Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2024 Hoosier Hysteria - Friday, October 18, 2024

Love what people are saying about Tucker! He looked smart as hell during the McDAA game. Really says a lot about playing USA ball vs AAU. Him being an impact player is huge for this team. I hope we get Jakai healthy and goin at some point this season.

Could be that either the production is lacking or the fact that I'm getting older that makes that whole thing boring to me. Just wasn't that interesting really

It’s both. I think we could definitely improve the product but the scrimmage is great to watch for the diehards.

We don’t have the cool UK floor. I think our player intros were underproduced and not hype enough. Mens 3 point comp would be fun. A slam dunk type event is always fun.

But age certainly plays a factor in the excitement level.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, IndianaSconnie90 said:

Could be that either the production is lacking or the fact that I'm getting older that makes that whole thing boring to me. Just wasn't that interesting really

I think it takes a highly ranked preseason team with huge expectations to really bring juice to this type of event. There hasn’t been one with real buzz since 2012-13 when they had to turn people away at the door. 

The production also stinks and has really gone downhill. 

54 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Hatton looked better than I expected offensively. He's pretty mobile. Ballo is an absolute load underneath as expected. Goode showed why we brought him here with back to back threes.

The exhibition began as starters vs reserves, and then they swapped some of the players halfway through. The reserves "won" the first segment of the scrimmage by 1 point.

It was interesting that Ballo and Reneau remained on the same team after the switch. I believe one of the keys to this season is how successfully Woodson staggers their minutes and gets Mgbako at the 4.

Sounds like Woodson may not want to stagger those minutes or have Mgbako at the 4 any more than he has to. Hope he’s more flexible than that, but I guess we’ll see soon enough.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Was the scrimmage scheduled for two halves but they stopped at one due to lack of crowd?

There was no second half, but some time got added back onto the clock at one of the stoppages. Probably 15-ish minutes of game time total.

1 minute ago, mike vannice said:

Just watched the YOUTUBE video. Pretty underwhelming. Lots of missed shots and Rice and Carlyle did nothing. Could be a long year.

Rice was pretty passive, didn't do much positive or negative. But the good news is we can evaluate him based on 35 games as a key player for a tourney team last year, not just from 15 minutes of a scrimmage. 

Because I'm that guy, here are the stats I totaled for the scrimmage.  Will need to hit threes at a better rate but was good to see us at least shooting them more.

FG FGA 3PT 3PTA FT FTA F R A ST BS TO PTS
1 Rice 2 3 1 1 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 1 5
2 Cupps 1 2 0 1 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 2
3 Leal 1 3 0 2 0 0 2 5 2 0 0 1 2
5 Reneau 2 4 0 0 2 2 0 4 3 0 0 1 6
8 Tucker 2 6 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 4
9 Carlyle 1 4 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
10 Goode 2 9 2 6 0 0 1 5 1 1 0 1 6
11 Ballo 5 7 0 0 1 1 1 5 0 1 1 0 11
12 Hatton 3 6 0 0 2 2 2 4 1 0 0 1 8
21 Mgbako 4 9 2 5 2 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 12
  TOTALS 23 53 5 19 7 7 6 30 10 2 1 5 58

Was surprised that white kept up so well with red. Cupps, Leal, Goode, Tucker and Hatton played pretty well together. They looked to have better chemistry. Might just be having the older guys in Leal, Goode and Hatton. Overall, looked okay. Nothing to get insanely excited about right now.

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I thought they looked solid.

Rice didn’t force anything but you can tell he has speed, control, and flair.

Carlyle just didn’t impress. Not enough to judge but Tucker and Gallo gonna eat a lot of those minutes I hope. No shot he’s and NBA guy.

Tucker, oh he’s gonna be a good one. Plays smart. Moves. Can hit a tough shot.

Ballo is just a big human. He’s gonna serve us well.

Hatton was the biggest surprise for me. I really liked how he played. Crafty, agile.

Goode took too many off balance 3s but he’s gonna hit open shots for us.

Cupps looks about the same to me to be honest. Minutes should be limited.

Leal is just underrated. He plays smart and hard. Can really defend. Liked him over Carlyle by a wide margin tonight.

Mgbako still isn’t the most agile but he’s gonna score a bunch.

Reneau is probably still underrated. He can do a bit of everything. Looks great bringing the ball up.

I mostly saw exactly what I expected. Hatton better than expected and Carlyle slighter than I expected. Too early to judge but I’d go Leal, Galloway over Cupps/Carlyle in the guard race even though I know Carlyle is gonna get major run.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Always keep in mind the offense will look its worst against us, usually. Players know the plays/movements and will tend to cheat them….overall I saw a lot of good things

27 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

Sitting watching last night. My 15 yr son says, I really think we would be a lot better playing small ball lineup. Ballo is good, just clogs things up. Can’t say I didn’t agree with that.

I think by the end of the year you’re going to be very happy we have Ballo…

Would love to hear about it in detail after HH!
The meet and greet was very well organized. The players were all very nice. The best part was for 25 per ticket we got four of the big calendars signed and my kids got to see their heros and interact up close. Then we got color coded wrist bands that put us at court level seats. Two of the bands were different color than the rest which luckily I put on the 2 oldest girls and that put them right behind the women's bench for a even more upclose experience. If that happened to me when I was a kid it would probably still be the highlight of my life! Lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Always keep in mind the offense will look its worst against us, usually. Players know the plays/movements and will tend to cheat them….overall I saw a lot of good things

I don’t know about that. It was a free-play scrimmage and some guys utilized timely cuts, spacing, PNR actions. We didn’t run any offense just general principles. Not a single play was ran. The movements were basic, some better than others.

I did not some boxing out on rebounds, that was encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app