Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

26 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

Any possibility this is just everyone's way of saving face so he can finish Bostons season? No I'm not holding onto hope, just curious. The comments about feeling like he needs to see the season through coupled with the good vibes we were getting on here seem odd. 

After that press conference though, Dolson will have fans up his @$$ if this goes until June.

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Yep.

I realize you get caught up in the heat of the moment, but to me, this just is an ugly optic. Especially for a guy who repeatedly touts his faith and Christianity. None of us are perfect, but I remember seeing this and -- it just really bothered me ... As the coach of a major university, you can't get caught up in something like this ... 

Let me ask this, if Brad Stevens (I know he wouldn’t but) did that would any of us say anything at all?? We would probably say we love his passion. 

We need someone who is committed to iu basketball and who can recruit and be successful. If stevens don't want it we need to find the next person who is. Remember stevens went to two title games and lost both. We need someone who can win lol. Kinda

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Mods your jobs just got harder after this news I’m sure. Thanks for all you guys do, I know it’s not easy and you are just as frustrated as the rest of us 

You don’t or shouldn’t need to apologize, you’re only sharing what you hear and this entire situation has been crazy. I’m grateful and have been since the old scout site with the late milehi telling us about Sampson. I for one appreciate all the info. 

6 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

There is an anti mob mentality against Alford on this board. Just seems rampant an unwarranted.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not Anti-Alford, I LOVED him as a kid. All-time Great IU player. 

What has he done as a coach that merits the IU job? Just his record at P5 schools is average. If he had gone to another school would you want him? No, you want him because he's an "Indiana guy." That is fine, but those disagreeing are not irrational, objectively he is not a great coach. 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Let me ask this, if Brad Stevens (I know he wouldn’t but) did that would any of us say anything at all?? We would probably say we love his passion. 

I can't speak for others -- I'm not sure I even know their language -- but even if Stevens were at IU and did this, it would bother me. I just think a coach at a major university should be above this behavior. 

22 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Ainge giving Brad another raise during a lackluster season when both of them are hearing calls for their heads is something I can't believe. My guess is they don't have to actually legally report raises so we'll probably never know. 

I'm 99.99999999999% sure the Celtics would have to publicly announce a change to his contract terms. Not the actual terms, but that they renegotiated his deal. 

On the other point, Wyc and Danny don't care what the fans think as far as the coach. I dont mean they don't care about fans, but they don't operate by fan pressure. They never have. They love Stevens and were always going to try and keep him. 

3 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Just to be clear, my post was defending you and Chris007.

We appreciated the sentiment, but had to hide. We aren’t affiliated with any fighting sanctioning bodies, unfortunately. Carry on. 

12 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Me too I’m glad I’m not alone, people around me think I’m digging too deep but this would be the ultimate smoke screen and it would look legit which is why the insiders and their sources are stunned. Cynical but that’s what it looks like. 

It would be incredibly stupid IMO.  If I am planning a surprise for my wife, I don't leave hints that I am buying a diamond if my plans are to take her to St. Elmo's for a nice dinner.  

If you have a signed agreement  it can be done without having announced.  Think that is what we were being led to believe.  
I read every post in this thread. I never once took any tweet or "insider" information as 100% fact. Whenever SD hires a coach, he will make a formal announcement. That is when I will believe who the next coach is. I've been saying this all along.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I can't speak for others -- I'm not sure I even know their language -- but even if Stevens were at IU and did this, it would bother me. I just think a coach at a major university should be above this behavior. 

Fair enough.  I’m guessing most though wouldn’t care if games were being won.  If I remember right Steve apologized after that in the post game presser and to the kid also.  Just to clarify I don’t want him, just saying winning makes fans blind 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It would be incredibly stupid IMO.  If I am planning a surprise for my wife, I don't leave hints that I am buying a diamond if my plans are to take her to St. Elmo's for a nice dinner.  

That’s true very true haha 

I'm not Anti-Alford, I LOVED him as a kid. All-time Great IU player. 
What has he done as a coach that merits the IU job? Just his record at P5 schools is average. If he had gone to another school would you want him? No, you want him because he's an "Indiana guy." That is fine, but those disagreeing are not irrational, objectively he is not a great coach. 

“Objectively” give him a chance to prove you right.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Beard has made the tourney 3/4 times he’s been there and it’s been played. He’s been to two elite eights and a national title game. He won the big 12 regular season in 18-19 ending Kansas long run and so far he’s 3-0 in the first round of the tourney. So beside his first season he’s been great and I’m not sure what your expectations are, but in 4 years if we win the conference, make two EE’s and a title game run I’d be very happy. 

Results matter and Beard has gotten them. Gotta give credit where credit is due. I've seen/heard him interviewed a few times. I must say that I believe his personality would be much more suited to the position than Archie's was... but that's not saying much. I think I have rocks in my backyard with more personality than Archie.