Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Same here. It is what it is. Armaan was #2 on my list of players with uncertainty but it sounds like he is almost keeping everyone else (TJD, Parker, Lander, Geronimo, Brunk)

Parker Stewart coming back mitigated the necessity for Armaan to come back. Just get 1 more combo guard and this team should  be just fine. 

That said, I totally hope Armaan returns. I really like him and love rooting for him. 

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Parker Stewart coming back mitigated the necessity for Armaan to come back. Just get 1 more combo guard and this team should  be just fine. 

That said, I totally hope Armaan returns. I really like him and love rooting for him. 

+1 At the start of last season, I picked Armaan as the player who would make the biggest jump. Not really because I knew anything, but because I really like rooting for him and wanted him to make a big jump. 

Hopefully, if he makes another big jump it is to all American status at IU, not jumping to another school...

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Lot of faith being placed in Parker Stewart to provide us with a 3-point shooter.  Hopefully it's not misguided faith and he's a Nick Z kind of shooter and not an Evan Fitzner.  

Evan fitzner averaged 4 points at St. Mary's....

Not sure that is comparable to what Stewart has done. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Lot of faith being placed in Parker Stewart to provide us with a 3-point shooter.  Hopefully it's not misguided faith and he's a Nick Z kind of shooter and not an Evan Fitzner.  

With Fitzner, he was a low volume three point shooter in a pretty weak conference. And he wasn’t the kind of guy who was out creating his own shots. Stewart shot 43% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game as a freshman in the ACC l. That’s not to say he’s a sure thing, or that he’ll replicate what he did at Pitt, but I’m honestly not worried at all about him being a Fitzner-type flop. 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

TJD said in his presser that Parker was a "hooper" and can shoot. He spoke highly of his abilities.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

With Fitzner, he was a low volume three point shooter in a pretty weak conference. And he wasn’t the kind of guy who was out creating his own shots. Stewart shot 43% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game as a freshman in the ACC l. That’s not to say he’s a sure thing, or that he’ll replicate what he did at Pitt, but I’m honestly not worried at all about him being a Fitzner-type flop. 

3.8 and 3.1 a game in less than 25 minutes isn’t exactly low volume. 

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Evan Fitzner was always a mystery to me. Obviously, he was lacking in some key areas, but the guy could shoot. He wasn't able to create his own shots, so definitely he needed help and specific plays designed for him. So if Archie simply didn't do that or wasn't willing to do that for him, why did Archie bring him here in the first place? It was like a failure waiting to happen.  

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

3.8 and 3.1 a game in less than 25 minutes isn’t exactly low volume. 

It is when you’re looking at someone’s percentage and trying to figure out if their shooting will carry. When you’re only taking 3 a game, a few misses or makes will have a huge impact on your percentage. Phinisee took 3.6 threes a game this past year and not many people would consider him a high volume three point shooter. Fitzner’a last year at Saint Mary’s he took 1.8 a game. In total during his three years there he averaged 2.9 a game. And he was taking almost all catch and shoot threes versus taking a lot of shots off the dribble like Stewart. A guy shooting 35% on 8.2 threes a game, playing the way Stewart did his last year in college, is quite likely a better shooter than a spot up shooter like Fitzgerald shooting 40% on 3 attempts a game. 

Just now, akumanina said:

Evan Fitzner was always a mystery to me. Obviously, he was lacking in some key areas, but the guy could shoot. He wasn't able to create his own shots, so definitely he needed help and specific plays designed for him. So if Archie simply didn't do that or wasn't willing to do that for him, why did Archie bring him here in the first place? It was like a failure waiting to happen.  

It was Archie Miller. He was exactly what we were given. A bad coach. 

I doubt very much the development pieces were all being done by Archie (most of that is done by grad assistants, if you want to know the truth.  That's true nation wide and always has been), and a whole lot other than "bad coach" can affect details in sports i.e. shooting.    Baseball slumps are 99% mental.   Hitting got guys to the majors, and shooting got kids to college.   Durham's jumper looked exactly the same as it did when he got to IU.  No form was changed.  Come on, fellas.   

The truth is a disconne3cted team with no confidence will shoot like sh*t.   That's on coaching as much as anything, but kids didn't become bad shooters because they were coached "badly."    Poor offense?  Yes.  But then again, Crean never so much as set a screen for Jordan Hulls; and there's awful offense (especially off the ball) all over the place.

21 minutes ago, akumanina said:

From what I remember of Fitzner, he got a lot of good looks at IU. He just couldn’t hit them. Archie could’ve played a role in that but he also made a big leap in terms of the competition he faced. It’s big jump from the WCC to the Big Ten. Some guys can handle it but other guys can’t. And some of it has to do with his volume. Take four of his misses over a 31 game season and turn them into makes and he goes from a 31% shooter to a 38% shooter. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It was disappointing that Fitzner went from a 40% 3 point shooter his junior year, at St Mary’s, to a 30% 3 point shooter at IU.

On the other hand.....in a weak conference he averaged 5.5 points as a sophomore and 5 points as a junior. A 6’11” guy in a weak conference only averaged 5 a game as a junior so it’s not a shocker that when he moved to the Big Ten he only averaged 3.5 at IU. 

EDIT: Parker averaged 9 points and shot nearly 39% from the three in the much tougher ACC. “On paper” he seems like a safer bet than Fitzner.

6 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

It was disappointing that Fitzner went from a 40% 3 point shooter his junior year, at St Mary’s, to a 30% 3 point shooter at IU.

On the other hand.....in a weak conference he averaged 5.5 points as a sophomore and 5 points as a junior. A 6’11” guy in a weak conference only averaged 5 a game as a junior so it’s not a shocker that when he moved to the Big Ten he only averaged 3.5 at IU. 

EDIT: Parker averaged 9 points and shot nearly 39% from the three in the much tougher ACC. “On paper” he seems like a safer bet than Fitzner.

And during conference play at Pitt he averaged 11 ppg and shot 42.5% from 3. Nothing is guaranteed, but a guy who previously shot the three very well at the P5 level is a much safer bet than a guy like Fitzner. 

I wasn't very excited about Fitzner when it was announced that he would transfer to IU. He didn't put up big numbers against weak competition so I didn't think he'd do well at IU. Then he had that game against Marquette and I thought I was wrong. In the end it turned out that my initial reaction was correct. I think it was a combination of the stronger competition combined with coaching.

Stewart has had a year in the ACC and put up decent numbers as only a freshman and won't have Miller as coach. I think he'll turn out pretty well and really help the team this season.

• Fitzner was an excellent stretch 4 outside shooter out West.
  • He started red hot as a shooter at IU.
  • As he became more and more entrenched in Archie's system, his shooting numbers got worse and worse.

In retrospect, this is not even a little bit surprising.