Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

TJD really is a great 5 for college basketball. We just need better pieces around him so that he's not the focal point. 

TJD is a shot-blocking, rebounding big that generally can finish around the rim and is good in the PnR game. 

The problem is that he shouldn't be the focal point of an offense. Put him with guards and wings like UNC has, Duke has, Kansas, etc., and he'd be perfect. 

I would love to have TJD back surrounded by XJ, Bates, JHS and a couple other guards and wings from the portal. Guys that can create and make shots while TJD is a rim runner in the PnR game and a monster defensively. 

I say this all realizing there is a slim chance he returns. 

Absolutely - great 1 x 2 punch, never had that other punch

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

TJD really is a great 5 for college basketball. We just need better pieces around him so that he's not the focal point. 

TJD is a shot-blocking, rebounding big that generally can finish around the rim and is good in the PnR game. 

The problem is that he shouldn't be the focal point of an offense. Put him with guards and wings like UNC has, Duke has, Kansas, etc., and he'd be perfect. 

I would love to have TJD back surrounded by XJ, Bates, JHS and a couple other guards and wings from the portal. Guys that can create and make shots while TJD is a rim runner in the PnR game and a monster defensively. 

I say this all realizing there is a slim chance he returns. 

I'm sure he loves the thought of X,TB,JHS, and JG surrounding him.

Cuban offers him a one year million dollar NIL deal, and suddenly,  we look like contenders. 

A guy can dream.

8 hours ago, jk34 said:

The problem is that he shouldn't be the focal point of an offense

The problem wasn't that Trayce was the focal point of IU's offense. The problem was that when Trayce kicked it back out to the shooters, the shooters didn't make enough shots. Trayce took fewer shots this past season while making a higher percentage than in his first two seasons. It wasn't until the end of the past season when Xavier Johnson started hitting shots from the outside at a higher percentage that IU's offense with Trayce as the focal point became effective. IU's shooters--Miller Kopp, Tamar Bates, Tre Galloway and anyone else who plays--have to become reliable outside shooters for IU to win whether Trayce is back as the focal point or not.

11 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Absolutely - great 1 x 2 punch, never had that other punch

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

The problem wasn't that Trayce was the focal point of IU's offense. The problem was that when Trayce kicked it back out to the shooters, the shooters didn't make enough shots. Trayce took fewer shots this past season while making a higher percentage than in his first two seasons. It wasn't until the end of the past season when Xavier Johnson started hitting shots from the outside at a higher percentage that IU's offense with Trayce as the focal point became effective. IU's shooters--Miller Kopp, Tamar Bates, Tre Galloway and anyone else who plays--have to become reliable outside shooters for IU to win whether Trayce is back as the focal point or not.

I think both of these are right. Our offense looks way more competent if guys knock down open shots. But having an excellent guard to pair with Trayce would be a game changer. At his best XJ looked like it breaking defenses down with the drive and dish. He only played that way about 20% of the time.  

It sort of shows you how far we have to go, roster-wise. We need a trayce type guy plus another all conf guard plus guys who can defend and shoot to compete nationally. 

44 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I think both of these are right. Our offense looks way more competent if guys knock down open shots. But having an excellent guard to pair with Trayce would be a game changer. At his best XJ looked like it breaking defenses down with the drive and dish. He only played that way about 20% of the time.  

It sort of shows you how far we have to go, roster-wise. We need a trayce type guy plus another all conf guard plus guys who can defend and shoot to compete nationally. 

I totally agree.

Watching the tourney it's striking  the disparity between our roster and the successful teams.

Scoring at all levels and knockdown shooters compared to the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

Thought he might move on from basketball.

Yeah, was just wondering if he ever started playing basketball.  Didn't seem to at IU.

I think the delay in time between when he said he was leaving IU and when he put his name in the portal probably would say he's lukewarm on whether he wants to continue or not.  Probably see what's available and decide from there.

3 hours ago, vemmeistars said:

Think we hear anything this week on TJD/Race/Geronimo/Duncomb?

I would be shocked if Duncomb stays - I think I would love for him to stay and develop and be a guy that doesn’t see the floor as a freshman to a senior starter. It would make for a great story for all

13 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Curious if we hear something soon as in tomorrow. Guy in the know on one of the other boards I lurk around (BTownBanners is still the best and only place I post) hinted at it and they are all speculating. 

Just saw the post at HSN. A poster shows wide eyes and says nothing else, as if news of someone staying or going over the next day or two is a revelation.

Not trying to be an @$$, but that is most definitely not sticking one’s neck out. Pretty much every P5 school is getting player news almost every day. We’ve gone a few days without any and we are very overdue for some news.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Just saw the post at HSN. A poster shows wide eyes and says nothing else, as if news of someone staying or going over the next day or two is a revelation.

Not trying to be an @$$, but that is most definitely not sticking one’s neck out. Pretty much every P5 school is getting player news almost every day. We’ve gone a few days without any and we are very overdue for some news.

And that poster is highly accurate too