Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Reminder we're now in a recruiting dead period through April 11.  No in-person on or off campus contact so recruiting activity limited to texting, cell phone, other forms of social media.

Do zoom or teams meetings count? Dead period is so strange to me in the current era of video chat. 

55 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

If Tucker starts, IU is in trouble. This class is really weak. 

Tucker’s play isn’t about the other players ranked in the class.  There are underrated and overrated players in every class.  There are quality 50th ranked players in bad classes and there are poor 10th ranked players in good classes.

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Understood, but I was responding to the "IU got 2" comment. I can't imagine adding 3 portal guards to the 4 returners (Cupps, Galloway, Leal & Newton.) Unless someone else is leaving or Woodson is turning 180° from his previous MO. 

I’m speculating here, I bet Woodson is out to prove he can be flexible and coach a different style, I bet he turns a 180

Curious little note if IU should end up with Carlyle and Rice: when Ya got here and IU was offering every kid with a pulse in Georgia it looked like that was going to be a cornerstone piece of their recruiting strategy. Of course that’s not really how it’s shaken out. But, Carlyle(Milton HS before going to OTE), Rice(Covington East) and Jakai Newton(Newton HS) are not only Atlanta area kids, they’re from the same CONFERENCE. The talent down there is just nuts.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

Who is RTZ?

Road to Zion - Brings some info that he has access to(not sure where/who he gets it from to be honest but as usual some are right, and some are wrong).  

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Curious little note if IU should end up with Carlyle and Rice: when Ya got here and IU was offering every kid with a pulse in Georgia it looked like that was going to be a cornerstone piece of their recruiting strategy. Of course that’s not really how it’s shaken out. But, Carlyle(Milton HS before going to OTE), Rice(Covington East) and Jakai Newton(Newton HS) are not only Atlanta area kids, they’re from the same CONFERENCE. The talent down there is just nuts.

If Rice and Carlyle are a preview of what Newton could be that gets me even more excited.  

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Who is RTZ?

He's a poster on another board that gives "done deal" predictions at times. Then he gets salty when the "done deal" was not done.

Hope he's right about Rice (and Carlyle too, but especially Rice)!

Biggest thing I like about potentially adding Rice and Carlyle: 3 years of elgibility left. Can't do this every year with replacing more than half your roster. I know I've seen Carlyle on NBA mocks for next season. I also think the two of them will improve from 3. Based on his assist to turnover ratio I assume Carlyle is better at the 2 spot. 

7 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Road to Zion - Brings some info that he has access to(not sure where/who he gets it from to be honest but as usual some are right, and some are wrong).  

He throws things at the wall and hopes they stick to make it seem like he has inside scoop. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to him. 

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Rice and Carlyle are a preview of what Newton could be that gets me even more excited.  

Strictly a lottery ticket at this point, but I’m holding on to that one for dear life. And if you haven’t watched it, there’s a YouTube video from just a few weeks before he got hurt of his team(Atlanta Express) playing Bronny James’s team(Strive for Greatness) on ESPN. You could not watch that without inescapably concluding that Newton was a better prospect. No disrespect towards Bronny, Newton was just a Guy.

2 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Frankly, I don't see the importance as much on being a starter. To me, the number of minutes played, and whether a guy is on the floor in crunch time are more important than being in the starting 5.

This all day! 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Swing inn was my favorite before they closed. Now I switch between Cafe Pizzeria, Nicks and Pizza Pantry in Ellettsville

Love the Smiling Teeth there in Bloomington.  Their calzones are amazing!!

2 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Frankly, I don't see the importance as much on being a starter. To me, the number of minutes played, and whether a guy is on the floor in crunch time are more important than being in the starting 5.

This is the correct answer. But kids today think differently. They would rather start than do anything. But Yes it's not who starts but who finishes 

1 minute ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Love the Smiling Teeth there in Bloomington.  Their calzones are amazing!!

Yes, we tend to use the West side one a lot. It's very good

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'm not 100% Tucker starts like I usually am.  Unless Malik is our starting 5 and I don't really see Woodson doing that either.  Reneau was 25-40 recruit who didn't start.  It's possible, but not as obvious as it usually is.  Not uncommon for Kentucky or Duke to have 5 star recruits not start.  It's okay to get to that point.  A flexible coach will adjust and give more minutes relative to court success.  Woodson, does seem to have semi-pre-determined starting 5's.  

IF we add 2 starting quality guards and a starting quality 5.  Mgbako and Reneau will start so, if we add 3 starting quality additions, 2 of that that group/Tucker/Galloway will come off the bench.  

Tucker should start but watching the McDonalds all American game he looked smaller than those top 10 players in strength/muscle.  He definitely needs to hit the weight room without affecting that 3 point stroke!