Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

34 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm not so sure that he does. There won't be many minutes for those last three or four spots on the roster. Guys filling those spots who are also good for the culture are hard to find. 

We wouldn't be trading the 13th for a planned 10-13 type player. If we got a new player at the expense of a current player, they would be expected to be in the rotation.

45 minutes ago, Trish said:

We had a walk-on play before Logan this year. He may not be ready and may need another year which happens in college basketball, yes.

Sure he was ranked nicely but from our history, we know rankings really don't mean anything.

If Woodson is playing a walk-on before a scholarship player, we may have a problem. 

I rather "Crean" Logan than Leal. Leal is the hometown kid, indiana fan growing up. We can't play everyone but Leal is the culture kid you need in your program. 

I think the walk-on went in as a wing, guard. Wasn't playing in a spot that LD would occupy.

57 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But at some point, Leal has to become more than just a cheerleader using up a scholarship. 

To me the question is whose minutes does Dennis get if he comes to IU?  If Trayce returns and JG returns, IMO that's a really full roster already (and I am still of the opinion that next year JG can play the 3).

1's:  JHS and X.....with one moving to the 2 when both are in.

Galloway can play 1-3.

Bates can play the 2 or 3.

Gunn is a 2 or 3.

Leal is a 2 or 3.

Kopp is a 3.

Banks is a 3.

JG is a 3 or 4.

Reneau is a 4.

Race is a 4 or 5.

TJD is a 5.

Duncomb is a 5.

Personally, I'm not big on having JG/Reneau/Race/TJD splitting a total of 80 minutes, which means that one has to get some minutes at the 3 to increase that number.  Best candidate is JG.  Leal likely isn't getting many minutes.  My guess is that Banks will get some time but not major minutes.  If JG gets 10 minutes at the 3, that's 110 minutes for JHS/X/Kopp/Galloway/Bates.  If you figure them getting 30/30/20/20/10 in some manner, where do Dennis's minutes come from?  It's not coming from Leal because he wasn't getting many minutes anyway.  Also not coming from Gunn who likely doesn't play much and in the scenario I've given, neither is Banks.  I can't find a scenario where Dennis gets any kind of real time on the court.....and I'm not sure after playing 30 minutes/game for four years at Wichita State why he would want to enter a scenario where he is always going to be south of 20 minutes.  

25 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

We wouldn't be trading the 13th for a planned 10-13 type player. If we got a new player at the expense of a current player, they would be expected to be in the rotation.

But where is Dennis in the 10?  

To me if he is slotted above Bates, JG, and Galloway, you are taking away minutes from guys who could be here for three more years and could use court time for a guy who would be here for one year and only offers a moderate upgrade.  Defensively, Dennis is very, very good.  Offensively, he's not.

IF the staff knows we have a player that is wanting to move on for whatever reason (which I think the two most likely candidates would be JG or Kopp), then bringing in Dennis or McNeil makes sense.    Forcing out someone for a moderate upgrade doesn't make sense IMO.  It's not that we are trading Leal's minutes for Dennis if Leal leaves because Leal isn't projected to get minutes anyway.  Instead, Dennis would be coming in and getting minutes from Bates or someone that is already a rotational player.  

When's the last time anyone used a 13 man rotation even remotely consistently? Pushing Leal out to make room for a talented kid that will be pissed off on the end of the bench makes zero sense to me. Leal is perfect for the role and has 3 years left but we want someone who is more talented and more likely to pout when the PT isn't there and then leave after 1 year? What does that accomplish besides pissing off two kids and the people close to them?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

That’s why I’m 100% in favor of it. We’re not talking about swapping Leal for a different 13th guy. We’d be replacing the 13th guy with a rotation player, which in turn would push someone else to the end of the line. It’d make us a better team. I think McNeil makes us better next year than Leal does, so it’s a no brainer to me. Talent wins in basketball. Acquire as much of it as you can. That leads to winning, which leads to momentum, which leads to top recruits.

We got some momentum last year when we made it to the semifinals of the conference tournament and then made the NCAA tournament. If we lose to Michigan and miss the tournament do we still get Malik? Maybe, but the staff wouldn’t have as much to sell, and some of our guys like Race and Xavier may have left. 

Elite programs push out and recruit over guys all the time. They still land top talent. If IU becomes an elite team again we wont have to worry about it either. 

I don’t think we need to debate if Leal will get pushed out, if we add another player, as I think there is a high probability of at least one of TJD, DL or JG leaving. I don’t won’t any of those three leaving but think someone won’t be happy with the available 4/5 minutes and/or will go pro. (if TJD leaves a lot of minutes open up and maybe JG and/DL could pick up minutes. JG could get more minutes if Race plays some 5).

