Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

(2025) SG - Braylon Mullins

24 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I mean I want Haralson and Mullins as bad as anyone, but in today’s game starting multiple freshman even if very good is just not a winning strategy. I’m concerned the staff is trying to save some NIL cash and put it towards freshman over transfers and in the long run I just don’t think that’s a winning strategy. Kentucky and Duke have proven recently stacking tons of great freshman without great coaching and enough veteran skill just isn’t it.

I’m mixed on what I want because I do really want these guys, but…….

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t know that they’re guaranteeing anything. Basically saying they’ll have the opportunity the possibly fill those shoes 

18 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wonder what would affect his comort level with IU's staff ... 

Is he not terribly fond of Woody & staff to begin with? 

Does he like Woody & staff, but worries they won't be around for more than a couple years? 

As I stated before and was told I was wrong by barrel guy, he loves the assistants, but the connection with Woody is not there. Maybe that has changed or will change from last I heard, that stuff takes time.  IMO, I can see some kids having a hard time connecting with Woody.  Maybe to some recruit's, that's not a big deal.  Believe what you want, the kid wants to go to IU though, so if he doesn't you might want to ask why.  I still think it is IU as of now,  but those other coaches are not wasting their time for nothing.

4 hours ago, Cd71 said:

As I stated before and was told I was wrong by barrel guy, he loves the assistants, but the connection with Woody is not there. Maybe that has changed or will change from last I heard, that stuff takes time.  IMO, I can see some kids having a hard time connecting with Woody.  Maybe to some recruit's, that's not a big deal.  Believe what you want, the kid wants to go to IU though, so if he doesn't you might want to ask why.  I still think it is IU as of now,  but those other coaches are not wasting their time for nothing.

I understand what you're saying, and don't know anything about Mullins feelings but you're using what "Locked On UConn’s" Mark Zanetto said as confirmation to what you've said previously. I have no idea where the rumor is coming from or who you know that is saying he doesn't like Woody much, but a UCONN guy saying he won't go to IU "...if he doesn’t feel comfortable with IU’s staff" is pretty obtuse or as general of a statement as one could make and most likely based on fans apathy or distain for Woody last year, not any real insider information. In other words this just sounds like this guy repeating the negative recruiting rumors previously mentioned. But like I said, I don't know anything more than what's been mentioned online. 

11 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I understand what you're saying, and don't know anything about Mullins feelings but you're using what "Locked On UConn’s" Mark Zanetto said as confirmation to what you've said previously. I have no idea who's saying this, but a UCONN guy saying he won't go to IU "...if he doesn’t feel comfortable with IU’s staff" is pretty obtuse or general of a statement as on could make and most likely based on fans apathy or distain for Woody last year, not any real insider information. In other words this just sounds like this guy repeating the negative recruiting rumors previously mentioned. But like I said, I don't know anything more than what's been mentioned online. 

FWIW UConn's fans don't seem to find Zanetto credible when it comes to breaking recruiting news.

Quite amusingly, some of their fans are noticing Braylon "has a poker face" in all his recruiting pictures but that he has a "clenched smile" with UConn and UK staffs, so they must be in the lead. And of course, they think UConn is obviously the best fit for him, mainly concerned that IU will outdo them in NIL to keep him home. I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't go to IU but I haven't followed closely and don't really know **** 

5 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

FWIW UConn's fans don't seem to find Zanetto credible when it comes to breaking recruiting news.

Quite amusingly, some of their fans are noticing Braylon "has a poker face" in all his recruiting pictures but that he has a "clenched smile" with UConn and UK staffs, so they must be in the lead. And of course, they think UConn is obviously the best fit for him, mainly concerned that IU will outdo them in NIL to keep him home. I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't go to IU but I haven't followed closely and don't really know **** 

I cleaned up my original post a bit for clarity's sake. He may or may not go to IU, but my overall point is, having followed a lot of recruiting over the past few years, there doesn't really seem to be a lot of validity to 95% of the rumors so I take most with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the rumors and find them interesting, but some stuff is hard to prove unless you're getting it from the horses mouth so to speak. 

45 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I cleaned up my original post a bit for clarity's sake. He may or may not go to IU, but my overall point is, having followed a lot of recruiting of the past few years, there doesn't really seem to be a lot of validity to 95% of the rumors so I take most with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the rumors and find them interesting, but some stuff is hard to prove unless you're getting it from the horses mouth so to speak. 

Are you saying Barrell Rick has a horses mouth?

