Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That toxicity comes from the top.  Woodson set all that ablaze on senior day.  If he fails again there are going to be quite a few people (rightfully IMO) tap dancing on the grave of his coaching tenure here.

He can win me back, but "winning" the summer isn't going to do it and neither is a 22-12 tournament appearance next year.  He nuked the bridge with me and it is completely up to him to rebuild it by winning meaningful games over an extended period.

Yeah I feel similarly

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

My problem with him isn't so much the idea of the money, it is that he is so lazy recruiting throughout the year and then tries to build a team in a month.  Relationships are built through the recruiting process with HS kids.  They come and visit and get to know players on the team and the system.  The school gets a chance to feel them out.  Ample time for everyone to decide if there is a good fit.  I think that leads to building more cohesive teams.

Woodson doesn't give the job the attention it needs.  That is the issue.  He had to go to two billionaires and say, "Mea culpa, can you all float me $2 million since I didn't do my recruiting job the past 11 months?"  That is what is frustrating.  That is what annoys people.  Woody landed another 5* player after 3 days, wow, how awesome.  He has done that every year here though and the results have been decidedly mediocre.  The problem has never been landing talent.  The problem has been the entire approach to roster construction and the style of play.  Everybody knows we are going to get some dudes, we walked up to the table with the ability to match the most bets.  The problem is that we are likely overspending for talent and setting a bar that is going to stick with the program for awhile to just cover up the fact our coach wants an NBA schedule and is a lazy recruiter.

Exactly. Woodson’s results are underwhelming. Imo, his results still warrant firing. However, it’s his attitude that makes me want him fired so bad. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree that other threads have gotten derailed and they shouldn't. If a thread is about a recruit it should stay that way. It is a reality he's coming back it just takes others longer to cope with that reality than some. But you and I agree Fire Mike Woodson. 

I believe we all love IU basketball, that is why we are on here.  I actually don't dislike CMW, in fact I love that he wants to help his alma matter and that he loves IU basketball.  We as fans can hope for the best possible situation for our team and know that CMW is not the answer is OK.  Doesn't mean we hate the man; just means we understand he is not the answer.  I for one love what Crean did for us, but I also know it was time to move on from him. 

PS - fire woodson

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part. But I don't mind being laughed at. 

There has been snark in both directions and a couple posters have been downright hostile towards you and others. I’m certainly guilty of snarky BS lol. However, I also wouldn’t be in a I LOVE COACH WOODSON thread trying to argue they shouldn’t. I think that’s more your point (not to put words in your keyboard). I will always root for IU to win, but count me as President Emeritus of the #nottruefanclub until Woodson is fired. So I will keep comments of that ilk here. 

4 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

There has been snark in both directions and a couple posters have been downright hostile towards you and others. I’m certainly guilty of snarky BS lol. However, I also wouldn’t be in a I LOVE COACH WOODSON trying to argue they shouldn’t. I think that’s more your point (not to put words in your keyboard). I will always root for IU to win, but count me as President Emeritus of the #nottruefanclub until Woodson is fired. So I will keep comments of that ilk here. 

I'm 100% guilty of being snarky. Yes, you made my point better than I did. You have my vote as Pres

5 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I believe we all love IU basketball, that is why we are on here.  I actually don't dislike CMW, in fact I love that he wants to help his alma matter and that he loves IU basketball.  We as fans can hope for the best possible situation for our team and know that CMW is not the answer is OK.  Doesn't mean we hate the man; just means we understand he is not the answer.  I for one love what Crean did for us, but I also know it was time to move on from him. 

PS - fire woodson

I’m sure Woodson loves IU basketball and wants to help it, but the effort (well, lack thereof) he puts in is not that of someone passionate about the job. It’s like he wants to help IU but wants to put in the minimum effort wise to do so. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Exactly. Woodson’s results are underwhelming. Imo, his results still warrant firing. However, it’s his attitude that makes me want him fired so bad. 

And honestly, back to the roster construction, I don't know where this new 5* fits in.  The kid was wanting to go to the Ignite "pro" ball before it folded.  This is a kid who wants to be in the NBA ASAP.  He isn't going to want to ride the bench.  I don't see a starting spot for him that works unless you slide Mgbako to the 4 and Reneau to the 5.  Both things that Woodson has been loathe to do.  Additionally, both things that leave us really susceptible on defense and rebounding.  People are also saying we are high on the Perkins kid, so say you add him.  What are we looking at for a starting lineup?

Perkins, Galloway, Tucker, Mgbako, Reneau? I doubt it.  How comfortable are we with Perkins, Tucker, Mgbako, Reneau, rim protector we haven't landed yet?  I would almost bet dollars to donuts the roster will be closer to the latter.  And that is a talented roster but I don't think it is a roster built to really compete at higher levels.

The staff has to add shooting to the starting lineup, not the bench.  I haven't really seen that addressed yet (granted we still have half the team to fill but if Mgbako stays, I believe we already have 3 starters set.)

