Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

And if JG transfers because he sees himself on the bench at the 3 and 4, are we more athletic with Dennis at the 3 and JG gone?  I don't think we are.  IU plays very good team defense under Woodson, so I think adding a great individual defender doesn't do as much as it would for a team that lacks defense.

The truth is that a lock down perimeter defender at the college level is not as important as a rim protector.  Rim protectors can clean up when a perimeter defender gets broken down.  Rim protectors have more of an effect on an opponent's offense does.  If, for instance, TJD were to leave for the pros, I'd rather add a shot blocker than a perimeter defender.

I think Dennis has more of a shot at getting minutes at the 3 than JG. JG is more athletic, but Dennis would allow us to get more collective athleticism on the court at the same time

3 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I thought about the "pay his own way" angle yesterday. I'm not sure if you're allowed to go from scholarship player to walk-on.

I don't think there is a rule against that. However, a player that is good enough to receive a scholarship to play basketball at IU is good enough to get a scholarship elsewhere, even if it's just at a school like State Fair Community College. That, combined with the probable and understandable perceived slight of having the scholarship taken away, means that it is unlikely a player would stay on a team if asked to become a walk-on after being a scholarship player.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

I don't think there is a rule against that. However, a player that is good enough to receive a scholarship to play basketball at IU is good enough to get a scholarship elsewhere, even if it's just at a school like State Fair Community College. That, combined with the probable and understandable perceived slight of having the scholarship taken away, means that it is unlikely a player would stay on a team if asked to become a walk-on after being a scholarship player.

I do know you are not allowed to go from athletic scholarship to academic scholarship. I asked about that last year. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

We wouldn't be trading the 13th for a planned 10-13 type player. If we got a new player at the expense of a current player, they would be expected to be in the rotation.

That's exactly true. I didn't want go into that part of the discussion at that time. We currently have more likely capable guys than we have minutes for. Another impact addiction pushes a current rotation guy into the end of the bench group. If we do that, we had better be certain that the addition is worth the subtraction.

Give me Dennis for JG. From an outside shot it’s basically negligible. Give me someone that’s proven to have a high grade with Dennis’ defense, over “well he’s going to improve over the summer.” How many times have we heard that? Love JG but it’s going to be this song and dance every year with him maybe going closer to home. Let’s get a lockdown wing defender. We need elite skill sets. JG is elite athletically but that’s not going to cut it. 

29 minutes ago, cthomas said:

That's exactly true. I didn't want go into that part of the discussion at that time. We currently have more likely capable guys than we have minutes for. Another impact addiction pushes a current rotation guy into the end of the bench group. If we do that, we had better be certain that the addition is worth the subtraction.

That’s my feeling.  Is one year of Dennis worth 2 or 3 for the player who might transfer as a result?

2 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

Give me Dennis for JG. From an outside shot it’s basically negligible. Give me someone that’s proven to have a high grade with Dennis’ defense, over “well he’s going to improve over the summer.” How many times have we heard that? Love JG but it’s going to be this song and dance every year with him maybe going closer to home. Let’s get a lockdown wing defender. We need elite skill sets. JG is elite athletically but that’s not going to cut it. 

In the two tournament games last year, JG played 40 minutes and scored 24 points and had 13 rebounds.  I would say it’s not lack of skill, it’s lack of opportunity.  And if TJD doesn’t come back and JG doesn’t improve at all, he still would put up a lot of double doubles from the 4.

Not really a roster thing for IU for next year, but has anyone heard anything about Lander’s potential landing spot for next season?  I know that he seemed to be going through some depression issues last year and wonder if he is trying to get some things in order before refocusing on basketball.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not really a roster thing for IU for next year, but has anyone heard anything about Lander’s potential landing spot for next season?  I know that he seemed to be going through some depression issues last year and wonder if he is trying to get some things in order before refocusing on basketball.

From his Instagram it looked like he was on a visit to Iona over the weekend. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I will agree that this is the second year we've heard about JG going closer to home, then the staff has to beg him to stay. It's getting a little old IMO. You either want to be here or you don't. If he comes with that closer-to-home stuff next season, push him out the door. 

To be fair…..he did stay at IU last year over what appeared to be his family’s wishes and he has not put his name in the portal this year yet despite there seemingly being a narrow path to see his role expanded.  He could have very easily already have decided to transfer when Race decided to come back if when IU continued the pursuit of Reneau.  He hasn’t.

18 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

I know nothing about Dennis. I do know JG has a long way to go and we need to quit the OG comparisons. Seems like he has one foot out the door which may or may not be hurting his development.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

From his Instagram it looked like he was on a visit to Iona over the weekend. 

Probably a good fit.  Pitino’s system would put him in the open court more and deempasizes half court defense but emphasizing speed with traps and pressing.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

I know nothing about Dennis. I do know JG has a long way to go and we need to quit the OG comparisons. Seems like he has one foot out the door which may or may not be hurting his development.

This is where I usually jinx things, but at this point all we have heard is that he might transfer if it didn’t look like he would be starting….and right now the prevailing thought is if TJD returns, he’s not stsrting…..and he still hasn’t transferred.

34 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In the two tournament games last year, JG played 40 minutes and scored 24 points and had 13 rebounds.  I would say it’s not lack of skill, it’s lack of opportunity.  And if TJD doesn’t come back and JG doesn’t improve at all, he still would put up a lot of double doubles from the 4.

I don’t really disagree with this. Just comes down to what skill set at an elite level could this team use. Well it’s shooting. Neither JG or DD will provide that. Do either possess an elite skill? Yes and the answer is DD. I would take 1 year of DD and hopes that it would push towards a Big10 championship and deep run. Look how important someone like Leaky Black was to UNCs run. If I’m putting my eggs in a basket for summer improvement, give me

- X continuing to improve his 3 as he did as season progressed. Playing under control for an entire season. 

- even slight upgrades to shooting % from Trey, Race, and Bates would help keep teams more honest 

- overall team FT%

those improvements with TJD coming back and I’m not sure we would miss JG, this year. 

2 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

I don’t really disagree with this. Just comes down to what skill set at an elite level could this team use. Well it’s shooting. Neither JG or DD will provide that. Do either possess an elite skill? Yes and the answer is DD. I would take 1 year of DD and hopes that it would push towards a Big10 championship and deep run. Look how important someone like Leaky Black was to UNCs run. If I’m putting my eggs in a basket for summer improvement, give me

- X continuing to improve his 3 as he did as season progressed. Playing under control for an entire season. 

- even slight upgrades to shooting % from Trey, Race, and Bates would help keep teams more honest 

- overall team FT%

those improvements with TJD coming back and I’m not sure we would miss JG, this year. 

I would argue that JG already has an elite skill:  rebounding.  

In terms of Dexter Dennis, it is interesting that despite being the defensive player of the year in the AAC, he was not named to the first, second, or third team all-conference.

49 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will agree that this is the second year we've heard about JG going closer to home, then the staff has to beg him to stay. It's getting a little old IMO. You either want to be here or you don't. If he comes with that closer-to-home stuff next season, push him out the door. 

Do you know that he's saying that to the coaching staff and they are begging him to stay? Or is it all just message board fodder? Last year he did put his name into the portal along with 1/2 the team since his coach was fired and at that time his family wanted him closer to home. It's probable that they still want that but is it known that JG is thinking of leaving? He hasn't entered the portal this season.