Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

29 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Spot on.

Fully healthy, Newton can be a devastating defender. He’s not the scorer Calbert was, but his situation is so much like Cheaney’s where he is almost a complete unknown.

Although it is often repeated……Cheaney was not an almost completely unknown player. Hoopscoop, which was big back in the day, had him ranked 31st in the country and other services had him in their top 50. He was overshadowed by the burger boys in IU’s ‘89 class but the frequently stated narrative that he was a lowly ranked unknown recruit is not accurate.

9 hours ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Are recruits just not buying what Cal is selling anymore? 

I think he's past his peak as a coach. You see this sometimes with coaches once they get into their 60's. They just don't have the recruiting energy and charisma they once did, and it doesn't take long for players to notice. (and before someone mentions Woodson, I'm talking about coaches who have been doing this for decades)

He's gone from boasting about how he can get any guy he wants, whenever he wants, to practically begging the UK fanbase for patience and understanding. Izzo is kind of in the same boat. He used to just win all the time, now he does a lot more whining. Getting old sucks. 

7 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I think he's past his peak as a coach. You see this sometimes with coaches once they get into their 60's. They just don't have the recruiting energy and charisma they once did, and it doesn't take long for players to notice. (and before someone mentions Woodson, I'm talking about coaches who have been doing this for decades)

He's gone from boasting about how he can get any guy he wants, whenever he wants, to practically begging the UK fanbase for patience and understanding. Izzo is kind of in the same boat. He used to just win all the time, now he does a lot more whining. Getting old sucks. 

Disagree on Izzo.

Michigan St has been extremely successful consistently - very few times over his career can you say the Spartans have fielded a “bad” team. Can’t recall a time when Izzo has ever had his program in the disarray Kentucky has been the last 3 years.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

‘23 top 100ish SF Jordan Burks commits to UK after de-commiting from Ole Miss. So now they have 8. 

• Composite rated 172. 
  • Extremely skinny -- I've seen 6'9", 180.
  • Talented, but one of the reasons he is ranked low is supposedly because he is immature (even for an 18 year old). 

I other words, exactly what will not help Kentucky. It gets them closer to being able to play 5 v 5 in practice, but leaves them with six freshmen, and two sophs who averaged less than 10 mpg last year.  Mulcahy would be a home run for them, but I wonder if he's even interested in dealing with a team that will need to be babysat by him as a veteran player, when he would have to do so without any help from other veteran players.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  • Composite rated 172. 
  • Talented, but one of the reasons he is ranked low is supposedly because he is immature (even for an 18 year old). 

I other words, exactly what will not help Kentucky. It gets them closer to being able to play 5 v 5 in practice, but leaves them with six freshmen, and two sophs who averaged less than 10 mpg last year.  Mulcahy would be a home run for them, but I wonder if he's even interested in dealing with a team that will need to be babysat by him as a veteran player, when he would have to do so without any help from other veteran players.

Cal should probably hurry it up because they have games next month.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  • Composite rated 172. 

Given that Burks was a Kermit Davis recruit, if that’s an accurate eval of the kid then I’m guessing the “de-commitment” was Beard saying, “Yeah, no.” That couldn’t sound less like his kind of player.

I mean, holy crap. This commitment video is priceless. The assortment of hats. The Cliff Alexander style - "I'm snapping like a Gator ...naw" before he picks up the Kentucky hat. The random product placement.

The quotes:

• "I wanna play for the coach. He just happened to coach (points to UK hat on his head) at this school. So I be a Wildcat."
  • Question: "What's the best part of that historical campus?" Answer: "The practice facility is like, ten steps from where you lay your head. I'm not gonna lie. That's the best thing."

c0

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I mean, holy crap. This commitment video is priceless. The assortment of hats, the product placement.

The quotes:

• "I wanna play for the coach. He just happened to coach (points to UK hat on his head) at this school. So I be a Wildcat."
  • Question: "What's the best part of that historical campus?" Answer: "The practice facility is like, ten steps from where you lay your head. I'm not gonna lie. That's the best thing."

c0

I mean... Definitely not normal for Cal to be recruiting these kids... There's playing time up for grabs at arguably the biggest brand in the sport. No need to actually no anything about Kentucky.. they are losers anyways.

Trilly Donovan alluding to Wilcher committing to St. John's.

This would put St. John's over the scholarship limit.  I believe I had heard rumors at one point that there were potential issues with one of their transfer players -- I believe it was Daniss Jenkins, who transferred from Iona to St. John's.  Averaged 15.6 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.9 assists.  If it's not because of a transfer issue, bringing in a 14th scholarship player and then bumping someone else he recruited would be a pretty shitty thing to do this late in the game.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Trilly Donovan alluding to Wilcher committing to St. John's.