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with this. If Coach Woodson wanted me to play golf with him this afternoon at Pfau I would be there with my best bottle of wine. Which is probably something from Oliver Winery so not very good. We sat and talked for almost an hour at Uptown one night, I loved his stories. I just don't think his coaching style is a good fit. I don't think he can or will or wants to change. I wish he would retire so we don't have to say fire Mike Woodson

I prefer Blackberry Purple Toad … my wife’s favorite.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And honestly, back to the roster construction, I don't know where this new 5* fits in.  The kid was wanting to go to the Ignite "pro" ball before it folded.  This is a kid who wants to be in the NBA ASAP.  He isn't going to want to ride the bench.  I don't see a starting spot for him that works unless you slide Mgbako to the 4 and Reneau to the 5.  Both things that Woodson has been loathe to do.  Additionally, both things that leave us really susceptible on defense and rebounding.  People are also saying we are high on the Perkins kid, so say you add him.  What are we looking at for a starting lineup?

Perkins, Galloway, Tucker, Mgbako, Reneau? I doubt it.  How comfortable are we with Perkins, Tucker, Mgbako, Reneau, rim protector we haven't landed yet?  I would almost bet dollars to donuts the roster will be closer to the latter.  And that is a talented roster but I don't think it is a roster built to really compete at higher levels.

The staff has to add shooting to the starting lineup, not the bench.  I haven't really seen that addressed yet (granted we still have half the team to fill but if Mgbako stays, I believe we already have 3 starters set.)

The part about roster construction that makes it tough is our best players all kind of played out of position this season besides Ware. And of course, we want to keep Reneau and Mgbako because they are talented players but then we're filling in pieces where the roster isn't going to look right again. I just don't know how you can watch CBB and not say go get me some good guards. But for some reason we don't.

Just now, Chris007 said:

I've never had it but would like to try it

Take ‘er for a ride…. If you like sweet wines like we do, (mainly my wife, I’m actually an IPA snob) lol…., it will be your new favorite.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

MM did shoot 38% from 3 on 4.9 attempts during conference play, so we may get some shooting from him next year. If he plays at the 4 that would be great, but I’d be surprised if Woodson goes that route after his first three years. He wants to play through the post and doesn’t value the 3 ball  

I’m generally in favor of acquiring talent and worrying about the fit later, but not with this coach. Tucker/MM/Reneau at the 3-5 would be the ideal situation offensively, but not defensively. That’s the problem when you’re filling 6-7 roster spots. You have to take talent when you can get it, but the. The fit can become all jumbled. 

3 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Take ‘er for a ride…. If you like sweet wines like we do, (mainly my wife, I’m actually an IPA snob) lol…., it will be your new favorite.

Not to derail the thread but do you have a favorite IPA these days? I can't find anything new that I like. I'm stuck on Founders all day series mostly because I like buying 15 at a time instead of 6. 

I've heard that Woodson hates beer so for that he should be fired

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with this. If Coach Woodson wanted me to play golf with him this afternoon at Pfau I would be there with my best bottle of wine. Which is probably something from Oliver Winery so not very good. We sat and talked for almost an hour at Uptown one night, I loved his stories. I just don't think his coaching style is a good fit. I don't think he can or will or wants to change. I wish he would retire so we don't have to say fire Mike Woodson

Coach Woodson has three assistants and Armond Hill to discuss basketball and strategize with.  Randy Wittman and I believe one other person were hired as consultants the last few years to provide input to coach Woodson.  The fact that we don't value the three-point shot and incorporate analytics into our style of play and roster construction is all on Mike Woodson.  The information has to have been provided to him, so I have to assume he just chooses to ignore it. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I think I am one! 

I never waivered from "Dusty not Woody in 2024"  and "no Woody in 2025," but I am also genuinely happy at the prospect of Tucker, and potentially Perkins, Conwell, etc. 

Maybe I'm a "party sunny with a chance of heavy storms" guy?

More like you are enjoying the brief sunshine from inside the eye of hurricane Michael as it passes over.   Which I have done twice living in the FL panhandle.

Just now, iu eyedoc said:

More like you are enjoying the brief sunshine from inside the eye of hurricane Michael as it passes over.   Which I have done twice living in the FL panhandle.

Interesting analogy. Storms passed/storms ahead, and good roster additions are the eye of the hurricane. Gonna remember that one.

31 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We had a guy using “getting to know the team” in February as an excuse. And now he needs to turnover over half the roster. You hit the nail on the head with how I view Tucker. Liam filled an obvious and quantifiable need on this roster. Tucker really doesn’t other than filling out the roster. And I agree with you on the NBA thing. He didn’t just come here to come off the bench. So my assumption is what we have is our out of position 2 guard that can’t shoot 3s pushing Gallo to the bench and keep playing MM and MR out of position. I’d almost wager a bet we land someone much better than a bench rim protector. Woody will land a high level 5. And it will be Groundhog Day. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not to derail the thread but do you have a favorite IPA these days? I can't find anything new that I like. I'm stuck on Founders all day series mostly because I like buying 15 at a time instead of 6. 

I've heard that Woodson hates beer so for that he should be fired

3 Floyds has a new variant called Armond Dust...