Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

2023-24 IUFB Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

I’m skeptical but I’m not sure how much B1G talent we actually had with Allen either.

IU hasn't had B1G talent in a long time and that has been part of the problem. The bigger problem under Allen was not developing that talent and a lack of discipline. Even with IU's mid-major talent level last season, better coaching could've gotten to a bowl game.

My concern played out on the field against Air Force. As others have stated, they’ll need to step Up to play week in and week out in the BIG. Not saying that they can’t do it, but they’ll need to prove it on the field.

The only thing I 100% know for sure is that the Cig hire, and the subsequent statements/recruiting etc, has ramped up my interest in the upcoming season. 

On the other hand I am flip-flopping between thinking we will go to a bowl next year vs having a team that belongs in the Sun Belt. Will be fun (I hope) to watch.

So you are concerned about Cignetti because of what happened in a bowl game that he didn't coach?
I took his concern to be the caliber of players that are transferring from there to IU and not about CCC.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I took his concern to be the caliber of players that are transferring from there to IU and not about CCC.

Maybe, I just think a wholesale assumption on the group transferring based on one game that he didn't coach isn't real fair.  FWIW, the most important defensive player that he brought in with him from JMU recorded 17 tackles against Air Force.

And T.A. is in a much better match for himself.  He did excellent for himself both, professionally and financially.

And the starving IU football fanbase create an illusion that James Madison is a division 1 football power with NFL like player prospects with a new IU football coach who accepts a $millions of reasons to lead IU football to the football promised land by accepting his best offer of the best thing going for him.

I do wonder why he hasn’t been offered in power 5 before??…with all his winning success…Is IU decision makers all of a sudden football genius??

Just now, Artie86 said:

I wondered when this would happen, or IF it would. I wonder if any of the newest JMU commits have anything to do with this… ? 

Totally, it's interesting that there haven't been any portal additions to the defensive backfield which was a clear weakness last season - I would expect this to change.  The other area I am keeping an eye on are the recent batch of portal offers that have been reported in the last 72-96 hours...looks to be focused primarily on DL, Edge, and LB.  

I have CCC at 86 grants for '24 as of today, sooooo I would expect another wave (or two) of portal additions from the squad in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Maybe, I just think a wholesale assumption on the group transferring based on one game that he didn't coach isn't real fair.  FWIW, the most important defensive player that he brought in with him from JMU recorded 17 tackles against Air Force.

Did either starting DE play? 

20 hours ago, rcs29 said:

yep.. we are expecting a Lot of players to step up. A smaller AF D-Line constantly harassed the JMU QB and the RB's were not effective (35 yards rushing). Could be the reason CCC kept Bostad. "not saying they can't do it" - Play in the BIG but a concern of mine. I'll go with CCC's line, they'll have to prove it on the field.

I was just going over IU’s transfer portal roster. It currently lists 9 players total who originally committed to Coach Cignetti and JMU. Though some on here are reluctant and apprehensive about most of these players because of their lack of  “stars” or even star power. 
I have a couple observations on all of this. 
- That many players and potentially more, believe and trust in Coach Cignetti enough to follow him where ever he goes. That says volumes….

- Coach Cignetti still wanting these specific players to come with him it IU and be a part of this rebuild also speaks volumes as to the type of players he knows and wants to go to battle for him.

I also liked one of many comments he has said about his process so far. I will paraphrase… “We had to re-recruit IU guys to get on the bus with us and we also had to tell some to get off the bus!”

It would be interesting to find out which IU players he told to “get off the bus!”