This would put St. John's over the scholarship limit.  I believe I had heard rumors at one point that there were potential issues with one of their transfer players -- I believe it was Daniss Jenkins, who transferred from Iona to St. John's.  Averaged 15.6 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.9 assists.  If it's not because of a transfer issue, bringing in a 14th scholarship player and then bumping someone else he recruited would be a pretty shitty thing to do this late in the game.

That would be so incredibly out of character for Pitino... :D 

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

That would be so incredibly out of character for Pitino... :D 

What's funny is that on St. John's message boards they just say 'the 14th scholarship will just come from NIL money and that player will be a walk on.'  Totally avoids two issues:  1.  The NCAA would love to find PItino liable for a violation and the university can't just promise a recruit NIL money instead of tuition 2.  You can't keep 14 guys happy....especially when 13 of those guys just transferred/committed to your school.

14th guys on a team simply aren't making much NIL money.

29 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

What's funny is that on St. John's message boards they just say 'the 14th scholarship will just come from NIL money and that player will be a walk on.'  Totally avoids two issues:  1.  The NCAA would love to find PItino liable for a violation and the university can't just promise a recruit NIL money instead of tuition 2.  You can't keep 14 guys happy....especially when 13 of those guys just transferred/committed to your school.

14th guys on a team simply aren't making much NIL money.

I'd argue it's hard to keep 11-13 happy let alone sometimes the guys 1-10.  Nowadays, I'm not sure how you keep 11-13 happy besides setting the expectations, but even then.  

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'd argue it's hard to keep 11-13 happy let alone sometimes the guys 1-10.  Nowadays, I'm not sure how you keep 11-13 happy besides setting the expectations, but even then.  

In a perfect world the way it works out is with:

• Injuries, 
  • A freshman or two that understand coming in that they will have little chance of seeing the floor (like Joey Hart if he comes to IU), or
  • A player or two like Anthony Leal who are thrilled simply to be at the program because of the university.

If our 11-13 this year are Leal, Hart, and either a not-ready health-wise Newton (I hope that's not it) or an unexpected injury (I hope that's not it either), we will have a deep and happy roster. If we are fortunate enough to have only Leal and Hart/empty spot unavailable? That 11th guy is likely to be a frustrated player.

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In a perfect world the way it works out is with:

• Injuries, 
  • A freshman or two that understand coming in that they will have little chance of seeing the floor (like Joey Hart if he comes to IU), or
  • A player or two like Anthony Leal who are thrilled simply to be at the program because of the university.

If our 11-13 this year are Leal, Hart, and either a not-ready health-wise Newton (I hope that's not it) or an unexpected injury (I hope that's not it either), we will have a deep and happy roster. If we are fortunate enough to have only Leal and Hart/empty spot unavailable? That 11th guy is likely to be a frustrated player.

Understood... but the goal is not to get a 11-13 player, but to get a 5-8 player and then everyone gets bumped back a spot... with the exception of a guy like Leal, what coach is actively recruiting a player projected to fall that low on the depth chart? And then there's the "preferred walk-on" players - that, too, is a special kind of lunacy...

36 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Understood... but the goal is not to get a 11-13 player, but to get a 5-8 player and then everyone gets bumped back a spot... with the exception of a guy like Leal, what coach is actively recruiting a player projected to fall that low on the depth chart? And then there's the "preferred walk-on" players - that, too, is a special kind of lunacy...

So, if we get Reeves and everyone is healthy and expecting/hoping to play except for Leal, who understands his role?

We will have two-four players who are frustrated and will strongly consider 'portaling' after the season. That's what motivated Lander, Duncomb, and Geronimo to transfer.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

+1.  The group that Pitino has put together is Soriano, Dingle and s bunch of guys.  We’ll see how Dingle translates, but so many of the players he’s put together are redundant.  Wilcher makes sense because he has four years but having 14 scholarship guys at this point doesn’t.  I’m thinking the Daniss Jenkins rumors might have some legs and there are transfer issues with him.  

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So, if we get Reeves and everyone is healthy and expecting/hoping to play except for Leal, who understands his role?

We will have two-four players who are frustrated and will strongly consider 'portaling' after the season. That's what motivated Lander, Duncomb, and Geronimo to transfer.

Yep. If Reeves will come and make IU better, you have to do it, despite hurt feelings and diminished opportunities for current players. 

I prefer the traditional dymnamic of building a team and developing players over time, but like much in our society that is a thing of the past. We prefer "right now" over what is "right", so guys will leave and a new crop will come in. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not. Let's hope IU has the right ingredients for a special season.