Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

(C) Kel 'el Ware - COMMITTED TO INDIANA

On 4/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, DLG3 said:

No, that’s what I remember, too. I’ll never forget him showing out in Atlanta against Oklahoma, in front of his “home crowd.” It was so cool to see him put it all together. Man, I wish that team had finished off the next game!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Meee toooo!!!

On 4/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I mean…. Yeah… and I believe we did.  

Wish we were this serious about winning for the past 25 years. But as always, better late than never.  

Let’s roll! 

Late to the party...but in a way...that Bama poster wasn't wrong. One of the absolute main reasons we got Ware is because some programs are promising money and kids aren't getting paid what they said they would. Ware has the same agent as JHS. So, his agent was able to confirm what IU promised and delivered. Money talks. NIL was definitely a deciding factor in this one. 

3 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

Late to the party...but in a way...that Bama poster wasn't wrong. One of the absolute main reasons we got Ware is because some programs are promising money and kids aren't getting paid what they said they would. Ware has the same agent as JHS. So, his agent was able to confirm what IU promised and delivered. Money talks. NIL was definitely a deciding factor in this one. 

I'm happy, don't get me wrong, but sad this is what it's come to. The days of kids coming to IU because they love IU seems to be a thing of the past.

I'll always have the memories. Well... actually, maybe not. Although, I'm amazed that I can remember IU's lineup from 40 years ago, but can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

1 minute ago, bigrod said:

I'm happy, don't get me wrong, but sad this is what it's come to. The days of kids coming to IU because they love IU seems to be a thing of the past.

I'll always have the memories. Well... actually, maybe not. Although, I'm amazed that I can remember IU's lineup from 40 years ago, but can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

Yes, the game has changed for sure. The fact that we’ve got agents asking for sit down fees now to talk with their player speaks volumes. Im glad the kids are getting paid, but I hope somehow the ncaa is able to get a better grip on it. 

5 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

Yes, the game has changed for sure. The fact that we’ve got agents asking for sit down fees now to talk with their player speaks volumes. Im glad the kids are getting paid, but I hope somehow the ncaa is able to get a better grip on it. 

NCAA won’t be able to do Jack. They never have really, so long as the big boys with deep pockets eat.  

same will be true until eternity. A “fair” market value will be figured out over a few seasons.  Duke, UK, Gonzaga, and a few others will be able to curb stomp that market value and keep mostly who they want.  The others will get in a pecking order and decide where they want to spend their “salary cap”.  

Whatever type of limitation the NCAA tries to enact will be legally avoided by those trying to win. 

9 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I can see a scenario where kids will love coming to IU for a chance at winning a title and developing to raise their stock, all while getting paid. Winning and development was ultimately the reason why kids loved IU in the past. Now IU can finally sit at table that's pretty much always been around because you know, it's legal now. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

NCAA won’t be able to do Jack. They never have really, so long as the big boys with deep pockets eat.  

same will be true until eternity. A “fair” market value will be figured out over a few seasons.  Duke, UK, Gonzaga, and a few others will be able to curb stomp that market value and keep mostly who they want.  The others will get in a pecking order and decide where they want to spend their “salary cap”.  

Whatever type of limitation the NCAA tries to enact will be legally avoided by those trying to win. 

I don't see Gonzaga having deep pockets with the likes of Duke or UK. I foresee new universities getting in on this because of how incredibly deep their pockets are. Like don't rule out a school like Miami or Texas. It's going to be about alumni aka collective dollars when it's all said and done. Marketability will take a back seat because it's not about that anymore. It helps but in the end it's about collective dollars. 

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

People way smarter than me will have to figure it out but I could see all of this being collectively bargained at some point with players unions and salary caps. 

20 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I don't see Gonzaga having deep pockets with the likes of Duke or UK. I foresee new universities getting in on this because of how incredibly deep their pockets are. Like don't rule out a school like Miami or Texas. It's going to be about alumni aka collective dollars when it's all said and done. Marketability will take a back seat because it's not about that anymore. It helps but in the end it's about collective dollars. 

I included Gonzaga because that’s a school that surprised me too but the Hysterics were in awe with their donors and the amount of money we are competing with. Some other schools that we’d assume are up a notch, the hysterics say we compete well with. 

In addition, The financial and political power of Nike is immeasurable. The schools Nike stand behind have a level that is tough to compete with. 

22 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

People way smarter than me will have to figure it out but I could see all of this being collectively bargained at some point with players unions and salary caps. 

I can see something similar in the future too but my point is the fat cats will do whatever is necessary to gain a competive and financial advantage. If we are currently in that 10-15 range in the pecking order you’d think we should be able to parlay that into good success.  

53 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I can see a scenario where kids will love coming to IU for a chance at winning a title and developing to raise their stock, all while getting paid. Winning and development was ultimately the reason why kids loved IU in the past. Now IU can finally sit at table that's pretty much always been around because you know, it's legal now. 

The $$$ ultimately plays the biggest part in your scenario, IMO.  I think it's simply the nature of the beast and the state of our sports world.

56 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

It definitely seems to be headed that general direction. As I have stated previously in other similar conversations, I am 100%  for free market capitalism, so anyone earning an honest buck is terrific by me. That doesn't mean that EVERYTHING has to be for-profit, however.  Do the High school players deserve a cut of the concession sales at their games? What about the 4th grade getting a portion of the gate when GrandPa comes to watch the Christmas play? Make no mistake, it IS the same thing, just a matter of degrees. 

I don't want to derail this thread anymore than it already is, but amatuer athletics doesn't have to be an oxy-moron. I will also say that Indiana University fielding pro teams isn't gonna interest me that much. Let anyone and everyone make all they want in pro sports, but how does sponsoring pro sports further the mission of a university? 

Glad Ware is coming to IU and I want IUBB to win....but at some point it doesn't make sense anymore.   

5 hours ago, bigrod said:

Times had changed on this long before NIL came around. Kids that are dying to play at IU b/c they love IU will still come but were also likely fewer and farther between. We should love NIL because we still have the fanbase to support it and build a consistent program that competes at the level we expect from the days when it was normal for kids to come to IU just b/c they loved IU.

26 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Times had changed on this long before NIL came around. Kids that are dying to play at IU b/c they love IU will still come but were also likely fewer and farther between. We should love NIL because we still have the fanbase to support it and build a consistent program that competes at the level we expect from the days when it was normal for kids to come to IU just b/c they loved IU.

My question is do they end their time at IU loving it completely?

Lots of kids, both athletes and non-athletes, choose a school while not quite sure if they’re going to love it. Some non-athletes make that choice based on financial reasons; scholarships for academic achievement.

My question is do they end their time at IU loving it completely.

One of the ones I’m curious about is Miller Kopp. He seemed to recognize all the good and all the tougher aspects of being a Hoosier. I wonder what his honest take is now. He’s a likeable dude but maybe a tad bit sensitive. He’d be an interesting one to talk to at length.

Sidenote- one of the things that make an experience much more meaningful is overcoming obstacles. The transfer portal provides an easy out in these circumstances so that will be an interesting thing to follow.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

One of the ones I’m curious about is Miller Kopp. He seemed to recognize all the good and all the tougher aspects of being a Hoosier. I wonder what his honest take is now. He’s a likeable dude but maybe a tad bit sensitive. He’d be an interesting one to talk to at length.

Sidenote- one of the things that make an experience much more meaningful is overcoming obstacles. The transfer portal provides an easy out in these circumstances so that will be an interesting thing to follow.

Then again, there are still fewer basketball players changing schools or dropping out than the general population.  And this is a two way street….a lot of players are all but told by the program that they basically need to hit the portal.

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said: