Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU/Kentucky Series to Resume

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember a IU and Duke matchup in the sweet 16 where Duke had 5 future first round draft picks. IU had one NBA player and won the game because they played well as a team.

Sounds like IU had the squad to match up with Duke that year. We did the last couple of times we played UK too. Lots of time between now And whenever this starts back up. Plenty of time to bring in some dudes. Good showings in national games like this would do a lot of good for the program’s momentum. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This guy is just getting old with the same stuff over and over. It wasn't over just this post but his post the last month down grading our recruits.

They added #5 Bradshaw to their class yesterday and are now the favorites for Wagner. 
Both may/will probably be gone before the series resumes but it’s noteworthy.  

My #1 team to root against every year is Kentucky. Them losing is almost as good as us winning to me.

I want to be their equal and I don’t care how we do it. If we can smash them with whatever Woody and staff has planned that’ll be great.  Just hope we are up for the task.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

Just now, IU Scott said:

This guy is just getting old with the same stuff over and over.

Then ignore him if you don’t like what he is posting but what he posted on that particular post didn’t need that kind of response.    People have different ways to view different topics.  Regardless if their take isn’t what some want to hear people have the right to their opinion as long as it’s within the rules.   Nothing wrong with different opinions 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sounds like IU had the squad to match up with Duke that year. We did the last couple of times we played UK too. Lots of time between now And whenever this starts back up. Plenty of time to bring in some dudes. Good showings in national games like this would do a lot of good for the program’s momentum. 

Winning breeds winning and we should all let it play out.  It might have just been RMK was such a great coach but most of the time our teams were better than the individual parts . There were so many times in the past where we were less talented but beat the more 3 talented team. Both teams we beat in the final 4!in 1987 had more individual talent but we still won the championship.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They added #5 Bradshaw to their class yesterday and are now the favorites for Wagner. 
Both may/will probably be gone before the series resumes but it’s noteworthy.  

My #1 team to root against every year is Kentucky. Them losing is almost as good as us winning to me.

I want to be their equal and I don’t care how we do it. If we can smash them with whatever Woody and staff has planned that’ll be great.  Just hope we are up for the task.  

Don't really care who is on that team and for me personally I do really care about UK. My biggest rival and hatred still goes to Purdue.  They are in state and plays in our conference.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Don't really care who is on that team and for me personally I do really care about UK. My biggest rival and hatred still goes to Purdue.  They are in state and plays in our conference.

Ok.

This thread is about UK/IU and the series starting sometime soon.  I want us to be on/near their level when it resumes.  I remember the stretch post Knight when it was pretty much a guaranteed loss every season. That’s a big part of why 2013 was so bonkers when we won.  

Nothing with IUBB would make me happier to be  in coin flip games with UK when get to tip. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ok.

This thread is about UK/IU and the series starting sometime soon.  I want us to be on/near their level when it resumes.  I remember the stretch post Knight when it was pretty much a guaranteed loss every season. That’s a big part of why 2013 was so bonkers when we won.  

Nothing with IUBB would make me happier to be  in coin flip games with UK when get to tip. 

My main concern is IU winning the big ten and making consistent deep runs in the tournament. Neither one of those things are really influenced by UK

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Winning breeds winning and we should all let it play out.  It might have just been RMK was such a great coach but most of the time our teams were better than the individual parts . There were so many times in the past where we were less talented but beat the more 3 talented team. Both teams we beat in the final 4!in 1987 had more individual talent but we still won the championship.

Knight had some teams that were pretty freaking stacked. For some reason, IU fans prefer a cozy narrative where he pulled five dudes off the street and made them rockstars. 

The David vs. Goliath storyline exists in all sports, but especially in basketball. Indiana should be a Goliath, but one of this program's biggest issues is that the fans would rather be a David. This is why so many IU fans don't like the UK model. It's high risk, high reward. IU fans don't like high risks, and they don't like UK. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Knight had some teams that were pretty freaking stacked. For some reason, IU fans prefer a cozy narrative where he pulled five dudes off the street and made them rockstars. 

The David vs. Goliath storyline exists in all sports, but especially in basketball. Indiana should be a Goliath, but one of this program's biggest issues is that the fans would rather be a David. This is why so many IU fans don't like the UK model. It's high risk, high reward. IU fans don't like high risks, and they don't like UK. 

