Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

8 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

This. Folks complained early last year MM needed to be removed from the starting lineup and I said no way that’s happening. You do that, you don’t get anymore five stars. The same applies to Tucker. He will start. 100%. 

Well there goes any budding hope I had for next season. :( 

I guess I'll just focus on IU Baseball now....ugh, I mean take up gardening.  

PG Rice

SF/Wing - Tucker

PF/Wing -Mgbako

C/PF - Reneau 

Room for 1 more starter. My preference is a SG/Wing and play small ball. But get a rim protector to come off the bench and spell Reneau when he gets his quick fouls.

I’m not sold on Gallo being a starter next year. People keep saying it but I won’t believe it until I see it. He wants to win and will be the 6th man on a winning team imo. 

Just now, Feathery said:

PG Rice

SF/Wing - Tucker

PF/Wing -Mgbako

C/PF - Reneau 

Room for 1 more starter. My preference is a SG/Wing and play small ball. But get a rim protector to come off the bench and spell Reneau when he gets his quick fouls.

I’m not sold on Gallo being a starter next year. People keep saying it but I won’t believe it until I see it. He wants to win and will be the 6th man on a winning team imo. 

I believe TG starts before Tucker. I don't see that MM, MR, and Tucker can play long stretches together, at least at the beginning of the season. You'd have be crazy dynamic at the 1+2 to make that work. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I believe TG starts before Tucker. I don't see that MM, MR, and Tucker can play long stretches together, at least at the beginning of the season. You'd have be crazy dynamic at the 1+2 to make that work. 

Get the right 2 guard to go with Rice and you will have that dynamic. I think taking a big and benching Tucker and starting Gallo is setting us up for another miserable season. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'm not 100% Tucker starts like I usually am.  Unless Malik is our starting 5 and I don't really see Woodson doing that either.  Reneau was 25-40 recruit who didn't start.  It's possible, but not as obvious as it usually is.  Not uncommon for Kentucky or Duke to have 5 star recruits not start.  It's okay to get to that point.  A flexible coach will adjust and give more minutes relative to court success.  Woodson, does seem to have semi-pre-determined starting 5's.  

IF we add 2 starting quality guards and a starting quality 5.  Mgbako and Reneau will start so, if we add 3 starting quality additions, 2 of that that group/Tucker/Galloway will come off the bench.  

Maybe maybe... we get Carlyle+Rice... 

those 2, plus Tucker, MM, and MR? Idk. That's the only way I see Tucker being able to start-- if got two guards THAT dynamic. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

PG Rice

SF/Wing - Tucker

PF/Wing -Mgbako

C/PF - Reneau 

I agree. I still want gallo playing 25 mpg. He just doesn’t fit with the starters we have. I will still go back to my favorite lineups from 2 years ago when we went smaller w gallo at the 3. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Get the right 2 guard to go with Rice and you will have that dynamic. I think taking a big and benching Tucker and starting Gallo is setting us up for another miserable season. 

Ehh.. I don't. 

I would hit the floor with excitement if we went--- Rice, Carlyle, TG, MM, and MR--- bring rim defender and Tucker off the bench. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Ehh.. I don't. 

I would hit the floor with excitement if we went--- Rice, Carlyle, TG, MM, and MR--- bring rim defender and Tucker off the bench. 

I can get behind that. I was thinking you were looking at Rice, Gallo, MM, MR, and a Center to start. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Maybe maybe... we get Carlyle+Rice... 

those 2, plus Tucker, MM, and MR? Idk. That's the only way I see Tucker being able to start-- if got two guards THAT dynamic. 

Shooting will remain a GIGANTIC question mark as Rice and Carlyle are not proven shooters.  If anything, they aren't great/good shooters so as impressive as we can make it seem, and there is some good quality there, Shooting and spacing would worry me greatly. 

Players can improve with shooting and that is what we would be hoping for, but sometimes shooters are just shooters and I want that.   

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Honestly I’d go and offer johnell Davis 1 million or whatever in the portal. You don’t need 11 guys to all play. If you get 8 really good ones then you’ll have a chance

Yeah.  I'm the same.  Top 8 needs to be strong.  9-11 should be situational talents.  Or if you are a big dog they are just younger versions of our top 8.  12-13 open for developmental or whatever you need them to be.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Shooting will remain a GIGANTIC question mark as Rice and Carlyle are not proven shooters.  If anything, they aren't great/good shooters so as impressive as we can make it seem, and there is some good quality there, Shooting and spacing would worry me greatly. 

Players can improve with shooting and that is what we would be hoping for, but sometimes shooters are just shooters and I want that.   

Spacing wouldn't worry me a lick. Reasonable to be a little worried about shooting, but our pace should be excellent, in return, that should create more good opps, and hopefully more transition buckets/opps BECAUSE of our pace/multiple ball handlers. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Let's hope so.

Myles Rice is the single best IU portal recruit IMO.

1. Fantastic production as a freshman - 1st team All-PAC12 and PAC12 freshman of the year.
  2. Three years left but already older
  3. Leader and culture setter - a young man that can overcome Hodgkin's and lead a team? Can lead any team.
  4. The #1 position of need - can give him the keys for multiple years

Personally? I don't wanna hear about the "how much did he cost?" NIL is a part of every program. For me, it's not how much a  kid makes; it's whether we are using our NIL wisely. Myles Rice would be a shining example of using NIL wisely.

I don't care how much we spend as long as it is on players that fit a need and fill a hole in our roster. You absolutely make a high-major FOTY who fills a very specific need on this roster a massive offer. I had not watched any of his highlights until recently and this is a must get, and that is before the personal story.

Wondering your opinion on if this would have any affect on Conwell? The thought of those two in the backcourt is beyond exciting to me. Just wonder if the skill set overlap would prevent one or the other. If Woody landed Rice and Conwell, I would go on record as Mike Woodson: Cookin'

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I don't care how much we spend as long as it is on players that fit a need and fill a hole in our roster. You absolutely make a high-major FOTY who fills a very specific need on this roster a massive offer. I had not watched any of his highlights until recently and this is a must get, and that is before the personal story.

Wondering your opinion on if this would have any affect on Conwell? The thought of those two in the backcourt is beyond exciting to me. Just wonder if the skill set overlap would prevent one or the other. If Woody landed Rice and Conwell, I would go on record as Mike Woodson: Cookin'

I think Conwell is more of a two and knock down shooter but honestly I love having two players on the floor that can handle the ball. Makes the offense more versatile and much easier to get out and run

image.thumb.png.d3b85856b943e365e6a5056a691dcc73.png

image.thumb.png.19eb7c57306f0923eceb15fb605159bd.png

image.thumb.png.daf697266b19216dcc3a846cff2b1cac.png

Bart torvik player pages for Rice, JHS, and X. Although Rice has the lowest 3% of the three, he appears to be much more well rounded statistically than JHS and X. And again, only a sophomore eligibility wise.