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I cleaned up my original post a bit for clarity's sake. He may or may not go to IU, but my overall point is, having followed a lot of recruiting of the past few years, there doesn't really seem to be a lot of validity to 95% of the rumors so I take most with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the rumors and find them interesting, but some stuff is hard to prove unless you're getting it from the horses mouth so to speak. 

Excellent posts! Excluding those rumor sharers/spreaders that are obviously just looking for attention and those that have an agenda, it is important for people to keep in mind that even reliable posters with solid information are often not sharing direct information from the recruit and that 2nd, 3rd or worse hand info is subject to both the telephone effect and interpretation at every step along the way. Even when the info being shared is from the recruit himself, it is still both subject to change over time and entirely likely that the info is what the recruit wants shared instead of accurate information. 

As someone who had a little bit of inside info on a recruit once upon a time, it was both pretty amusing to see the conclusions people jumped to with little or no provocation and interesting to see how both the tone and type of info I received along the way changed. I can't say for sure if the initial, positive and ultimately accurate information I received was correct for the entire duration of that recruiting battle or if it did indeed change at least a few times as was suggested. I'm absolutely certain it didn't swing as wildly as the rumors suggested and I strongly suspect that some of the info I and others received at different points was spread deliberately to counteract the notion that a decision was all but made. 

4 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

Excellent posts! Excluding those rumor sharers/spreaders that are obviously just looking for attention and those that have an agenda, it is important for people to keep in mind that even reliable posters with solid information are often not sharing direct information from the recruit and that 2nd, 3rd or worse hand info is subject to both the telephone effect and interpretation at every step along the way. Even when the info being shared is from the recruit himself, it is still both subject to change over time and entirely likely that the info is what the recruit wants shared instead of accurate information. 

As someone who had a little bit of inside info on a recruit once upon a time, it was both pretty amusing to see the conclusions people jumped to with little or no provocation and interesting to see how both the tone and type of info I received along the way changed. I can't say for sure if the initial, positive and ultimately accurate information I received was correct for the entire duration of that recruiting battle or if it did indeed change at least a few times as was suggested. I'm absolutely certain it didn't swing as wildly as the rumors suggested and I strongly suspect that some of the info I and others received at different points was spread deliberately to counteract the notion that a decision was all but made. 

I've had one, literally one piece of inside info during the current administration and it was very "inside" and solid. But it had nothing to do with recruiting which I assume is very, very fluid and a lot harder to confirm with certainty. And to repeat, I am not bashing anyone's info because I really do appreciate and enjoy it, but recruiting info seems to be the most widely speculated and inaccurate on a day to day basis for many reasons including what you're mentioning; intentional misdirection to counter leaks. 

6 hours ago, Cd71 said:

This is the only time ever I have been able to listen to how a recruitment was going.  Never had any inside info on anything before.  You can thank Walsh for this commitment when it happens.  BM's girlfriend is going to IU as well, not that it makes a difference.   Everything I heard after this weekend made me think IU will be getting their remaining wish list.  He also loves Dusty, Michigan not so much.  Won't hear from me on this subject anymore.  Go IU!

Dude, cmon, don't take your ball and go home. Seriously, I''ll take any bread crumb I can get on recruiting.

Probably not the right thread for this, but I will say that I took a break from reading about recruiting and it’s really been nice. I’m not emotionally attached like was. Took a break from Indiana sports beat radio as well. Looking forward to an exciting season, but in the grand scheme of things, I’m pretty happy waiting on kids to announce.. See ya in another month. 

25 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Probably not the right thread for this, but I will say that I took a break from reading about recruiting and it’s really been nice. I’m not emotionally attached like was. Took a break from Indiana sports beat radio as well. Looking forward to an exciting season, but in the grand scheme of things, I’m pretty happy waiting on kids to announce.. See ya in another month. 

I don't think that's a healthy attitude. I'm sure it's much healthier to be emotionally invested in the decisions of 17/18 year old kids and to hang on every word and action .

On 9/9/2024 at 3:10 PM, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Which one? Not saying you’re wrong I just want to dig to find where he said it haha

Mark Zanetto I have never spoken to in my life and did zero background research on. I still havent but appears from reading this thread i may be less than credible. Now I do know Brandon Ramsey a bit and he's rock solid. UK is moving forward as it they are out. Acaden Lewis is the focus to pair with Jasper Johnson. He mentioned that Dan Hurley has done a masterful job. Does he want to stay home so bad that he picks Woody over Hurley. I personally think IU will have a better year than both UConn and Kentucky but we know that before the early signing period. 

Sept 20th is going to be a massive deal and hopefully we come out on top selling all three guys on how they can hang a banner together and get to the league.