Our 75,76,81 92 and 93 was stacked with really good talent.  I look at our 87 team and UNLV and Syracuse had more individual talent than we did.  The 89 team had no business winning the big ten and make the sweet 16 if you just look at talent. The 84 team had 1 first round pick on that team and he probably wasn't really a first round pick.  That team beat a UNC team with Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty and Smith all top 7 picks in the NBA draft.

50 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ok.

Hopefully when the series resumes it goes as well as the current team from Indiana is doing in their series against Kentucky.  Brey is the ultimate age vs talent coach.  He loves himself some old players.  In this case it has worked in his favor with 2 wins in the last 2 years against Cal.   Ironic enough the 3rd and final game in the series was suppose to be played this year on a neutral  but Cal delayed it and added a home game against Duquesne.   They will finish the 3 game series next year.  In this case it has worked out for the age argument but that won’t always be the case which is why college basketball is the greatest.   Many people remember that classic game with that stacked Kentucky team against Wisky where Wisky stopped them from going undefeated but I’m guessing people forgot the game Kentucky played against Notre Dame earlier in that tournament run.   Notre Dame went blow for blow with them until the end of the game in the elite 8 That game was awesome.  I’ve went back and watched it a couple of times.  

9 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Hopefully when the series resumes it goes as well as the current team from Indiana is doing in their series against Kentucky.  Brey is the ultimate age vs talent coach.  He loves himself some old players.  In this case it has worked in his favor with 2 wins in the last 2 years against Cal.   Ironic enough the 3rd and final game in the series was suppose to be played this year on a neutral  but Cal delayed it and added a home game against Duquesne.   They will finish the 3 game series next year.  In this case it has worked out for the age argument but that won’t always be the case which is why college basketball is the greatest.   Many people remember that classic game with that stacked Kentucky team against Wisky where Wisky stopped them from going undefeated but I’m guessing people forgot the game Kentucky played against Notre Dame earlier in that tournament run.   Notre Dame went blow for blow with them until the end of the game in the elite 8 That game was awesome.  I’ve went back and watched it a couple of times.  

I love me some Mike Brey.  I think he is highly under rated.

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Some just don’t like the model of fielding a different team year in and year out.   I could understand why some would be turned off by this.    I’m sure I would adjust and my IU fandom would win out in the end if IU had Cal as coach but man it would be a tough pill to swallow  for me.  Sure you argue what’s it matter having to invest by a year by year basis and who cares as long as the result is winning but there is something to be said about following a players journey from freshman to Senior year at least for me it is that way.     You miss out on that with kentuckys model.   People talk about their results and they are impressive but the reason some  their fans are losing patience with him is because they have to  invest in new players year in and year out and only have 1 title to show for it.    This is coming from some of their fans not just me.   If you have multiple titles to show for it then probably easier to swallow but not getting to see the growth of some players over the years would be something I would miss greatly if it was the model IU went to.    Just my opinion 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Some just don’t like the model of fielding a different team year in and year out.   I could understand why some would be turned off by this.    I’m sure I would adjust and my IU fandom would win out in the end if IU had Cal as coach but man it would be a tough pill to swallow  for me.  Sure you argue what’s it matter having to invest by a year by year basis and who cares as long as the result is winning but there is something to be said about following a players journey from freshman to Senior year at least for me it is that way.     You miss out on that with kentuckys model.   People talk about their results and they are impressive but the reason some  their fans are losing patience with him is because they have to  invest in new players year in and year out and only have 1 title to show for it.    This is coming from some of their fans not just me.   If you have multiple titles to show for it then probably easier to swallow but not getting to see the growth of some players over the years would be something I would miss greatly if it was the model IU went to.    Just my opinion 

I personally know some UK fans that haven't been happy with Cal's method for quite a few years.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

And what is it with all this "David vs. Goliath" gunk?  When I think IU vs. Kentucky I think "The Good Guys" vs. "The Bad Guys"

Because there is a faction of IU fans who want IU to be thought of as "the little engine that could" or underdogs or whatever. 

19 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because there is a faction of IU fans who want IU to be thought of as "the little engine that could" or underdogs or whatever. 

I never seen anyone ever say that.