Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Home Jersey

IUBB vs Auburn (Atlanta, GA) | 12/9/2023 @ 2:00pm on ESPN2

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Our next hire needs to be a good coach that is being held back by a limited NIL.  Somebody that has won a conference tournament would be my pick.  Something that Crean, Archie and Woodson have never done 

Or how about act like a top program and go out and poach a top college coach from another program by offering them more money than there current college can. IU has the resources to pay a coach 7-8 mill a year. IU will keep struggling with finding coaches if they keep trying to find guys who are on the come up versus going out and getting a guy that is already a proven winner

Edited by KYHoosier

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

So winning a conference tournament = winning consistently against good competition?

Let's hire Patrick Ewing.  He's fee.

Lol who peed in your cornflakes. Anyway no it’s not a perfect indicator but it’s a sure better indicator than just about anything else. 

1 minute ago, KYHoosier said:

Or how about act like a top program and go out and poach a top college coach from another program by offering them more money than there current college can. IU has the resources to pay a coach 7-8 mill a year. IU will keep struggling with finding coaches if they keep trying to find guys who are on the come up versus going out and getting a guy that is already a proven winner

I’m not sure a coach that had proved he is winning at a high level elsewhere would come here for that amount of money and even if they were i would imagine their school would match the offer 

10 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

He isn't going anywhere anytime soon but if we miss the tournament I am done with him. 

Well, he is because he’s in his 60’s. This is his third season. If he were looking like the team was on the verge of making deep tourney runs or winning conference titles then you start talking about if he can go ten years and last well into his 70’s.  Most coaches don’t tho.

He was brought back to right the ship and he did. He also helped proved IU can still recruit top guys.  

But right now IU has a good two year stretch of opportunity to really do a good search and target the right guy, then let Woody hand the reigns off to a hero’s sendoff for helping restore the program. Woody may not even want to coach that long, anyways.  

The worst thing that can happen is to let things get ugly, be forced to fire Woody when the program dips again, and then scramble to overpay the hot coach du jour.  

IU fans turned on Bobby f’n Knight after 3-4 years of mediocrity. There’s not a huge grace period. Woody and the admin should be thinking long term plans right now. 

11 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

"My interest in iubb is at an all time low" yet you are posting on a message board lmao okay 

Quite literally nothing contradictory about that. Used to tune in for every single game. Now I barely watch. But sick rep farming, bruh. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol who peed in your cornflakes. Anyway no it’s not a perfect indicator but it’s a sure better indicator than just about anything else. 

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not if you think winning a conference tournament is a better indicator of a coach's success than winning a regular season conference title or advancing far in the NCAA tournament is.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Quite literally nothing contradictory about that. Used to tune in for every single game. Now I barely watch. But sick rep farming, bruh. 

Same.  Used to arrange my schedule to watch. Now not so much. Don’t listen to the podcasts anymore.  And come here much less often. 

1 minute ago, RoadRage said:

I'm not convinced the school even cares if they are ever elite again in basketball, I think as long as the team finishes mid pack Woody finishes his contract, maybe he doesn't get re-signed, maybe he won't even want to re-sign.

I am convinced they don’t care 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

No the reason he didn’t work was because he used a junk system that wasn’t capable of winning consistently against good competition.  Hence why he never won a postseason tournament. I want somebody who had proven they can win consistently against good competition. 

Winning a tournament doesn't take consistency. It just takes getting hot at the right time and favorable matchups. Flukes happen all the time. Hell, Davis almost won IU a national championship and he was far from consistent.

Winning tournaments multiple times and/or making multiple deep runs (even in conference championship tournaments) would show some consistency but you made it sound like even just once would be good enough for you.

I think our faith in Galloway, X, and Gunn cost us any legitimate chance at being great this year.

Granted I thought they’d all be better too. Galloway has negative confidence on his 3 point shot right now.

We also targeted Ledlum as a top target who is terrible and Timberlake who most thought was really good and couldn’t get traction with, who is also bad right now.

Caleb Love is playing well for Arizona. Anyway, our faith in our homegrown guards put a cap on things.

Mgbako still had awful defense instincts and very little fluidity in his movements. I like him fine but he’s much more rigid than I was expecting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners