Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

We had it in Dusty, but evidently the timing wasn't right, or Woodson's friends wanted to prove Woodson can coach even though he underperformed the first 3 years.  

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but what is this little NIL thing proving? I'd guess that many of the regulars around here could coach Indiana as well as Woodson given his absolute lack of interest in recruiting and his "Cook/Simons checkbook" approach to renting a team.  Woodson has not shown me anything coaching-wise that warrants one year, let alone four.

FIRE MIKE WOODSON

Just to make sure, are you still allowed to be along the line of thought of “I’m happy see the players coming back and getting tucker and hoping we kill it in portal and have a good year next year BUTTTT still want Mike Woodson gone”. Is that allowed? Asking for a friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Just to make sure, are you still allowed to be along the line of thought of “I’m happy see the players coming back and getting tucker and hoping we kill it in portal and have a good year next year BUTTTT still want Mike Woodson gone”. Is that allowed? Asking for a friend

My psychiatrist says that is allowed. 

Edited by IH8PU

5 minutes ago, Herotime said:

hmmmm… Why not let the inmates run the asylum. What could go wrong? 

3 best returning players? What’s that even mean? How good could these ‘best players’ be from a team that performed so poorly for such long stretches? Galloway and Mbako? I wouldnt trust those two to run a taco stand, and if Leal is #3… heaven help us. 

Trey, MM, and MR. The problem is that Ware was easily our best player, and he’s gone. During the 5 game win streak at the end of the season he averaged 22/13. Without him IU probably wins 10 games max last year. Will Woodson find a replacement? 

2 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Tell your friend “yes.”

4 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Sure but a good year next year keeps Woodson here for additional years. And a ‘good year’ to this administration probably doesn’t have to be any better than Woodson’s first year. So, if you want Woodson gone, the only hope is another bad season. 

Folks can root however they want to root, obviously, but that’s how I see it. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Will Woodson find a replacement? 

That's the "Million Dollar" question ... but how much of that NIL $6M is left  ?????

1 hour ago, IH8PU said:

From what I have seen just in the past two weeks, college basketball is all high pick and rolls, penetrate and throw it out for a 3 attempt, some lobs if you have a tall center. Nevada and Purdue are the few that screen away from the ball SOMETIMES to create shots for their "shooter(s)". I will agree those other schools build a roster while Woodson seems to be buying his. Has any of his recruits in his only two recruiting classes worked out? Mgbako, Hood-Schifino and Reneau have. He is behind the eight-ball in recruiting so he doesn't have much choice than use the portal as much as possible. Times in college basketball are changing fast, not as fast as football but fast. We might be "wishful" thinking wanting an offense of any kind.

Because he's too lazy to even put the effort into recruiting. If they fall in his lap (Mgbako, Reneau), then fine. But to go meet, watch and build relationships with the kids, their parents and their coaches? He can't be bothered. He had to be told to go see Mullins.

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Because he's too lazy to even put the effort into recruiting. If they fall in his lap (Mgbako, Reneau), then fine. But to go meet, watch and build relationships with the kids, their parents and their coaches? He can't be bothered. He had to be told to go see Mullins.

If you are old like I am, do you want to go watch high school games, then taking away tee times in exchange of AAU ball in the summer, then kissing @$$ on the phone to those parents so the player and parents "feel" the love they speak of on Twitter????? Woodson doesn't either. LOL

34 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I agree but there were a lot of people saying most of our players were leaving. Now, we see all the key players that can return are.  Recruiting your own is definitely part of winning the offseason. 

There's also another $2M in NIL money. Obviously changed a few minds. Trilly had Galloway all packed up and headed to South Bend before Woodson gave him and Leal big raises, and followed it up with the "true fan" crap at Senior Day.

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Well if the three best returning players on a team that missed the tournament want the coach back then your hands are really tied as the AD. 

Money talks, man, money talks.

25 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

Honestly Woodson should have NO EXCUSES next year. HE will determine how the roster is filled. They will be HIS players. BUT like in horse racing, it is hard to teach a horse he can win when they are use to falling behind in the homestretch. Also, the "big three" should have no excuses.  Let's get a center and a shooting guard and some quality bench players from the portal and see what happens. I am not betting a dollar on anything though ... except on the craps table and horses.  LOL

Last year's team was Woodson's team. He didn't get any guards. He left the scholarship open. There were NO EXCUSES this past year, except for "we're new", "we gotta get to work" and that d#*n hump.

FIRE MIKE WOODSON

15 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Not just allowed. Preferred. Expected. Required.

17 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Yes, but not if you are a true fan.

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Last year's team was Woodson's team. He didn't get any guards. He left the scholarship open. There were NO EXCUSES this past year, except for "we're new", "we gotta get to work" and that d#*n hump.

FIRE MIKE WOODSON

Exactly .... what will it be this year??

10 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

If you are old like I am, do you want to go watch high school games, then taking away tee times in exchange of AAU ball in the summer, then kissing @$$ on the phone to those parents so the player and parents "feel" the love they speak of on Twitter????? Woodson doesn't either. LOL

But it is a key part of the job. That was the part that Woodson didn't understand. He had a GM in the NBA, so he had guys procuring his talent (and he was still mediocre). But to coach in college, you have to recruit players, teach them, coach them and develop them. Or, line up a couple of billionaires to rent you a team. We all see which way he went.

Sure but a good year next year keeps Woodson here for additional years. And a ‘good year’ to this administration probably doesn’t have to be any better than Woodson’s first year. So, if you want Woodson gone, the only hope is another bad season. 
Folks can root however they want to root, obviously, but that’s how I see it. 

I’m in the hope or delusional way of thinking, that this offseason the meetings with him went like this - “Mike, we can both admit that this isn’t working out. You’ll have one year with unlimited money to field a team to have your swan song year. After next season, you walk away, head held high and walk off into the sunset”.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

But it is a key part of the job. That was the part that Woodson didn't understand. He had a GM in the NBA, so he had guys procuring his talent (and he was still mediocre). But to coach in college, you have to recruit players, teach them, coach them and develop them. Or, line up a couple of billionaires to rent you a team. We all see which way he went.

I agree 100%