Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Maybe an unpopular opinion but since he took the UM job, I really don't care to see Dusty succeed from here on out. I don't think we'd be able to hire him away if he is successful, and I don't want him kicking our butts for his entire tenure there. This ship has sailed, likely forever IMO, and sadly he got on board at a conference rival. I don't think he's necessarily the next big thing, but I do think he will eventually grow to be a pain in our sides for a few years. Here's to hoping we find our guy for the long term, when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It’s not proven that we got it right with Dusty, heck everyone thought we got it right with Archie.  We will never know if we would have gotten right until he’s had at least 3 good years at Michigan. Right now you are speculating.  Everything with Dusty was from an appearance in the FF4 where the Red Sea happened to part just right for his team to get there and then the very next year made it into the tournament as an at-large bid from a conference that probably wouldn’t have gotten so many bids if it weren’t for them making it to the FF4, then was one and done in the tournament.  There has been a lot of teams do that over the years.  We will see if his system works soon enough but right now we can only speculate that we would have gotten it right, until it was proven wrong.  You never know!

It's correct to say that we'll never know what Dusty would have done with our resources.  We've seen that Mike Woodson doesn't understand the college game.  I would have preferred to roll the dice on Dusty.  The people that write the checks wanted their buddy Mike, so we'll underperform for a few more years, eke into the tournament a few times, and get this thread to 4000 pages. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

It's frustrating watching college basketball these days, be it IU or any other college. The game has been distilled into an unimaginative combination of three point shooting and lob dunks, making it little more that NBA junior varsity. Ball handling skills, movement without the ball, blocking out, screens, picks and stifling defense, (especially defense), make only token appearances throughout the game on a decreasing number of teams. Regarding IU, I can't think of too many reasons why anyone would come here. We no longer recruit in order to create a great team, one that is capable of winning an NCAA championship. We recruit NBA hopefuls, whose only aim is to get to the next level as soon as possible. In this respect, Woodson is serviceable as a coach, but only in developing individual talent for the next level, but he is incapable of developing a great team. As flawed as Purdue and Illinois are, (and they are flawed), they're light years ahead of us because they employ teamwork, strategy, and cohesiveness. After three years of Woodsen, can anyone honestly say what, if anything, makes his brand of basketball, or IU basketball standout from the rest?

From what I have seen just in the past two weeks, college basketball is all high pick and rolls, penetrate and throw it out for a 3 attempt, some lobs if you have a tall center. Nevada and Purdue are the few that screen away from the ball SOMETIMES to create shots for their "shooter(s)". I will agree those other schools build a roster while Woodson seems to be buying his. Has any of his recruits in his only two recruiting classes worked out? Mgbako, Hood-Schifino and Reneau have. He is behind the eight-ball in recruiting so he doesn't have much choice than use the portal as much as possible. Times in college basketball are changing fast, not as fast as football but fast. We might be "wishful" thinking wanting an offense of any kind.

Edited by IH8PU

My prediction for 23-24 was a middle of pack finish (between 6 and ten).  A win or two in big ten tournament and a win or two in march madness.  Well, my prediction was overly optimistic.  
So, for 24-25 I make the same prediction.  If that happens it would increase percentage that Woodsman continues as coach based on improvement. 

Just now, Trish said:

I love the tweets of Indiana faithful saying Indiana is winning the off-season. They lost their best recruit, lost their best player to the draft, and return a bunch of players who couldn’t make the tournament this past season. 

I wouldn’t call that winning. 

You have a point there. I am not happy either way because I have learned my lesson with Woodson. Not until the B1G season and during that season will I personally know what his team will do. I don't care if they sign more 5-stars or rake in the top 5 portal players with money floating everywhere ... but I wonder.

Would the players that would have replaced Galloway, Reneau and MgBako been better?? None of us know that but for some reason and it might be due to lack of sleep ... I think it's a good thing that all three of them are coming back. BUT BUT ... big shoes to fill in replacing Ware. Lot of open scholarships and lots of questions for next year's team.

13 minutes ago, Trish said:

I love the tweets of Indiana faithful saying Indiana is winning the off-season. They lost their best recruit, lost their best player to the draft, and return a bunch of players who couldn’t make the tournament this past season. 

I wouldn’t call that winning. 

I agree but there were a lot of people saying most of our players were leaving. Now, we see all the key players that can return are.  Recruiting your own is definitely part of winning the offseason. 

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

No doubt true.

Time to learn how to win. Both players and coaches.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Honestly Woodson should have NO EXCUSES next year. HE will determine how the roster is filled. They will be HIS players. BUT like in horse racing, it is hard to teach a horse he can win when they are use to falling behind in the homestretch. Also, the "big three" should have no excuses.  Let's get a center and a shooting guard and some quality bench players from the portal and see what happens. I am not betting a dollar on anything though ... except on the craps table and horses.  LOL

Honestly Woodson should have NO EXCUSES next year. HE will determine how the roster is filled. They will be HIS players. BUT like in horse racing, it is hard to teach a horse he can win when they are use to falling behind in the homestretch. Also, the "big three" should have no excuses.  Let's get a center and a shooting guard and some quality bench players from the portal and see what happens. I am not betting a dollar on anything though ... except on the craps table and horses.  LOL

Yup.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

This.

Finding an opportunity to potentially get it right for 20 years should be the ultimate and only goal.

Then why did we hire Woodson? Bridge my @$$. It was payback for Buckner's pal because he was butt hurt when we hired Archie.

If we truly wanted  a "20-year guy" there was no reason to fart around with an unqualified former Hoosier legend who had no business even in the discussion.

I'd love to see the basketball program come back, but I just don't see it happening with this administration - from Buckner all the way down the janitor that replaced Martha the Mop Lady.

And, oh, yeah, FIRE MIKE WOODSON.

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Then why did we hire Woodson? Bridge my @$$. It was payback for Buckner's pal because he was butt hurt when we hired Archie.

THIS !!!

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

A surely contributing factor in why we did not “fire Mike Woodson:”

Post season discussions with our three best players with a chance to return showed that all three wanted to return to play for…

Mike Woodson.

hmmmm… Why not let the inmates run the asylum. What could go wrong? 

3 best returning players? What’s that even mean? How good could these ‘best players’ be from a team that performed so poorly for such long stretches? Galloway and Mbako? I wouldnt trust those two to run a taco stand, and if Leal is #3… heaven help us. 

9 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

We need a “winner” type guard. A guy who wants to take the big shot and can hit FTs  when it counts.