Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

3 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

If Gunn demonstrates he can shoot from long range, he will see the floor.  Reneau's commitment is obviously great news and exciting. But it doesn't address the primary weakness of the team--3 point shooting. The shooting guards currently are Trey Galloway (21% from 3--point range), Anthony Leal (31%) and Tamar Bates (29%). Gunn shot 37% this past season. Obviously, college defenses are better than high school. But if Gunn can shoot 37% from 3-point, he will earn playing time unless the others shoot considerably better next season than they did this past season.

The high school three point line is closer than the college line. 37% from the high school line does not translate to 35%+ from the college line. Banks shot better than CJ this past season, and weighs 30 pounds more.

And, if you can’t defend at the college level you won’t see minutes under Woody. For a freshman to play they’re going to need experience defending against elite talent. We now have two freshmen with that experience.

2 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

If Gunn demonstrates he can shoot from long range, he will see the floor.  Reneau's commitment is obviously great news and exciting. But it doesn't address the primary weakness of the team--3 point shooting. The shooting guards currently are Trey Galloway (21% from 3--point range), Anthony Leal (31%) and Tamar Bates (29%). Gunn shot 37% this past season. Obviously, college defenses are better than high school. But if Gunn can shoot 37% from 3-point, he will earn playing time unless the others shoot considerably better next season than they did this past season.

Gunn isn't going to be ready. Probably won't even be that close to being ready, but thats perfectly fine. 6'5-6'6 long wing. 

Lots to add to his game before he's impactful at the PW5 level. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Gunn isn't going to be ready. Probably won't even be that close to being ready, but thats perfectly fine. 6'5-6'6 long wing. 

Lots to add to his game before he's impactful at the PW5 level. 

It’s an interesting dynamic though—The two five star freshmen are well accustomed to sitting on the bench in high school, and our two lower ranked freshmen were the center of the universe for their teams.

Here is what I have right now: 

Starters: X, JHS, Tamar, Race, TJD (replace with Malik if he does not return)

Bench in order of talent: Geronimo, Malik, Galloway, Banks, Kopp, Gunn, Leal, Duncomb

If Dennis or McNeil land at IU then I have to think they play starter like minutes. I'm not sold on Tamar starting just yet but I also don't know about Jordan at the 3. We will see. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Does anyone close to the program know who the staff is favoring between Dennis & McNeil?

I personally would love to add Dennis.

I think Dennis is probably the better all around player but McNeil probably fits a specific need. I'd take then both. To me, it sounds more likely Dennis is coming. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And, if you can’t defend at the college level you won’t see minutes under Woody.

Obviously. Gunn is 6'5" and athletic. I have no idea whether he is ready to play college level or not. But I am amused by how certain some are at predicting who will play and who won't. I am not predicting anything except allowing for the possibility that a 6'5" athletic player who shot well in high school will get some playing time if he can demonstrate he can shoot at the next level given how poorly IU shot from 3-point range this past season. Another way to say it is that the others mentioned--Leal, Galloway, and Bates--need to step up to improve their shooting to warrant significant playing time. 

28 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Obviously. Gunn is 6'5" and athletic. I have no idea whether he is ready to play college level or not. But I am amused by how certain some are at predicting who will play and who won't. I am not predicting anything except allowing for the possibility that a 6'5" athletic player who shot well in high school will get some playing time if he can demonstrate he can shoot at the next level given how poorly IU shot from 3-point range this past season. Another way to say it is that the others mentioned--Leal, Galloway, and Bates--need to step up to improve their shooting to warrant significant playing time. 

1. I am glad you are amused. ( thinks of Joe Pesci “Do I amuse you?!?”)
  2. Mostly agree with you, especially the part about Leal and Bates needing to shoot it better to earn playing time.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

especially the part about Leal and Bates needing to shoot it better to earn playing time.

Especially, Leal. Bates is more athletic than Leal and has demonstrated he can score by driving to the basket. Also, although his overall 3-point shooting percentage is not good, Bates hit some clutch shots down the stretch. Leal is court smart. But a shooting guard has to shoot more and with more accuracy than he has. Leal seems to lack the confidence of a good shooter as he passes up too many open shots.

2 hours ago, Trish said:

Assuming TJD comes back.. which I guess might actually happen now LOL.

These are the 10 I think play.. at least as of today. Now after an off-season program and who develops their shooting ability, then our starting line - up could be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Kopp starts again. The fight for the starting 2 will be a battle between Hood and Tamar. I just know for sure Johnson, TJD, and Race would be starting. 

We have depth for sure.

Xaiver / Hood

Tamar / Gunn

Galloway / Kopp

Race / Jordan

TJD / Malik

DNPCD's : Leal, Logan, Banks

Banks will play way before Gunn will

Banks will play way before Gunn will
I would probably go this way;

Xavier/ JHS
JHS/ Galloway or transfer/ leal
Bates/ Banks/ Kopp
Race/ Geronimo
TJD/ Malik/ Duncomb

Not sure how good of a shooter Malik is would like to see a lineup of

X
JHS
Malik
Race
TJD
Would be an excellent defensive lineup

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, maharkn said:

I would probably go this way;

Xavier/ JHS
JHS/ Galloway or transfer/ leal
Bates/ Banks/ Kopp
Race/ Geronimo
TJD/ Malik/ Duncomb

Not sure how good of a shooter Malik is would like to see a lineup of

X
JHS
Malik
Race
TJD
Would be an excellent defensive lineup

Those three won't be on the floor together in the front court

Those three won't be on the floor together in the front court
Just watched his highlights for the first and he reminds me of trayce, but I will stick with my first lineup

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think Dennis is probably the better all around player but McNeil probably fits a specific need. I'd take then both. To me, it sounds more likely Dennis is coming. 

I can't see Dennis coming unless the feeling is that Geronimo is transferring.

2 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I know it’s not binary, but I’ll say this - I’d rather have Anthony Leal than Dexter Dennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leal’s really no better of a shooter than Dennis, and he doesn’t play defense. It’s great that Leal loves IU but that can’t be the reason you keep a guy. We already have a cheerleading squad. 

There are currently no available scholarships which may prompt Woodson to ask all of the players (except TJD) to commit now to remaining on the team for next season or state that they intend to enter the transfer portal. There's no point in players like Dexter and McNeil visiting IU if there are no available scholarships--unless they are willing to wait for another 6 weeks to see what TJD does.

51 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Leal’s really no better of a shooter than Dennis, and he doesn’t play defense. It’s great that Leal loves IU but that can’t be the reason you keep a guy. We already have a cheerleading squad. 

While it’s a good problem to have, it’s getting harder to see Dennis getting minutes.  If JG is around I would personally prefer to see the staff working with JG to get to get the bulk of the bulk of the minutes there.  Kopp still gets minutes as a shooter off the bench and Galloway already fills the role of being being a multiple position defender.  And we haven’t even begun to talk about Bates’ role at the wing where he has the possibility of being a legitimate multiple level scorer .