Getting Mailik was huge and we have a great, great class coming in but unless Bates really ramps up his game, which I think he can, we might still be lacking a multi-faceted offensive “go-to” guy that plays either the 1, 2 or 3. The lack of a non-TJD “go-to” guy was one of our biggest weaknesses last year and might be once again this upcoming season. That could change if a couple of “ifs” materialize……if Bates plays like we think he can, if Galloway can develop being a threat from the perimeter, if JG develops handles to be a 3,  if JHS is a stud from the get-go and shoots better than he did in HS, if X plays all season like he did down the stretch. I think our D will be great next year but we still need to make buckets. There are a whole lot of “ifs” that will be fun to watch. 

2 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t think we need to debate if Leal will get pushed out, if we add another player, as I think there is a high probability of at least one of TJD, DL or JG leaving. I don’t won’t any of those three leaving but think someone won’t be happy with the available 4/5 minutes and/or will go pro. (if TJD leaves a lot of minutes open up and maybe JG and/DL could pick up minutes. JG could get more minutes if Race plays some 5).

Do you really think that Dogan Luncomb would transfer?

14 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

But where is Dennis in the 10?  

To me if he is slotted above Bates, JG, and Galloway, you are taking away minutes from guys who could be here for three more years and could use court time for a guy who would be here for one year and only offers a moderate upgrade.  Defensively, Dennis is very, very good.  Offensively, he's not.

IF the staff knows we have a player that is wanting to move on for whatever reason (which I think the two most likely candidates would be JG or Kopp), then bringing in Dennis or McNeil makes sense.    Forcing out someone for a moderate upgrade doesn't make sense IMO.  It's not that we are trading Leal's minutes for Dennis if Leal leaves because Leal isn't projected to get minutes anyway.  Instead, Dennis would be coming in and getting minutes from Bates or someone that is already a rotational player.  

Dennis is the starting 3 if he comes

12 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Defensively, Dennis is very, very good.  Offensively, he's not.

Yep and if we add another guy I would like it to be someone that addresses a need and, based on last year, our need is on the offensive side of the court.

My thinking would change if Woody already knows that a couple more guys are leaving but if that’s not the case I’d like us to only add someone if they address the need to get buckets.

Just now, DChoosier said:

Yep and if we add another guy I would like it to be someone that addresses a need and, based on last year, our need is on the offensive side of the court.

My thinking would change if Woody already knows that a couple more guys are leaving but if that’s not the case I’d like us to only add someone if they address the need to get buckets.

He's making us more athletic, so that is addressing a need. 

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Do you really think that Dogan Luncomb would transfer?

I don’t know but he hasn’t overtly said he is staying like others have. I hope he stays but if he really wants minutes this year (I have no idea if he is willing to put in 1,2 or 3 more years to get minutes) he might not see an opening if TJD and Race stay and with the addition of Malik (I know he is a 4 but he could possibly get some time on the court with Race at the 5 (ie instead of DL). On the other hand he might love IU and having the time of his life.

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dennis is the starting 3 if he comes

If he is, then our three point shooting would be even worse than last year.  We were fine defensively last year even with Stewart and Kopp's shortcomings.  We weren't fine offensively.  It's much easier to improve our offense than our defense, so I'm not sure of the fit here.  As athletic as Dennis is, he's not a good offensive player.

39 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Was that really a need? Does Hanner Perea still have any eligibility left?

The need was to add more players that are multi-dimensional offensively. Dennis isn’t that at all, he’s not much of an offensive threat

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

And if JG transfers because he sees himself on the bench at the 3 and 4, are we more athletic with Dennis at the 3 and JG gone?  I don't think we are.  IU plays very good team defense under Woodson, so I think adding a great individual defender doesn't do as much as it would for a team that lacks defense.

The truth is that a lock down perimeter defender at the college level is not as important as a rim protector.  Rim protectors can clean up when a perimeter defender gets broken down.  Rim protectors have more of an effect on an opponent's offense does.  If, for instance, TJD were to leave for the pros, I'd rather add a shot blocker than a perimeter defender.

42 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t know but he hasn’t overtly said he is staying like others have. I hope he stays but if he really wants minutes this year (I have no idea if he is willing to put in 1,2 or 3 more years to get minutes) he might not see an opening if TJD and Race stay and with the addition of Malik (I know he is a 4 but he could possibly get some time on the court with Race at the 5 (ie instead of DL). On the other hand he might love IU and having the time of his life.

I was yanking your chain....you put "DL".   There is no one on our team by the name of "Dogan Luncomb".  His name is Logan Duncomb.