Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

6 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Yep. If Reeves will come and make IU better, you have to do it, despite hurt feelings and diminished opportunities for current players. 

I prefer the traditional dymnamic of building a team and developing players over time, but like much in our society that is a thing of the past. We prefer "right now" over what is "right", so guys will leave and a new crop will come in. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not. Let's hope IU has the right ingredients for a special season. 

Agree with your first point completely.

As for your second point? I'm pretty sure that in the 'good old days' when Keith Smart and Dean Garrett parachuted into Bloomington, "developed" three year or more players like Todd Meier, Magnus Pelkowski, Steve Eyl, Kreigh Smith, and Brian Sloan thought to themselves; "Sh!t, I guess I'm not playing much this year after all."  And if the transfer rules didn't require them to sit out a year to play their senior year? It's a reasonable assumption that a few of them would have been gonzo.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

As for your second point? I'm pretty sure that when Keith Smart and Dean Garrett parachuted into Bloomington, "developed" three year or more players like Todd Meier, Steve Eyl, Kreigh Smith, and Brian Sloan thought to themselves; "Sh!t, I guess I'm not playing much this year after all." 

Absolutely, was never a perfect world, just now with the ease of ejecting the guys that could develop (Gunn for example) are much more likely to bolt. 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

Absolutely, was never a perfect world, just now with the ease of ejecting the guys that could develop (Gunn for example) are much more likely to bolt. 

Although we've had some in-state kids bolt, to me it's still far more likely that the out of state kids will bolt if they don't see a rotation role for themselves.

Can’t worry too much about playing time and the portal though.  The best and better players will play.  Almost all players will get chances in games and in practice it should be fairly obvious where the chips lie.  I mean, we want great chemistry but all teams have hiccups.  Win at a high enough level things will work out.  

Duncomb, Bates, Geronimo is a pretty nice set of players.  They ended up at Mizzou, Xavier, Maryland to good programs and good coaches.  We like the guys we got in return.  This will likely be an annual trend to an extent. 

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Understood... but the goal is not to get a 11-13 player, but to get a 5-8 player and then everyone gets bumped back a spot... with the exception of a guy like Leal, what coach is actively recruiting a player projected to fall that low on the depth chart? And then there's the "preferred walk-on" players - that, too, is a special kind of lunacy...

If you try to get all 4 and 4 star players you won't ever use all 13 scholarships.  Most teams don't use all 13 anyways especially teams like UK, Duke and KU or most of the top teams.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

As for your second point? I'm pretty sure that in the 'good old days' when Keith Smart and Dean Garrett parachuted into Bloomington, "developed" three year or more players like Todd Meier, Magnus Pelkowski, Steve Eyl, Kreigh Smith, and Brian Sloan thought to themselves; "Sh!t, I guess I'm not playing much this year after all."  And if the transfer rules didn't require them to sit out a year to play their senior year? It's a reasonable assumption that a few of them would have been gonzo.

Steve Eyl played plenty even after those two came here. The rest of those guys  were pretty much like Leal

6 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Steve Eyl played plenty even after those two came here. The rest of those guys  were pretty much like Leal

If I remember right, Kreigh Smith played some and Sloan got on the court because he was willing to screen for shooters.   But they weren’t the caliber of players as Garrett and Smart so they accepted their roles

4 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

If I remember right, Kreigh Smith played some and Sloan got on the court because he was willing to screen for shooters.   But they weren’t the caliber of players as Garrett and Smart so they accepted their roles

Sloan didn't play much until the 88 and 89 seasons. I have watched a little  of the old games from the then and the first only time Smith or Meier came in was at the end of the first half due to foul problems 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Kentucky Insiders convinced Reeves is coming back to UK now as things have changed.

Sounds like Hart or Hold at 12 if that’s the case.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Maybe.  Sounds like Kentucky is trying to form a collective (can't believe they didn't already have one).   But there are suitors out there....Indiana and Illinois among them.  Reeves can bide his time.

12 hours ago, Josh said:

I believe Purdoo has that term trademarked

Trademark? Don’t know for sure.

But after 3 straight losses to double-digit seeds - including the arguably WORST loss in the history of the NCAA Tournament - they certainly are monopolizing the term. 

16 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Kentucky Insiders convinced Reeves is coming back to UK now as things have changed.

Sounds like Hart or Hold at 12 if that’s the case.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yup. Reeves heading back to UK in a crazy turn of events. From what I gathered, Reeves did not want to go back but Cal must’ve backed the Brinks truck up with this “non-collective” collective.

1 hour ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

Yup. Reeves heading back to UK in a crazy turn of events. From what I gathered, Reeves did not want to go back but Cal must’ve backed the Brinks truck up with this “non-collective” collective.

So, are we in the 'roll with what we got' mode now?

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

So, are we in the 'roll with what we got' mode now?

Over the weekend Hart’s interviews told us a couple things:

1. He liked IU but IU was slow playing him pending other targets, and

2. He planned to decide very soon.

But he hasn’t announced yet, and the two targets everyone presumed IU had above him, Reeves and Wilcher, are now off the board (or were never on it, if the folk telling of the Reeves saga is true).

If he wanted to go to UK or Rutger, I think he’d have committed by now.