Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

Booger’s right and good for him not towing the ESPN line here. Here’s the theoretical I want someone to ask: Suppose instead of winning last night 16-6, FSU’s offense had played better and their defense didn’t play as well and they won 36-26. Same 10 point win over the same team. Would they have then put them in because their offense was better? The answer is of course not. Bama was getting in and short of FSU winning that game by 50, they weren’t getting in. 

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Booger’s right and good for him not towing the ESPN line here. Here’s the theoretical I want someone to ask: Suppose instead of winning last night 16-6, FSU’s offense had played better and their defense didn’t play as well and they won 36-26. Same 10 point win over the same team. Would they have then put them in because their offense was better? The answer is of course not. Bama was getting in and short of FSU winning that game by 50, they weren’t getting in. 

Why does the argument have to be that FSU doesn't have its starting QB? Why can't it be: Hey, these guys won two games -- including a conference championship game -- with their No. 2 and 3 quarterbacks? To me, that shows a team's strength and depth. 

So I’m probably missing something because I’m not pretending to know everything about college football but how does FSU get left out?

Is this is a joke or a rough draft or something?  They won all their games.  I understand their starting QB got hurt at the end of the season but they still won all those games he didn’t play.  What more were they supposed to do? Alabama lost a game.

12 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Why does the argument have to be that FSU doesn't have its starting QB? Why can't it be: Hey, these guys won two games -- including a conference championship game -- with their No. 2 and 3 quarterbacks? To me, that shows a team's strength and depth. 

I get the QB argument if I thought it was sincere. But it’s not. If Milroe had broken his ankle on the last play against Georgia I’m 100% sure that Bama would still be in. Bottom line: they’re never leaving the SEC out. Ever. 

You’ve got a 12-1 SEC champion with the 5th best strength of schedule who just dethroned the undefeated 2x defending champ versus the undefeated ACC champion with the 55th best strength of schedule and a third-string quarterback. One team being 13-0 doesn’t automatically mean they’re better than the 12-1 team. It stinks for FSU, but I don’t think an argument can be made that they’re one of the four best teams in the country. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You’ve got a 12-1 SEC champion with the 5th best strength of schedule who just dethroned the undefeated 2x defending champ versus the undefeated ACC champion with the 55th best strength of schedule and a third-string quarterback. One team being 13-0 doesn’t automatically mean they’re better than the 12-1 team. It stinks for FSU, but I don’t think an argument can be made that they’re one of the four best teams in the country. 

I don’t disagree. But they’re also an undefeated P5 champ that beat 2 SEC teams, including a road win with a backup QB. So maybe there’s no definitive argument they’re a top 4 team, but there’s also no definitive argument that they’re not. And that’s everything that’s wrong with “best” vs “most deserving”. Most deserving can be objectified somewhat and best is whatever anyone wants to make it. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It doesn’t matter.  OSU is probably one of the top four best teams but they didn’t get in.  Alabama should not be in over FSU.

FSU coach -- understandably -- not a happy man ... 

Statement from FSU coach Mike Norvell on the CFP's decision

"I am disgusted and infuriated with the committee’s decision today to have what was earned on the field taken away because a small group of people decided they knew better than the results of the games. What is the point of playing games? Do you tell players it is okay to quit if someone goes down? Do you not play a senior on Senior Day for fear of injury? Where is the motivation to schedule challenging non-conference games? We are not only an undefeated P5 conference champion, but we also played two P5 non-conference games away from home and won both of them. I don’t understand how we are supposed to think this is an acceptable way to evaluate a team.

"I’m hurting for our players who have displayed a tremendous amount of resilience and response this season. What happened today goes against everything that is true and right in college football. A team that overcame tremendous adversity and found a way to win doing whatever it took on the field was cheated today. It’s a sad day for college football.

"I’m proud of the work we have put in and the players I have the privilege to coach. We have one more opportunity to define this 2023 team in the Orange Bowl, and I believe in how our team will respond."