Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Army - Sunday, 11.12.23 @ 7:00 on BTN

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

More than a few on here have said it and all over Twitter. This is what sparked the conversation and my point that Cupps is being oversold. 

I'm an adult so I don't read Twitter and I'm going to need to see quotes where "more than a few on here" have said they want X benched in favor of Cupps. 

I have seen several people however suggest that going to a 3 guard lineup (with X and Cupps playing side by side) has been our best lineup to date...and they aren't wrong either. 

52 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Ok, here is some data since eye test doesn’t work. I understand analytics are not end all. But you wanted some data.

Edit and add - no, not just trying to “argue” no, I don’t assume he can’t be effective etc. There are limits. He is also not as effective as many think he is right now.  That is people’s eye test assuming things because he works hard and that is the “IU type of guy” we need. 

Those saying he changed the game, maybe. Or as it we stopped playing with 2 5s and a 4? 

Cupps is a great role player off the bench for this year. Those wanting to put X on the bench for him, how is that based on anything other than bias. Which was big part of how this whole conversation started. That and me feeling we have to stop with the current lineup with MM, Malik and Ware and I would prefer to see how MM looks if given minutes and same role as Malik with the 3 guards. 

D6D0B642-06BA-4098-85B0-FADE861C3827.png

Great, but you where claiming basically he wasn't fast/athletic enough to play in the Big10.  I was just asking if you knew his "combine" numbers.  You don't and are basing it on what you see.  No problem, just remember -- who you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?  :) 

And I'm not much for stats 2 games in.  And not 100% sure of their value over a short college basketball season.  You generally need a sample size of 20+ to be statistically relevant.   

9 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I expanded on that to say I believe we need CJ come conference time because Cupps is not quick enough. I get he has been rough but given hardly any time with that group. Cupps has benefited greatly by playing with those other 4 in a 3 guard setup. 

it will all play out no matter. Ultimately this escalated because of the X should go to bench for Cupps, he isn’t a leader, plays dumb, etc, etc. it is clear to me where that comes from because it can’t be based on stats or eye test. Yes 2 games but look at stats. X is our most important player. 

Still waiting on that material by the way.......

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

What is wrong with you? People say I want to argue but man, give it a rest. This wasn’t even about you and you made it about you. 

Because people who push ill-faith narratives annoy me, especially when they can't back anything up. One or two anonymous people posting that Cupps should be starting over Xavier Johnson doesn't represent a percent of this fanbase. Isn't it crazy that less than 3% of the world's population are active Twitter uses yet somehow dictate 100% of the world's viewpoints. Never understood that crap.