Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This tells me we are going to have at least two more transfers out

There are five openings already with the four starters plus Duncomb. Casting the net wide doesn't suggest anything about additional openings. Competition for these players will be stiff.  Contacting players, even having visits, doesn't mean IU will land any of them (though hopefully the best among them will choose IU). IU should be contacting a large number of players even if the number of openings is five. It is hard to imagine many players will transfer to another school and not be able to start.

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This tells me we are going to have at least two more transfers out. Bates and Geronimo is my guess. So far we know we would take Ledium, Timberlake, Sparks, plus a couple others

how do you see Sparks fitting in assuming we have 4 to 6 total transfers?  Too early to tell I assume?  An energy guy off the bench for 8-10 minutes?  

3 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

There are five openings already with the four starters plus Duncomb. Casting the net wide doesn't suggest anything about additional openings. Competition for these players will be stiff.  Contacting players, even having visits, doesn't mean IU will land any of them (though hopefully the best among them will choose IU). IU should be contacting a large number of players even if the number of openings is five. It is hard to imagine many players will transfer to another school and not be able to start.

I would agree we need a wider net but also remember there will be a lot more people entering the portal this week. 

18 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

how do you see Sparks fitting in assuming we have 4 to 6 total transfers?  Too early to tell I assume?  An energy guy off the bench for 8-10 minutes?  

4-6 spots to fill, and probably closer to six means that Payton Sparks would be an excellent addition as someone who can compete for a rotation role imo.

I saw this video of him last year; not any on-court insight, but he seems like a young man who would represent us well:

Whether you call them 'dogs' or not, I hope that in using the portal we bring in more guys like X (attitude / on-court demeanor) --and just look at the teams still standing in the tourney, we need athleticism, length, quickness and toughness. Yes, we also need a shooter or two, but get the wing upgraded and guys who rebound, block and get out on the run.

My question with Graham or Sparks would be how they fit.  We don't really want to play 2 posts so would Sparks be okay coming off the bench? I'm assuming Reneau develops enough to start.

I mentioned Graham because we've reached out but I don't see it happening.

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think he's a starter but could be a nice bench piece. 

Ultimately, was Ball St. sort of a "JUCO" for him? Maybe he wants to swim with the bigger fish. I can't blame him.

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This tells me we are going to have at least two more transfers out. Bates and Geronimo is my guess. So far we know we would take Ledium, Timberlake, Sparks, plus a couple others

Jamison Battle please. Anyone know what rabjohns reported on Woody's meeting with him?

I must be missing something (not sarcasm.)

Sparks averaged 13ppg/8reb in 29 mins for a decent MAC team. Why would he come to IU expecting a minor/bench role? Is the thought that he is gonna back up Reneau at the 5? Cuz Malik is a fouling machine, so his back-up will likely play more than him. 

I know it's early in this process, but do some of you truly believe he's only looking for spot mins? He seems like a legit D1 center, so if he is IU's back-up next season, my expectations go way up.  

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I must be missing something (not sarcasm.)

Sparks averaged 13ppg/8reb in 29 mins for a decent MAC team. Why would he come to IU expecting a minor/bench role? Is the thought that he is gonna back up Reneau at the 5? Cuz Malik is a fouling machine, so his back-up will likely play more than him. 

I know it's early in this process, but do some of you truly believe he's only looking for spot mins? He seems like a legit D1 center, so if he is IU's back-up next season, my expectations go way up.  

Oh I think he's open to competing with the roster for starter minutes. I just think we're looking for bigger pieces of the puzzle then him. But I think he's a good fit and am happy we will probably land him. 

Sayeth Payton Sparks:

“In deciding in a school, I want to go somewhere I can make a big impact right away. I want to play, be trusted and make a big impact whatever that is.”

“For my goals, I just want to win wherever I’m at. I’m not worried about individual accomplishments, I just want to go to the next place and win.”

Gets to the foul line a ton —almost ten per 40 minutes. Doesn’t make enough from there, though he was decent as a freshman.

Passes it well

Defends without fouling

No distance shooting 

Highly efficient in the post