Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Army - Sunday, 11.12.23 @ 7:00 on BTN

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

X's comments post game certainly raised an eyebrow or two. Don't have the exact quote right now but basically said Ware and Reneau can be kind of soft

That may be true- even likely- but Ware & Reneau weren't letting the 5'10" Ginger kid (that got shut-out by STONEHILL?!) stroke 3's in their face all night. If X is the Captain then lead by example. He played poorly overall with defense, turn-overs and stagnant offense. 

6 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Our 3pt defense is pitiful. We really need to fix that before B1G play.

We're playing like we'll lose to freakin Louisville. 

Army missed 25 three point shots...just saying.  Two of their makes were flying out of bounds in the corner with the shot clock running out and being well defended.  They will likely not hit another one of those all season.  The last make was a meaningless shot to beat the end of game buzzer.  

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

That may be true- even likely- but Ware & Reneau weren't letting the 5'10" Ginger kid (that got shut-out by STONEHILL) stroke 3's in their face all night. If X is the Captain then lead by example. He played poorly overall with defense, turn-overs and stagnant offense. 

Agree!  Lead by example and quit making pour decisions on offense and play in your face defense.  His man drove on him constantly and he lost his man a lot behind the arc!

I didn’t think MR played as badly as some have said.  

CMW has to move on from that starting 5.  MR and MM can’t play together.  

This is about winning games.  Stars don’t mean jack.  

I’m not sure how much MM should be playing at all.  Go back and watch the film and watch how MM was moving and playing defensively and watch how Banks was was playing in his (too few) minutes.  It won’t show up in the box score but there is a big difference.  Tell me who the 5 star is.  I said it in the first game thread and it was an unpopular opinion but I will say it again.  MM needs to sit.  Banks needs to start for MM next game.  For those that will argue MM needs to play above MR that’s just a HARD no.

Gunn has some real potential on the defensive end but is a loose cannon on offense.  Unfortunately, we don’t really have any alternatives.

Starters - X, Gallo, Banks, MR, and Ware.

Bench - Cupps, Sparks, Gunn, Walker, MM.  Sparks being first big off the bench.

I don’t think this will happen.  I think the staff will play to MM’s stars or whatever and we will be worse for it.

17 minutes ago, Trish said:

That’s been his game the last 3 years though. He’s just not that guy on offense. He’s a role player. 

Hes had plenty of games with more than 3 shots. He's supposed to be a leader on this team, and leadership sometimes requires you to step up and into things you don't always do for the sake of those following you.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

--Wayne Gretzky"

--Michael Scott.

Just now, FortWayneHoosier said:

IMG_5762.jpeg

I'm sure after a tough game like that you have so much going through your head. But as a 6th year guy, I wish he would pick his words better. And I hope this isn't indicative of his mindset - Ware and Reneau are not the only ones who have to improve a ton before B10 play. 

I wish I could just say flush this game and move on. But based on the caliber of opponent and how poorly we played, it's tough say that. Let's see how we respond to Wright State. UConn will be a 40+ point drumming but hopefully we beat Louisville and can start to build up some confidence/get into a better rhythm.  

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I didn’t think MR played as badly as some have said.  

CMW has to move on from that starting 5.  MR and MM can’t play together.  
This is about winning games.  Stars don’t mean jack.  

I’m not sure how much MM should be playing at all.  Go back and watch the film and watch how MM was moving and playing defensively and watch how Banks was was playing in his (too few) minutes.  It won’t show up in the box score but there is a big difference.  Tell me who the 5 star is.  I said it in the first game thread and it was an unpopular opinion but I will say it again.  MM needs to sit.  Banks needs to start for MM next game.  For those that will argue MM needs to play above MR that’s just a HARD no.

Gunn has some real potential on the defensive end but is a loose cannon on offense.  Unfortunately, we don’t really have any alternatives.

Starters - X, Gallo, Banks, MR, and Ware.

Bench - Cupps, Sparks, Gunn, Walker, MM.  Sparks being first big off the bench.

I don’t think this will happen.  I think the staff will play to MM’s stars or whatever and we will be worse for it.

You've not been shy about your opinion on Mack lol. I agree he has been disappointing through the first couple of games. His defense just makes it a non-starter for him to play major minutes at this point. That said... 

1) He can improve on that and likely will as the season goes on 

2) Him being able to score is a huge difference maker in our team's potential 

3) When he is playing, he should play as a 4 and I bet his offense would also be a lot better in that than the Kopp type of role. 

I agree Banks should start over Mack as a 3 at this point based on merits, but not sure we'll see it. I do think Mack could be utilized more effectively on offense. But at this point it's not enough to make up for his gaps on the defensive side. 

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think that was an ill-advised comment to say about your teammates on tv, especially since X had his issues turning the ball over, pour defense, and not having good point guard awareness 

Its also a little interviewing a college player (although X is older than a good number of pros) literally seconds after almost suffering about the worst upset you could have.