Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, AH1971 said:

So what’s going to happen when he plays a B10 schedule?

Well, you'd have to hope he can build a competitive roster this offseason. If he pulls a Shaheen and takes Johnell Davis with him + a few others, manages to retain Reneau and a few others + some portal pick ups, it could work. I think Pearl would be better able to turn things around quickly. But hope we wouldn't regret the opportunity cost of not moving on May... either is a huge upgrade IMO

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

So what’s going to happen when he plays a B10 schedule?

@RaceToTheTop answered earlier that SOS is taken into account.  I’m not an advanced stats guy so I’ll take the L on that point.

I would hope we could provide May a bit more resources than FAU to combat the step up to the B1G.  The program has never lacked support or resources.  We all know the right dude can turn this thing back into a monster.

I’m not sure that’s him, it’s seems risky.  I’d like to see us just one time swing for the fences.  Throw out a really stupid big number at someone who is an established winner.  The upfront investment would pay off in the long run.  

54 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I agree the brawl was disgusting but not sure how Cronin's handling of it was disgusting.  IMO he handled it better than Mack did.....it was Tu Halloway, Mack's player that made the comment how player's on his own team consider themselves 'gangsters'.  Cronin suspended three players for six games, Mack's longest suspension issued was one player for four.

This brings back memories. That was a wild day of college basketball all around, but it ended up pretty good for all of us :) 

12 minutes ago, Redleader said:

@RaceToTheTop answered earlier that SOS is taken into account.  I’m not an advanced stats guy so I’ll take the L on that point.

I would hope we could provide May a bit more resources than FAU to combat the step up to the B1G.  The program has never lacked support or resources.  We all know the right dude can turn this thing back into a monster.

I’m not sure that’s him, it’s seems risky.  I’d like to see us just one time swing for the fences.  Throw out a really stupid big number at someone who is an established winner.  The upfront investment would pay off in the long run.  

The jump from C-USA to the Atlantic (after Houston, Cincy, and UCF bolted) doesn’t compare to the jump from the Atlantic to the B10. I think the drastic decline in defensive efficiency in one year with the same core is alarming. I’d have concerns with May going up against the likes of Izzo, Painter, Underwood, etc on top of the big dogs when it comes to recruiting. 

10 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The jump from C-USA to the Atlantic (after Houston, Cincy, and UCF bolted) doesn’t compare to the jump from the Atlantic to the B10. I think the drastic decline in defensive efficiency in one year with the same core is alarming. I’d have concerns with May going up against the likes of Izzo, Painter, Underwood, etc on top of the big dogs when it comes to recruiting. 

I hope that if IU is looking for a new coach this year and if May is interviewed something like this would be brought up. Talk about how big of a jump it is to the B1G, ask him would he perceives his weaknesses to be, and how he'd address those weaknesses. Hopefully, he'd have the self awareness to answer honestly with at least defensive coaching and have a  real solution, like hiring an assistant  that specializes in defense.

4 minutes ago, SamIam said:

How sad is it that we are in here talking about how FAU's defense falling this year is a red flag and its still ranked higher than IU's right now

And thats with unranked recruits vs 5 stars.

Man we need a change

Not necessarily a red flag, but it should be a cause for concern all things considered. Still, I maintain that FAU is a 1st round buzzer beater away from May’s name not even being on the table, not to mention the huge break they received with FDU taking out Purdue the round prior. His trajectory checks all the boxes as do other intangibles, I’m just not sold on his abilities just quite yet.

Just now, AH1971 said:

Not necessarily a red flag, but it should be a cause for concern all things considered. Still, I maintain that FAU is a 1st round buzzer beater away from May’s name not even being on the table, not to mention the huge break they received with FDU taking out Purdue the round prior. His trajectory checks all the boxes as do other intangibles, I’m just not sold on his abilities just quite yet.

All fair, I was more just making a comment on how unbelievably bad we are on D this year despite having a 7'2 shot blocker

22 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I totally agree, and this is TOTALLY apples to oranges, but the same could be said about (our lord and savior) Brad Stevens. 

Not just from an IU lens, but I've always wondered how much differently he'd be perceived if BU lost to 13-seeded Murray State in the 2010 Round of 32 (54-52 win) or in the 2011 1st Round Matt Howard buzzer beater vs. Old Dominion (60-58 win).

Point being, I'm not saying you're wrong, but saying it's interesting how often things like this actually happen. Archie beat O$U by 1 point in the 1st Round in his Dayton Elite Eight year. Do we hire him if O$U wins that game?

1 minute ago, hper50 said:

I totally agree, and this is TOTALLY apples to oranges, but the same could be said about (our lord and savior) Brad Stevens. 

Not just from an IU lens, but I've always wondered how much differently he'd be perceived if BU lost to 13-seeded Murray State in the 2010 Round of 32 (54-52 win) or in the 2011 1st Round to Old Dominion (60-58 win).

Point being, I'm not saying you're wrong, but saying it's interesting how often things like this actually happen. Archie beat O$U by 1 point in the 1st Round in his Dayton Elite Eight year. Do we hire him if O$U wins that game?

Always luck involved with teams advancing in the tourney.  Always.   Butler doesn’t make a Final 4 if Pitt doesn’t get called for a foul off a missed FT 94 ft away that gave Butler FTs to win it.  Still one of the craziest endings ever.   Like you said I’d definitely happens more then people realize 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Always luck involved with teams advancing in the tourney.  Always.   Butler doesn’t make a Final 4 if Pitt doesn’t get called for a foul off a missed FT 94 ft away that gave Butler FTs to win it.  Still one of the craziest endings ever.   Like you said I’d definitely happens more then people realize 

Right!!!! I almost mentioned the 2011 Round of 32 Pitt game along with Old Dominion. Was pulling for my hometown Dawgs but couldn't help but think Pitt got jobbed. Shouldn't have put themselves in that situation, but still......

This is why I don't like judging resumes just based on how deep someone has gone in the tourney. Need to look into the context and dig a little deeper

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Always remember that our 87 team won by 1 vs LSU in the elite 8 and 1 in the championship game on a lady second shot. Without that we would only have 4 banners

4 minutes ago, hper50 said:

Not just from an IU lens, but I've always wondered how much differently he'd be perceived if BU lost to 13-seeded Murray State in the 2010 Round of 32 (54-52 win) or in the 2011 1st Round Matt Howard buzzer beater vs. Old Dominion (60-58 win).

The tournament is very high variance for sure. Should be taken with a grain of salt. I do think some coaches/playstyles are more conducive to winning in the tourney, but hard to take too much from one year.  Worth noting that Dusty still had a top ~25 KP team before the tourney, and C-USA was very strong last year. Definitely doesn't have all the national hype w/o final four but people were for sure taking notice. 

Just now, Scotty R said:

Always remember that our 87 team won by 1 vs LSU in the elite 8 and 1 in the championship game on a lady second shot. Without that we would only have 4 banners

Should have lost to LSU.  They were the better team for most of that game 

9 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Or May doesn’t break his arm. Or we don’t get hosed by the refs in ‘92.  3 for Knight feels about right.  

The best team doesn’t always win. That’s why you need a great coach who can build contenders every few years.