Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Over the weekend Hart’s interviews told us a couple things:
1. He liked IU but IU was slow playing him pending other targets, and
2. He planned to decide very soon.
But he hasn’t announced yet, and the two targets everyone presumed IU had above him, Reeves and Wilcher, are now off the board (or were never on it, if the folk telling of the Reeves saga is true).
If he wanted to go to UK or Rutger, I think he’d have committed by now.

Reeves drama still continuing from UK side. They are less confident today.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Reeves drama still continuing from UK side. They are less confident today.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Rupp Rafters makes Peegs look sane.  They've went through about eight cycles with Reeves from 'the sky is falling if he goes and Cal sucks' to 'Reeves is coming back and anyone who said he was leaving is a moron' and then 'Reeves isn't taking classes at Illinois State, that's just a rumor' then 'he's taking classes there but isn't leaving' then 'he's taking classes there and he's either headed to the Big Ten or Memphis and Cal sucks again'.  Now they posted a video from a talking head saying that 'Cal is holding him hostage since he can't go anywhere until he graduates'.  However, the overall sentiment is that they need him (if they think he's coming back) or they don't need him (if he's leaving).....but to a man, the posters think Cal sucks and he's outstayed his welcome.

Anyway, the Rupp Rafters board seem to read into the 'insiders' what they wanted to.  Jack Pilgram is the insider (Kentucky guy) who has provided the most info, and what he basically had been saying up until 48 hours ago was that Reeves was leaving.  Then yesterday he said that it was looking more likely that Reeves was coming back and then Cal had changed his mind on some things (in regards to a collective).  People starting running with this and said that Reeves coming back and would be announcing within 24 to 48 hours.  But I don't think those thoughts are coming from people in the know.  Could be wrong, maybe he announces tomorrow that he is coming back to UK, but Reeves can play the long game IMO and wait for UK to either up their NIL or wait to get his classes completed and go the grad transfer route late in the summer.  At that point, he is going to be THE most valuable player available.

Rupp Rafters makes Peegs look sane.  They've went through about eight cycles with Reeves from 'the sky is falling if he goes and Cal sucks' to 'Reeves is coming back and anyone who said he was leaving is a moron' and then 'Reeves isn't taking classes at Illinois State, that's just a rumor' then 'he's taking classes there but isn't leaving' then 'he's taking classes there and he's either headed to the Big Ten or Memphis and Cal sucks again'.  Now they posted a video from a talking head saying that 'Cal is holding him hostage since he can't go anywhere until he graduates'.  However, the overall sentiment is that they need him (if they think he's coming back) or they don't need him (if he's leaving).....but to a man, the posters think Cal sucks and he's outstayed his welcome.
Anyway, the Rupp Rafters board seem to read into the 'insiders' what they wanted to.  Jack Pilgram is the insider (Kentucky guy) who has provided the most info, and what he basically had been saying up until 48 hours ago was that Reeves was leaving.  Then yesterday he said that it was looking more likely that Reeves was coming back and then Cal had changed his mind on some things (in regards to a collective).  People starting running with this and said that Reeves coming back and would be announcing within 24 to 48 hours.  But I don't think those thoughts are coming from people in the know.  Could be wrong, maybe he announces tomorrow that he is coming back to UK, but Reeves can play the long game IMO and wait for UK to either up their NIL or wait to get his classes completed and go the grad transfer route late in the summer.  At that point, he is going to be THE most valuable player available.

My head hurts.

Denijay Harris (transfer from Southern Miss, committed to New Mexico State) is reopening his commitment.  Trilly Donovan indicating that he'll be going to Arkansas after they failed to land Grant Nelson.  Not a huge pick up;  averaged 8.9 points and 5.6 rebounds in 24 mpg at Southern Miss.

According to Rupp Rafters, Matt Jones (KSR -- Kentucky Sports radio -- host) did a twitter spaces and said in the last 24 hours, those involved in Kentucky basketball have gone silent on Reeves.  Monday, Jones was saying there was a lot of smoke indicating Reeves was coming back.  Now Jones is saying he has no idea if Reeves is coming back.

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

According to Rupp Rafters, Matt Jones (KSR -- Kentucky Sports radio -- host) did a twitter spaces and said in the last 24 hours, those involved in Kentucky basketball have gone silent on Reeves.  Monday, Jones was saying there was a lot of smoke indicating Reeves was coming back.  Now Jones is saying he has no idea if Reeves is coming back.

The toothless wonders are getting EXACTLY what they deserve.

They weren’t satisfied with Tubby ( who was a good coach and a class act) and forced him out. Thought they would be able to easily bring in Billy Donovan, but he had built Florida into a consistent national contender and had no desire to leave Gainesville.

They settled on Billy Clyde Gillespie - which was putting a square peg in a round hole. After his firing/resignation (never was fully clear because in his two years Gillespie had NOT signed a contract; was working from a “Memorandum of Understanding”), UK made an even bigger offer to Donovan.

And were turned down again.

Two other potential candidates - Tom Izzo and Jay Wright - were in the Final Four with Michigan State and Villanova, respectively, Sean Miller was an option, but he left Xavier for Arizona where playing in the PAC 12 was more appealing than the fishbowl of Lexington.

And so, after running out of options, UK settled on Calipari - even though he was coming off the Derrick Rose SAT scandal (and many of BBN thought - accurately - he was a slimeball).

