Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Remember just because you have millions or billions doesn't mean you know anything about basketball. Also, one family in Bloomington is very loyal to Woodson. Not sure you going to get them on board to get rid of him. They were at the game yesterday and weren't overly disappointed. 

They are the Beverly Settlers, LOL.

But I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money.

A big issue for many must be that we are perpetually paying double for fb & bb coaches - current coach's salary plus the previous guy's buyout.  That has to end.

4 minutes ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

I’m afraid it doesn’t matter who our coach is. We seem to have a losing culture around our program. Like a Red Sox or Cubs curse. 

It can be fixed quickly, and that much more quickly at a place like IU with unlimited basketball resources.

The Red Sox and Cubs had the resources to fix everything once they had the right leadership too. Between them the Red Sox and Cubs have won three of the past eleven World Series.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree but what do you do when it's the #1 donor and the richest man in the state

Woodson has powerful friends in the Cooks and Buckner.  He also has CAA (Creative Artists Agency) behind him that would probably threaten to go scorched earth on IU in the press if IU was to fire coach Woodson. 

10 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Wonder if these are the same sources that told him Edey was in the transfer portal.

So Dane was an assistant at Michigan State for 10 years and there was no word of him being disloyal, but he comes to Indiana for a few months and now can’t get a coaching job. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

18 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I think May and Fife are friends, but loyalty is something any head coach needs in an assistant.  Probably going to be tough for Fife to get an assistant job anywhere.  

Sorry, I got the wrong quote, but this is the one I was referring to. Lol.

6 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Woodson has powerful friends in the Cooks and Buckner.  He also has CAA (Creative Artists Agency) behind him that would probably threaten to go scorched earth on IU in the press if IU was to fire coach Woodson. 

Another couple of bad losses (on the way shortly) and I would think Woody would consider a face saving, legacy saving, way out!

48 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

So much parity in college basketball that almost every candidate for IU is going to have head scratching losses.  The days of teams running the table in the conference are over or at least until the COVID seniors are done and you don’t have 25 year olds playing against 17-18 year olds.    

Just food for thought is that following the first year Butler went to the Final 4, in the 2010/2011 season they went on a 3 game losing streak to Milwaukee, Valpo, and Youngstown State which brought their record to 14-9.

They lost 4 out of 5 games amidst that stretch, with Brad Stevens coaching the returning starters from the previous season's Final 4 team.

Anyone want to turn down Stevens with that knowledge?

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No, I wouldn’t. And Archie did happen. And then Mike Woodson happened. Hiring a third guy in a row with no P5 experience doesn’t exactly reassure me. If he hadn’t been an IU manager 25 years ago people wouldn’t be pushing him nearly as hard as they are. He’s had one great seasons in six years. 

I don't disagree  but a Final 4 appearance and building one of the hottest programs out of a dumpster fire might be just as good of a metric for success. I can't think of a single coach that has ever done that (Final 4 within first 5 years after taking over a sub .350 program that had never won a NCAA tourney game...

30 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Wonder if these are the same sources that told him Edey was in the transfer portal.

Wouldn't be the first or the last time Woody does that..

1925484894_Screenshot2024-02-05at11_24_45AM.thumb.jpeg.5c856dc6e6944f00454a2aad31f2f501.jpeg

18 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said:

So Dane was an assistant at Michigan State for 10 years and there was no word of him being disloyal, but he comes to Indiana for a few months and now can’t get a coaching job. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

Dane and Dusty are pretty close. They talk a lot and Dane spent time w Dusty after being let go from IU. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/dane-fife-has-no-doubt-that-dusty-may-will-be-ready-for-his-one-shining-moment/

16 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said:

philosophy differences(a few other things) between Fife and Woodson was the main issue here as to why he was relieved of his duties.  I think you are starting to see some of the concerns Dane had with CMW

28 minutes ago, JF87 said:

This is a core problem of why we can't get the right hire. Administrators or donors having too much say on who we hire or don't hire. Most schools don't operate like this. They hire an AD that knows what they are doing and let them make the hiring decisions. 

Calbert Cheaney is Director of Player Development both, internal and external.  IU family, a legend, the impact he will have on players per Mike Woodson.  2023.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

12 million buyout why not. Just trying to get ready for the NBA all-star game. An hour after the game was over I was way over knee deep in beers and pain-numbing things

The difference is you are a fan, and not the man in charge of righting the sinking ship... (or the man who is personally sinking the ship).

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

I don't see this program being respectable for at least 3-4 years. Since our admin is clueless, I'm going to assume Woody is here for at least 2 more years. Even if we lose out, I just don't have the confidence they'll fire him.

If he's actually sitting around, lounging, smoking cigars and drinking wine after losing to NW at home, that's a semi-retired man. He doesn't care. He's basking in a nice salary and friends that will protect him. We're screwed.

A guy that smokes cigars has a cigar? That is most certainly NOT the problem.

Disconnected play, unmotivated players, bad roster construction, and players thinking instead of intuitively knowing what to do are the problems.

Woody’s friend posting a picture of a cigar smoker having a cigar is tone deaf and minor-grief inducing, but truly a nothing-burger.

We need some donors with the SEC-donor mentality. Does anyone think an Alabama donor would sit through a football season like our current basketball season, watch from the sidelines as Alabama gets embarrassed at home by Vanderbilt, and be content? Not a chance. Our donors apparently aren’t built like that. 

1 hour ago, Kentuckysucks said:

This was me yesterday.  Doctor probably won't be happy when I get my physical next month.  I'm going to blame Mike Woodson.  Maybe I should just stop caring.

denzel-vodka.gif

I'm 70 years old and been following Indiana basketball and football all of my life. I am not sure that "stop caring" is even possible... but Woodson is sure giving it a go for me.

44 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We need some donors with the SEC-donor mentality. Does anyone think an Alabama donor would sit through a football season like our current basketball season, watch from the sidelines as Alabama gets embarrassed at home by Vanderbilt, and be content? Not a chance. Our donors apparently aren’t built like that. 

Haven't our donors already shelled out $10M to make Archie go away and another $15M to bid fare-thee-well to Allen? 

Can't keep relying on them to bail out our athletic administrators and BOT for making stupid decisions.