Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Army - Sunday, 11.12.23 @ 7:00 on BTN

33 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Do we have enough talent to be a national contender? No. But we should have enough in this program by this point to not be seeing what we've seen the first two games. It just doesn't make sense. 

I'm also not giving the coaching staff a pass after these games.  Woodson has eyes and the experience to understand when something needs to change as a game is progressing.  If he chooses to continue coaching these games in the manner he has then he's partially responsible for the outcome.  I'm beginning to wonder how good he is as a teacher.

34 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don’t think this will happen.  I think the staff will play to MM’s stars or whatever and we will be worse for it.

Staff has to. At least right now. If IU wants to continue getting these top level players (outside of winning), you have to play him. If he sits the bench this will be used against Coach Woodson for the rest of time. I agree, I'm not really impressed right now and am concerned on his fit. However, I trust the staff to figure it out. 

Now, if it's late non-conference season/early B1G season and he is still performing this way, we can make a change. 

20 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

- As long as you’re going to continue to recruit five stars, you just cannot bench a kid who decommitted from Duke and chose your program over Kansas. Slow start, you betcha, but MM has to be in the squad if for nothing else for esthetics. I personally think he finds his role and voice on the team by the turn of the year and shows out as our best scoring option by big ten play. 

I catch myself thinking this too. Then I also think, “what would Kansas or Duke do?” They’d just bench the kid. Of course, they have other 5-stars. 

Also, you have a fairly highly regarded in Cupps. What’s it say to recruits if you start MM over him just because he was ranked higher?  

Those are tough decisions and why big time coaches make the big bucks. 

Hoping this is a cherry picked snippet of a quote. The replies are meme-ing pretty hard though. Coaching has been a little concerning at times but... Hey... at least we won. Which is more than some other pretty big programs can say! 

Moving onto Wright State...

IMG_2789.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Hoping this is a cherry picked snippet of a quote. The replies are meme-ing pretty hard though. Coaching has been a little concerning at times but... Hey... at least we won. Which is more than some other pretty big programs can say! 

Moving onto Wright State...

IMG_2789.jpeg

I watched the press conference, and I think Woody was just trying to not be all negative with that quote…He said they stunk, called guys out, etc. he does not think we played well. 

IMO that’s Goodman trying to make Woody look bad. 

35 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Don’t disagree with most of this, definitely frustrated through two games like most. 

Two quick-hitters though:

- Woody has proven through three seasons to have a steadfast commitment to his beginning of season starters. (Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp anyone?)

- As long as you’re going to continue to recruit five stars, you just cannot bench a kid who decommitted from Duke and chose your program over Kansas. Slow start, you betcha, but MM has to be in the squad if for nothing else for esthetics. I personally think he finds his role and voice on the team by the turn of the year and shows out as our best scoring option by big ten play. 

You play the best lineup, the one that will get the most wins, stars be damned.

it’s not great for recruiting if MM doesn’t play much but UK, Duke, KU etc all have had 5* kids sit their bench and it hasn’t hurt them

winning matters - it’s the most visible thing anyone can point to regarding a program

Just now, monskisprodigy said:

I watched the press conference, and I think Woody was just trying to not be all negative with that quote…

Trilly retweeted it... he's quickly becoming more annoying and less fun IMO

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

I watched the press conference, and I think Woody was just trying to not be all negative with that quote…He said they stunk, called guys out, etc. he does not think we played well. 

Its amazing his daughter's already 1000x better than him.

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

Trilly retweeted it... he's quickly becoming more annoying and less fun IMO

Dumb.

Woodson included that in the middle of a quote, trying to feed something positive in. 

Does anyone really believe he thinks we played well, only beating a horrible Army team by 8. Give me a break. 

Im frustrated with Woody, but those guys can kick rocks for tweeting it like that. 

Dumb.
Woodson included that in the middle of a quote, trying to feed something positive in. 
Does anyone really believe he thinks we played well, only beating a horrible Army team by 8. Give me a break. 
Im frustrated with Woody, but those guys can kick rocks for tweeting it like that. 

That’s why coaches try to get on Media’s good side. Woodson isn’t interested in that it seems. To some degree I respect that, but life is much harder when the media is working against you.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Dumb.

It’s not like they made up his quote… he literally said that which is crazy stupid and they called him out for it. That’s on Woody for the dumb comment not the press for reporting it

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s not like they made up his quote… he literally said that which is crazy stupid and they called him out for it. That’s on Woody for the dumb comment not the press for reporting it

Im not saying they did. He made that comment in the middle of an answer, I think trying to add something positive…not worded the best, And as a stand alone comment it looks bad. 

But watch the press conference and tell me you think Woodson really believes that….he made plenty of other comments not quoted stating how he felt about our play. 

Soloing that comment out, and not giving context of any other criticism Woodson provided of the game is unfair.  

4 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Im not saying they did. He made that comment in the middle of an answer, I think trying to add something positive…not worded the best, And as a stand alone comment it looks bad. 

But watch the press conference and tell me you think Woodson really believes that….he made plenty of other comments not quoted stating how he felt about our play. 

Soloing that comment out, and not giving context of any other criticism Woodson provided of the game is unfair.  

So he is saying things he doesn’t actually believe? That’s odd.

I usually don’t say the opposite of what I mean

I would like to see a film breakdown of our defense and a P5 team with an average perimeter defense. There seems to be so much chaos going on and it all starts with the over helping IMO. Is this Woodsons defense or the players we have? Giving up an open mid range is still better than a wide open on 3. 

So he is saying things he doesn’t actually believe? That’s odd.
I usually don’t say the opposite of what I mean

Speaking 101. Sandwich a negative or a positive in between the bread that contains the opposite. It’s a normal strategy to not lose the crowd.

But yeah, by itself it looks like a bad quote.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app