan.

I am not looking forward to next year at all.  You know there is no plan and frankly it feels like we are just setting ourselves back even more at a time when it is a coaching buying market.  I am expecting the typical Indiana thing where we stick with a bad coach one year too long, we don't get any of the pie in the sky "proven coaches" we want, and then we are forced to settle for some guy that excites no one and ends up being another 5 year plug in.

I am a doomer at this point.  Woodson supposedly taking time off for his birthday when we said we were staying out of a tournament to focus on recruiting is so on brand for him.  I literally don't give a **** about what he did in 1980.  He just sucks.

5 hours ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Yeah, things change, but a couple of weeks earlier, Trilly had Gallo all packed up and headed to South Bend. Now there's a bump in NIL, and suddenly there's no other coach that Gallo would want to play for? Kind of makes one wonder.

Has anyone considered that maybe "Trilly" isn't quite as connected as everyone seems to think? Occam's razor here...

5 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

Has anyone considered that maybe "Trilly" isn't quite as connected as everyone seems to think? Occam's razor here...

Yeah I canceled my membership with his Discord. I think he has legit sources but some of this stuff is just to fluid to really know.

1 hour ago, Magisterium said:

If Woodson won 18-20 games next season (including multiple blowout losses), finished 6th or 7th in conference and got into the NCAAT as a #12 or #14 seed, then lost during the first weekend, would you feel he should be retained?

I suspect he would be (unless he voluntarily decided to retire). If nothing else, that kind of scenario seems more likely to me than a deep tournament run and as such it’s a potential dilemma I’m more worried about than the opposite one.

Nope.

My favorite option would’ve been if they’d retired him and hired Dusty May this year.

But my point is, if he exceeds beyond all wildest expectations, then he certainly deserves to continue.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope.

Nope.

My favorite option would’ve been if they’d retired him and hired Dusty May this year.

But my point is, if he exceeds beyond all wildest expectations, then he certainly deserves to continue.

Ah, but what are these "wildest expectations?" That's the fly in the ointment. And who determines what these nebulous expectations are? 

I would assume that Woody's pal Buckner has much less lofty expectations than you or I might have...

Edited by Silat Player

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope.

Nope.

You posed the best case scenario hypothetical, so what about worst case. Say we start the season something like 5-5 or get to January in 16th, 17th, or 18th place and trending towards missing the BTT. Would you be in favor of a mid season firing? Or do we just ride it out? This is the problem behind the “former player vs. current coach” debate IMO. And for the record, while personally I would still prefer to find the coach of the future, if he somehow goes to a EE or FF he’s coming back and would deserve to. I’m not even willing to entertain the idea of him winning a natty with team mercenary hahaha 

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope.

Nope.

My point is that I suspect the ACTUAL expectations for Woodson next season will be minimal, possibly to the extent that simply making the tournament will be enough. Exceeding expectations may not even be an issue in that case. It may be that any serious discussion about a change next winter could only be triggered by another instance of missing the NCAAT.

And even then we will have the same BOT Chair (until 7/1/2025) and donors (I’m tempted to call them “owners” at this point) in place during any hypothetical coaching search, which imo would not be an encouraging sign. 

1 hour ago, Silat Player said:

Ah, but what are these "wildest expectations?" That's the fly in the ointment. And who determines what these nebulous expectations are? 

I would assume that Woody's pal Buckner has much less lofty expectations than you or I might have...

1. Actually recruit, get and keep a HS player.
  2. Make it into the B1G conference tournament.

1 hour ago, OKHOOSIER said:

You posed the best case scenario hypothetical, so what about worst case. Say we start the season something like 5-5 or get to January in 16th, 17th, or 18th place and trending towards missing the BTT. Would you be in favor of a mid season firing? Or do we just ride it out? This is the problem behind the “former player vs. current coach” debate IMO. And for the record, while personally I would still prefer to find the coach of the future, if he somehow goes to a EE or FF he’s coming back and would deserve to. I’m not even willing to entertain the idea of him winning a natty with team mercenary hahaha 

Have to give him a big, fat asterisk.

3 minutes ago, Herotime said:

Any sightings of CMW in The Hall tonight?

Only if they've recently installed a wine bar/cigar lounge with a putting green.