Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, Scotty R said:

I don't think I would want Girard because of his defense and shot selection 

The defense might be a question which is why I would put him next to X in the backcourt and get a couple wings that are dawgs.  He can really fill it up.

5 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

This board is all over the place on transfer targets.  I’m big on Girard and a couple athletic wings that can defend.  Don’t know anything about Reeves so don’t know if he is one of those are not. No on Ike.

Not a big fan of Girard, but I guess in a certain role he could be fantastic.

It seems like the one player that no one has anything bad to say about is Timberlake.

Geez…disagree on that one Doc!
Hes the lanky, fast stretch four we’ve all been wanting.
Him, Ike, Timberlake so far for me.

A stretch 4 that doesn’t shoot the 3 worth a hoot? And if we want to call it sample size, let’s look at free throw shooting, that’s a good example of a shooters potential. Oh wait.

I’m with you on Ike and Timberlake. Of Battle, Ledlum, Johnson, I think Johnson is third to me on that list. All have weaknesses.

I’ll dig deeper on Puffy and see what might be behind the curtain besides “potential”.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A stretch 4 that doesn’t shoot the 3 worth a hoot? And if we want to call it sample size, let’s look at free throw shooting, that’s a good example of a shooters potential. Oh wait.

I’m with you on Ike and Timberlake. Of Battle, Ledlum, Johnson, I think Johnson is third to me on that list. All have weaknesses.

I’ll dig deeper on Puffy and see what might be behind the curtain besides “potential”.

The one and only thing Puff and Reeves have  so far is potential.

Staff evaluations are a very big deal.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The one and only thing Puff and Reeves have  so far is potential.

Staff evaluations are a very big deal.

And role. If Reeves is projected as the 7th man- an off the bench energy guy and defensive stopper- I'd feel a whole lot better about that, than if he's supposed to be replacing Miller Kopp's starter minutes. 

56 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Is the Reeves kid from Florida a defensive savant? His offensive numbers are extremely mediocre at best. One of these is Reeves, one is Tamar Bates. Draw your own conclusions.

KR.thumb.jpg.680eab2a6e8bd19d601cd92389f87a16.jpg

TR.jpg

I posted his defensive rating on this board, he wouldn't have been one of our better defenders.

I don't want Reeves, not even a little bit.  I think someone should get a "random" drug test for apparently making an effort to get him.  Athleticism and potential doesn't mean they are or will be good.  We need more athleticism but those athletes need to be actually be able to play; they can't open the floor if they can't throw it in the ocean.

27 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

FWIW, Timberlake and Ledlum are the ones that we know IU has had at-home visits with.  I thought I read we did so as well with Reeves but could be wrong.  The others we have heard we had contact with but nothing beyond that.  Think a lot of what becomes available is just what recruits share.  We don't know the degree of contact otherwise.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

I posted his defensive rating on this board, he wouldn't have been one of our better defenders.

I don't want Reeves, not even a little bit.  I think someone should get a "random" drug test for apparently making an effort to get him.  Athleticism and potential doesn't mean they are or will be good.  We need more athleticism but those athletes need to be actually be able to play; they can't open the floor if they can't throw it in the ocean.

Reeves isn't high on my list either, but I would say that defensive ratings aren't a real exact science at the college level.  The only defensive stats available are steals, blocks, and maybe defensive rebounds. The numbers used to generate those defensive ratings would say that Jordan Geronimo was our second best defender among those players who played 50 minutes+.

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

Smart was MOP in the Finals and on the all Tournament team. Knight certainly wasn’t above using the bench as a motivator and, of course, Smart almost certainly played on a better team than what XJ will next year.   

Somewhat of an interesting comparison, but I certainly don’t think you could say XJ is hands down a better player than Smart. There’s a real good chance that a player like XJ couldn’t get off the bench for a Knight coached team.  

As far as Reneau goes, I think he has a little work to do to be as good as Dean Garrett next year.   

We need some talent. 

More than a little,and will never be the defensive presence Dean was.

Still going to be pretty good.

15 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

A freshman Lyndon Jones put Smart on the bench, and Lyndon was just okay at IU.

Keith Smart averaged 13.2 points a game his last year IU(1987-88), good enough for 3rd in team scoring behind Dean Garrett and Jay Edwards. Lyndon Jones averaged just 4.9 points per game.  Lyndon was just OK and Smart was a lot better than Jones.

12 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Keith Smart averaged 13.2 points a game his last year IU(1987-88), good enough for 3rd in team scoring behind Dean Garrett and Jay Edwards. Lyndon Jones averaged just 4.9 points per game.  Lyndon was just OK and Smart was a lot better than Jones.

The question wasn't whether Lyndon Jones was better than Keith Smart. He wasn't. My point was that for about 1/3 of Smart's senior season RMK Smart got benched. Xavier Johnson has been better than that.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Smart got benched

Nobody scores 13 points a game from the bench. Jones may have started (some games) but Smart played at the key times and helped IU win games. It was not like today. Knight used the bench in creative ways. The adage that it doesn't matter who starts, only who finishes was applicable to that situation.

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The question wasn't whether Lyndon Jones was better than Keith Smart. He wasn't. My point was that for about 1/3 of Smart's senior season RMK Smart got benched. Xavier Johnson has been better than that.

I'd say given Johnson's temper control and inconsistencies... He'd get benched too.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

This tells me we are going to have at least two more transfers out. Bates and Geronimo is my guess. So far we know we would take Ledium, Timberlake, Sparks, plus a couple others

Howd the talks with battle go