Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not that he will, but Cureblo is a good partner, and Ayo’s role is a great role.

And the guy who likely would have filled Ayo's role -- Adam Miller -- entered the transfer portal.  Started all 31 games as a freshman for Illinois.  Averaged 8.3 points last season at Illinois.  That transfer was a strange one as it did look like with Ayo gone he would be a focus of the offense.  Also sounds like he entered the portal with no intention of even considering staying at Illinois -- Underwood's released statement pretty much seemed like a farewell, that he "has a very bright future ahead, and we wish him all the best".

33 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And the guy who likely would have filled Ayo's role -- Adam Miller -- entered the transfer portal.  Started all 31 games as a freshman for Illinois.  Averaged 8.3 points last season at Illinois.  That transfer was a strange one as it did look like with Ayo gone he would be a focus of the offense.  Also sounds like he entered the portal with no intention of even considering staying at Illinois -- Underwood's released statement pretty much seemed like a farewell, that he "has a very bright future ahead, and we wish him all the best".

It's not that strange a transfer. Adam Miller is a top 40 recruit who projects as a point guard in the pros, and with Curbelo locked in as the Illinois point he wanted to be the on-ball guy somewhere else. 

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's not that strange a transfer. Adam Miller is a top 40 recruit who projects as a point guard in the pros, and with Curbelo locked in as the Illinois point he wanted to be the on-ball guy somewhere else. 

Pretty poor excuse. Just because you don't play point guard a lot doesn't meant you can't in the pros. Illinois has done it before with Brown and Williams. 

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Makes me wonder why he chose Illinois, though.  Miller didn't commit to Illinois until spring of his senior of his senior year and Curbelo was a top 50 prospect himself and a point guard who had chosen Illinois.

15 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Makes me wonder why he chose Illinois, though.  Miller didn't commit to Illinois until spring of his senior of his senior year and Curbelo was a top 50 prospect himself and a point guard who had chosen Illinois.

A guess? He thought that he would beat Curbello out for that role.

Hasn’t worked out that way. Or maybe he just isn’t getting along with Underwood 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I guess? He thought that he would beat Curbello out for that role.

Hasn’t worked out that way.

I wouldn't even say it was so much him getting beat out for that role....factually, Miller was on the court more (25 1/2 mpg) than Curbelo (21 1/2 minutes), it's just that Curbelo is suited to play the 1 while Miller could be the 1 or 2.  Miller was a starting and playing more.  But Curbelo isn't really a guy you are going to switch over to the two because of his size and lack of shooting.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I guess? He thought that he would beat Curbello out for that role.

Hasn’t worked out that way.

Miller’s recruitment was always interesting with them.   He committed early but didn’t sign during the early signing period.   A lot of their fans thought he was gone then or waiting on what Ayo was going to do.  Ayo ended up coming back and Miller signed in the late period anyway.  

15 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Miller’s recruitment was always interesting with them.   He committed early but didn’t sign during the early signing period.   A lot of their fans thought he was gone then or waiting on what Ayo was going to do.  Ayo ended up coming back and Miller signed in the late period anyway.  

He was kind of late to the transfer portal as well.  I think a lot of Illini fans assumed this year with Ayo turning pro and Miller already locked in as a starter and offensive focal and him not going into the portal until recently that he was coming back.  Just kind of struck me out of left field that he was transferring.  I believe he announced that he was transferring with a one word tweet of "transfer" before deleting it.  With Underwood and Illinois' tweet following it up wishing him well but not really leaving the door open for a return it might be that he and Underwood were not on the same page for his future as Stuhoo suggested.

53 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Player or two. I'm leaving that open to Jordan also. 

Jordan might come back? It had sounded like he was good as gone from the comments his parents had made. Hope he does decide to stick around, though. 

54 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I am totally preparing for Armaan to leave. 

I am also totally preparing for a more than suitable replacement. 

Go Hoosiers!

Same here. It is what it is. Armaan was #2 on my list of players with uncertainty but it sounds like he is almost keeping everyone else (TJD, Parker, Lander, Geronimo, Brunk)