Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Can’t and won’t. We went through this one time with Matta who also had IU as his “dream job.”  

The worst part about having an Indiana guy over there is the raid on recruiting in this state they likely would do. Matta got his share, for sure. 

Part of that is who Matta is going up against for those Indiana recruits.

10 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I posted this a week or so ago, but I think it needs repeating.  I can't see IU pushing/forcing out Woodson to hire another former IU player or manager. That would be too much of an affront to the old guard (Woodson, Buckner, Wittman, etc), IMO, the only way Alford or May can be the coach here next year is if Woodson voluntarily resigns.  

You may be right but the old guard seems to be in the minority anymore

For those that have Dusty May as their #1, genuine question, why? Is it purely because of his age? There are plenty of examples of coaches who had a Final Four run, went to a bigger school almost immediately, and have proven to be totally average at a P5 program.

IMO, IU continuing to hire the potential next thing would be deflating. Sure, he might be the next Coach K but what are the chances of that? Coaches like that come around once in a lifetime. I remember some wanting Holtmann very badly when Crean was canned and that didn't work out for OSU.

Blue Bloods (who stay Blue Bloods) hire sure things with a proven track record in the big leagues or they hire from within. They do this by throwing more money and incentives at them than they currently have. They don't take chances on something that may, possibly, might, potentially be a grand slam. Not saying Pearl is that sure thing, but I put his chances of success here at IU much higher than Dusty's. Dusty's chances of becoming the next Archie Miller are just as good as him becoming the next Bob Knight.

If we want to be a Blue Blood again, time to start acting like it. 

9 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

For those that have Dusty May as their #1, genuine question, why? Is it purely because of his age? There are plenty of examples of coaches who had a Final Four run, went to a bigger school almost immediately, and have proven to be totally average at a P5 program.

IMO, IU continuing to hire the potential next thing would be deflating. Sure, he might be the next Coach K but what are the chances of that? Coaches like that come around once in a lifetime. I remember some wanting Holtmann very badly when Crean was canned and that didn't work out for OSU.

Blue Bloods (who stay Blue Bloods) hire sure things with a proven track record in the big leagues or they hire from within. They do this by throwing more money and incentives at them than they currently have. They don't take chances on something that may, possibly, might, potentially be a grand slam. Not saying Pearl is that sure thing, but I put his chances of success here at IU much hire than Dusty's. Dusty could just be another Archie Miller. 

I don't truly think anyone has Dusty May #1. 

23 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Know the info was good. My confidence in Scott doing the right thing wavers back and forth. 

Is it safe to assume that it's not Scott as much as the "outside influences" (or pressure) on Scott? 

Two things are true: 

1) The sheer numbers will say they fail more than they succeed 
2) It’s still the most likely way to get a HoF coach to your program. Because great coaches in their prime don’t tend to job hop.   
Some work out. Nate oates. But many dont.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Blue bloods don’t hire aging coaches near retirement either.   

If the L’ville rumor if true, that’s a big time move.  

Trilly seems to think that Bruce Pearl's son being named coach in waiting is "the most important thing" to BP. 
Reading between the lines a bit based on some of the exact wording from Trilly, it sounds to me like Dolson is currently working through the pushback everyone has been anticipating. He mentioned getting people to "flip" ... this character in his Discord, who claims to be "a bit of a laughing stock" on HSN - goes by "backalleyguru" - says Pearl to IU is a done deal. He seems to just be blowing smoke though as Trilly could not confirm/wouldn't endorse what he said. That person is claiming Whitten is on board and if Trilly thinks she is not, then Trilly would be "flat out wrong" ... Trilly has not specifically addressed Whitten. The rest of the chat has been debating the whole BOT/QB angle, etc. When he says that BP would be "in line" to be the guy, I wonder how firm that is... 
It certainly would suck for Dusty to go to a conference foe. I completely agree he's unlikely to jump when we come calling down the road. But for me its tough to pass up a relatively sure thing, even when the alternate may be a home run. In 5-7 years, the Shrews timeline may look better. So much can happen in that time, it's impossible to account for the possibilities. What is clear IMO, is that IU would be instantly competitive next year with Bruce Pearl as coach. And that either Pearl or May would be better than year 4 of this staff. 
I just don't know how it can be a done deal when the season is still going on. Also if things are leaking this much Woodson would have to also know all of this now. You would think it would be kept very quiet so not sure what to believe.

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Blue bloods don’t hire aging coaches near retirement either.   

If the L’ville rumor if true, that’s a big time move.  

That's absolutely true. 

I don't classify us as a Blue Blood any more. Sorry, just don't. What we are is a program treading water trying to get back there. Pearl isn't the long term solution, but imo he'd stabilize IU and inject excitement into the program, even if for only a short time, in a way May just won't be able to unless he wins big immediately. Bc if May doesn't, we'll all want him gone in a few years. 

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Some work out. Nate oates. But many dont.

Well... what coached wasn't, at one time, a "small school darling?" I guess that stance always confuses me. 

Knight, Wright, Self, Smart, Mark Few, Painter, Coach K, 

"wasn't" 

Izzo, Tony Bennett

We knew we were in for an emotional roller coaster with the possibility of a search... still not an actual opening. 

And very well may not be one this year. The vibes right now definitely suggest Pearl is using this as leverage to get what he wants from AU and that Dusty would be a hard sell over Woodson for a lot of key people who are in the mix. 

Maybe the last few games do matter quite a bit from that perspective, since this entire process is apparently very optics-driven. Woody may pull off a Mark Twain "The reports of my death (retirement/firing) have been great exaggerated." 

But, the vibes could change again plenty of times over the next few weeks. I'm going to try and mentally prepare for no change

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The longer this goes on, the more my wishlist becomes “anyone but Mike Woodson.” 

It probably should be "living with Woodson year 4". puke. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The longer this goes on, the more my wishlist becomes “anyone but Mike Woodson.” 

I can see where many think like this and I certainly do not enjoy the Mike Woodson experience, but I can think of several B1G coaches who are woefully worse than what Woodson has done in 3 years. He's not awful, but not great. We want great. Fran, Hoiberg, Johnson, Holtmann, Piekell, Howard, Gard all below or near Woodson's output. At most universities Woodson would be totally safe.