But Cal had made a connection to William Wesley dating back to his UMASS days, and World Wide Wes delivered big. He signed a great class right off (John Wall, Boogie Cousins, among others) and got all the way to the Elite 8 his first season.

And Wildcat fans were hooked. Didn’t matter to them when Eric Bledsoe’s eligibility came into question (his transcript made Derrick Rose look like a Rhodes Scholar). Calipari had made them RELEVANT again, which means EVERYTHING to BBN. If signing their soul to the Devil was required to be a  National contender, so be it.

And now look. Everything I’ve ever said regarding Calipari - that UK would turn on him once he stopped going to Final Fours - is coming to fruition. They made their Deal with the Devil, and it’s now gone sour.

Somewhere, guaranteed, John Higgins is smiling his a$$ off . . .

50 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

This is an odd take though. I don't think it's a "loophole". The kid just did not enter the portal, right? So he'd just have to transfer like a normal player. So I'm not sure what "loophole" they are referring to unless I don't get what they are talking about? 

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This is an odd take though. I don't think it's a "loophole". The kid just did not enter the portal, right? So he'd just have to transfer like a normal player. So I'm not sure what "loophole" they are referring to unless I don't get what they are talking about? 

Exactly.

The only way Reeves appears to be able to transfer is as a graduate. So UNLESS Calipari/UK are doing something to prevent that from happening it’s hard to see how Reeves is being “held hostage”.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

This would have been Reeves’ second transfer, so he would need a waiver.  He wouldn’t need a waiver as a grad transfer, though.

I dislike Calipari but he can't "hold Reeves hostage." It wouldn't even make sense from a winning POV since Reeves would resent him if he did so which I can't imagine would be good for the team. 

Schools require a certain amount of credit hours to be taken at that institution for someone to be eligible to graduate with a degree from that school. This is typically around 60 credit hours, i.e. 4 semesters of full time attendance. Reeves has been at UK for 1 year so it's unlikely he had enough credit hours at UK to receive a degree from UK. There's nothing Cal can do about this. 

It's been reported that he's taking summer classes at his previous school, ISU. If so, thus makes sense for him wanting to transfer. He probably transferred his UK credits to ISU and is finishing up whichever classes he needs to graduate from ISU. He could then enter the portal as a great transfer. That's not too stay that is what he'll do, but it looks like at very least he's making that an option for himself. 

24 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I dislike Calipari but he can't "hold Reeves hostage." It wouldn't even make sense from a winning POV since Reeves would resent him if he did so which I can't imagine would be good for the team. 

Schools require a certain amount of credit hours to be taken at that institution for someone to be eligible to graduate with a degree from that school. This is typically around 60 credit hours, i.e. 4 semesters of full time attendance. Reeves has been at UK for 1 year so it's unlikely he had enough credit hours at UK to receive a degree from UK. There's nothing Cal can do about this. 

It's been reported that he's taking summer classes at his previous school, ISU. If so, thus makes sense for him wanting to transfer. He probably transferred his UK credits to ISU and is finishing up whichever classes he needs to graduate from ISU. He could then enter the portal as a great transfer. That's not too stay that is what he'll do, but it looks like at very least he's making that an option for himself. 

Coaches, and admins, can do sneaky, underhanded stuff to make things harder for transfers. Look at Shannon's issue with TT. He wanted to go to Michigan, but had to settle for Illinois because of the hurdles TT put up to make it harder for him to grt the credits he needed to attend Michigan. 

20 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

The craziness continues….UK insiders are no longer confident in Reeves returning. Saying he and his family are no longer answering Cal’s calls. Said they are leaning on him leaving now. What in the world is going on?!?!

Insane. Again, I hope IU can land him. Kid fits like a glove. Worried he may go to Michigan. I think he would get more opportunities there. I feel IU this year will be balanced. 

1 hour ago, ziggyiu said:

Coaches, and admins, can do sneaky, underhanded stuff to make things harder for transfers. Look at Shannon's issue with TT. He wanted to go to Michigan, but had to settle for Illinois because of the hurdles TT put up to make it harder for him to grt the credits he needed to attend Michigan. 

Yeah, they can at their own institution. Cal can't do anything about Reeves taking classes at ISU. To transfer credits, all he needs is a transcript. Again, he can't stop Reeves if Reeves graduated from ISU and wants to transfer.

As far as Shannon is concerned, I don't think the school itself did anything to stop him from taking classes he needed. I think the coach refused to let him use scholarship money to pay for them. That's really the only control coaches have now. 

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

This would have been Reeves’ second transfer, so he would need a waiver.  He wouldn’t need a waiver as a grad transfer, though.

Exactly, but there's no "loophole", those are just the rules. 

3 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Yeah, they can at their own institution. Cal can't do anything about Reeves taking classes at ISU. To transfer credits, all he needs is a transcript. Again, he can't stop Reeves if Reeves graduated from ISU and wants to transfer.

As far as Shannon is concerned, I don't think the school itself did anything to stop him from taking classes he needed. I think the coach refused to let him use scholarship money to pay for them. That's really the only control coaches have now. 

+1.  Shannon entered the transfer portal and was no longer committed to Texas Tech.  TT was under no obligation to allow him to take classes over the summer at TT so he could transfer to Michigan.  Michigan has an issue with their admissions department and other schools are under zero obligation to make sure that their players satisfy those conditions.

In terms of Reeves, there has been rumors connecting him to three Big Ten schools should he transfer -- Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana.  Admission to Michigan likely won't be an issue because he would be a grad transfer.  The issue has been with their undergraduate transfers.