Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't really think Tucker will start. He's 17 years old. 

5* Top 20 players who were going to forego college to get paid in a minor league before it folded are not agreeing to come to a school and come off the bench.  I am not saying he should start, I am saying he will start.

Myles Rice is a player that IU needs and I hope gets. How did he ever end up at Wazzu? I've been to football games there so I know a little about the area. I watched Wazzu when Sampson coached there. IMO a great get and hopefully one that could stay at least two and hopefully three years. Another day to keep refreshing Twitter (X) and BTB all day for an announcement. It's hard being retired and colder than you like outside. LOL

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

5* Top 20 players who were going to forego college to get paid in a minor league before it folded are not agreeing to come to a school and come off the bench.  I am not saying he should start, I am saying he will start.

Mmmm... he's still getting paid. 

I just don't a way in the world we told a 17 yr old he has solidified himself as a starter, before we've ever seen him practice against the rest of our team. 

1 minute ago, IH8PU said:

Myles Rice is a player that IU needs and I hope gets. How did he ever end up at Wazzu? I've been to football games there so I know a little about the area. I watched Wazzu when Sampson coached there. IMO a great get and hopefully one that could stay at least two and hopefully three years. Another day to keep refreshing Twitter (X) and BTB all day for an announcement. It's hard being retired and colder than you like outside. LOL

He got recruited strictly by film during Covid I believe.  Then red-shirted a year.  Waited his turn.

2 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

It was during COVID with no in-person visits. They were the only P5 program that offered. Their coach was mega-insistent without having to meet him in person.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't a way in the world we told a 17 yr old he has solidified himself as a starter, before we've ever seen him practice against the rest of our team. 

I am thinking it was more along the lines of Woodson telling him with effort and his coaching, NBA background he can get him to B1G Freshman of the Year, use him like Schifinio with his proof with improvement in MbBako, Reneau. But ... he will have to earn his starting spot. As much as I want a different coach you cannot deny the fact back to back FOYs, last two centers to the NBA .... stressing more individual development than team results. Of course they would show Tucker how he fits in the IU offense (I know I know) ... Yet he is 18 this summer, needs strength and a summer of getting pounded B1G style in pickup games. I don't care how he is ranked and Mickey D's stuff ... he is no way a one and done player.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I usually like to have a Strom on Friday so not sure I'll eat rice today. But hopefully everyone is celebrating Rice here soon

Cafe Pizzeria?  

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think you are describing what I would label as a healthy program.  I don't think we are that.  There have just been comments from the kid and his Dad that I have seen in the press that lead me to believe that he expects to be on the court and pushing to be in the 25 draft. 

Mgbako isn't a natural 3 IMO but we offered him that and had gone so far as to play Sparks when Ware went down as opposed to sliding him to the 4 and Reneau to the 5.  I think Woodson makes deals to get guys here and it takes an act of God to knock him off of that...and sometimes even those don't change how he does things.

If I were a betting man (I'm not) and the Rice rumor is true, I would bet that Rice, Tucker, Mgbako, and Reneau are all starters right now.  The only question left is whether Woodson abandons his system and allows (forces) some guys to play their more natural college positions.

ETA: I guess we will find out.  I just don't have much faith in this staff at the moment.

There are reasonable arguments as to why Tucker would be expected to start (pedigree, desire to get to league sooner). But there are also reasonable arguments as to why that may be unlikely (age, roster construction).

Unless you are connected to the staff or player, all we can really do is guess at this point. 

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think you are describing what I would label as a healthy program.  I don't think we are that.  There have just been comments from the kid and his Dad that I have seen in the press that lead me to believe that he expects to be on the court and pushing to be in the 25 draft. 

Mgbako isn't a natural 3 IMO but we offered him that and had gone so far as to play Sparks when Ware went down as opposed to sliding him to the 4 and Reneau to the 5.  I think Woodson makes deals to get guys here and it takes an act of God to knock him off of that...and sometimes even those don't change how he does things.

If I were a betting man (I'm not) and the Rice rumor is true, I would bet that Rice, Tucker, Mgbako, and Reneau are all starters right now.  The only question left is whether Woodson abandons his system and allows (forces) some guys to play their more natural college positions.

This says it all ... no guess work ... thanks for the dumpster dive for information, really.

I'm not 100% Tucker starts like I usually am.  Unless Malik is our starting 5 and I don't really see Woodson doing that either.  Reneau was 25-40 recruit who didn't start.  It's possible, but not as obvious as it usually is.  Not uncommon for Kentucky or Duke to have 5 star recruits not start.  It's okay to get to that point.  A flexible coach will adjust and give more minutes relative to court success.  Woodson, does seem to have semi-pre-determined starting 5's.  

IF we add 2 starting quality guards and a starting quality 5.  Mgbako and Reneau will start so, if we add 3 starting quality additions, 2 of that that group/Tucker/Galloway will come off the bench.