Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Xavier Johnson - Commits to IU (PG)

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I think Rob can be a shooting guard offensively if he returns his touch.....defensively we are better if he guards the point and Xavier guards the 2.  I think likely whenever Lander or Phin are in at the same time as X, Johnson will guard the 2.

Not really talking just you, as it has been oft repeated, but the talk of Rob Phin getting his stroke back assumes he ever had it, heck, even Fife talked about it. I like him as a player but he has never been even an adequate shooter as a guard from 2, 3, or FT's. I think he has value, but right now his three yr history, doesn't bode well for ever becoming an outside threatimage.thumb.png.e6202c70d372511fdce913a2e17ddd06.png.

14 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not really talking just you, as it has been oft repeated, but the talk of Rob Phin getting his stroke back assumes he ever had it, heck, even Fife talked about it. I like him as a player but he has never been even an adequate shooter as a guard from 2, 3, or FT's. I think he has value, but right now his three yr history, doesn't bode well for ever becoming an outside threatimage.thumb.png.e6202c70d372511fdce913a2e17ddd06.png.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rob-phinisee-1/splits/2019/

Check out his splits his first two months not exactly lights out. But very promising for a freshmen 

On 4/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, Brass Cannon said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rob-phinisee-1/splits/2019/

Check out his splits his first two months not exactly lights out. But very promising for a freshmen 

Over the summer CAM touted Rob as one of the team’s top 3 outside shooters (with Al and Hunter). That was from over the summer scrimmaging and practice not games but he was hitting. He has the form and the ability imo, a lot seems to be about where his head is and whether he’s being encouraged to shoot. Hope he can show that shooting in games next season 

23 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

His final decision for the portal transfer came down to us and Baylor. He fits that Baylor national championship team mold--he's gonna play with serious edge. Opponents will HATE him... and that's a good thing.

Frankly I’m already giddy about the Brad Davison frustration technical we’ll enjoy one Saturday afternoon next February as a result of Xavier eating his lunch in front of the gathered Assembly Hall faithful. Kopp drains the free throws and the Hoosiers lead 66-52 with six minutes to go

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Glad someone on the team has said this. I'm happy that I see a strong, vocal leader in Xavier and coach Hunter brought him in. But at the same time, I feel a little bit disappointed that the person had to be a transfer student, not one of the returning players. It's not easy for a transfer student to take over the leadership role, which really shows Xavier's character. 

11 minutes ago, akumanina said:

Glad someone on the team has said this. I'm happy that I see a strong, vocal leader in Xavier and coach Hunter brought him in. But at the same time, I feel a little bit disappointed that the person had to be a transfer student, not one of the returning players. It's not easy for a transfer student to take over the leadership role, which really shows Xavier's character. 

Ohh.. idk. I get your overall point, but TJD isn't a big "leader"... love him, great person, awesome basketball player, but I don't know if he is going to hold others accountable. "Leading by example" is simply doing your job. These guys spend essentially every waking second together, leaders emerge in those off season workouts. Transfer or not, I believe, that isn't a huge factor in who is our "vocal" guy. Hope all is well brother. 

49 minutes ago, akumanina said:

I don't know that talking to your teammates on twitter really counts as leadership. That said, other posters have said that he's been vocal in practice and is showing a lot of leadership there. Part of the problem the last few years was a lack of leadership, both on the coaching staff and on the team. So it had to come in from somewhere because it looked unlikely that any of the returning players would step into that role since the one who appeared to be the  mostly likely player to step up, Franklin, transferred out.

6 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I don't know that talking to your teammates on twitter really counts as leadership. That said, other posters have said that he's been vocal in practice and is showing a lot of leadership there. Part of the problem the last few years was a lack of leadership, both on the coaching staff and on the team. So it had to come in from somewhere because it looked unlikely that any of the returning players would step into that role since the one who appeared to be the  mostly likely player to step up, Franklin, transferred out.

My hope is we have multiple alphas this year. I think XJ, Stewart, and TJD will all be backbones. At least that's what the fan in me thinks. Hearing Stewart is shooting lights out, XJ is leading, and we all know TJD ballz. 

I think this year's team will be very very different. And I like it.