Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Just now, Feathery said:

I don’t have any expectations for him other than being an athlete with good length. He won’t average more than 10 ppg. But can he rebound and defend. 

What position is he going to defend in the B10? We all know what MM was like on the defensive end last year and he averaged 12 pts a game. I don’t think Tucker is close to what MM was this time last year. I guess we will find out…

19 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

That is not a Stromboli. 

Really??? That is what they have given me at Nick's for over 30 years LOL

1 minute ago, IndyHoops said:

Check out the mock 2025 drafts. Things could change, but this class is a long way from strong.

.....see,....this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. Yes, 5 stars, 4 stars, good stats, etc., are all great to know about and have coming in. What really matters is how they come in, work hard, improve, play hard and make a positive impact to the team. 

I guess the point I'm getting at is a teams like Purdue, Nebraska and others have flown under the radar with players, but have been able to prospers with "on paper - weak classes". Yes, both have good coaches to help develop those players as well as utilize them to their best abilities.

This is where CMW is behind when it comes to NCAA coaching. I guess we will see what happens this year and how we  can hopefully show a big improvement from last year to this year. This is where coaching and developing players really need to come to fruition. 

JMO

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah a McDonald's All-American who thinks he is a one-and-done is not going to a school to come off the bench. That is for sure. Hopefully, Woodson learned his lesson and said he will promise to start him if he earns it but I highly doubt it. 

Kids go to Kentucky all the time and think they are one and dones and don’t start.  Some get buried on the bench.  Not saying that is happening to tucker, just saying that there are too 20 kids that end up not starting.  Ware only played 16 minutes per game at Oregon and came off the bench in more often than not.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Kids go to Kentucky all the time and think they are one and dones and don’t start.  Some get buried on the bench.  Not saying that is happening to tucker, just saying that there are too 20 kids that end up not starting.  Ware only played 16 minutes per game at Oregon and came off the bench in more often than not.

I think there is a big difference between Cal and Woody. JMO

7 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

What position is he going to defend in the B10? We all know what MM was like on the defensive end last year and he averaged 12 pts a game. I don’t think Tucker is close to what MM was this time last year. I guess we will find out…

Tucker is a way better athlete. MM movement is clumsy and not fluid. It’s why he struggles on defense. It looks like he is still learning how to move in his maturing body. Tucker is much more fluid and they are different players. You can’t look at ranking of one player one year and say this is the type of player a player the next year will be. Some kids will be better others worse. MM is the better shooter but even that took him time to adjust. Tuckers athleticism should make him a net positive contributor earlier than Mgbako was early in the season. 

I think there is a big difference between Cal and Woody. JMO
Kentucky has 7 or 8 five star players on each team so several will not start regardless of what they think.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think we are going to recruit a lot of portal players that play his position, we haven't really shown to be doing that. But there are two already on the roster that play his spot. One is 4.5 years older than he is with 66 career starts under his belt, and another has a chance to be a first-round draft pick. 

Respectfully, this convo sounds a lot like the one we heard that MM was GONE after this year. And then reality struck. 

I think it's a wild premise to 100%, not my words, think Tucker will start. 

You are also making assumptions though, and to be fair, yours are also based on empirical data (TG and MM). But MM is playing out of position, and most of the 66 starts you mention are TG basically out of position. In the above scenario, TG should be coming off the bench for MM (a move I think wins more basketball games). How Tucker fits in this pretzel I do not know, but clearly players have been promised to be developed where they see themselves (MM/MR). Does Tucker want to be a 2? He is probably too small for an NBA 3, so it would make sense. 

I agree dealing in absolutes is silly, I just think the likely scenario is we see Tucker starting or first guy off the bench. If Gallo is starting another 30 games at the 2, we are in trouble again. 

I think where maybe we can agree is Tucker is just a weird fit on this team given his NBA/Ignite aspirations and his position/skill set. He probably projects as a multi year player, I just do not see how you get a kid like that to commit under that understanding unless a huge bag changed his mind lol

4 minutes ago, bird4par said:

According to RTZ on HSN, yes.  He is claiming IU got 2.

I guess the Conwell talk was just talk then? I would take him over any 3 of the other guards in the mix. Coincidentily his 3p shooting % equals the combined total of most of the other guards in the mix too. 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

I guess the Conwell talk was just talk then? I would take him over any 3 of the other guards in the mix. Coincidentily his 3p shooting % equals the combined total of most of the other guards in the mix too. 

His season just ended last night.  Need to wait until next week to see if he even enters the portal and even then he may opt to follow Schertz to St. Louis if the Schertz rumors are correct.

32 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Check out the mock 2025 drafts. Things could change, but this class is a long way from strong.

NBA draft potential is totally different than college production. As an IU fan I don’t care .01% about NBA projections of players. UConn and Purdue don’t have a ton of lottery picks but are the top of college basketball. In the last 2 years UConn has zero 1st rounders taken (2023) and projected to have 2 taken in the first round this year. Purdue isn’t projected to have a single first rounder. 

18 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I mean thats true to an extent but it happens there too. Rupp Rafters was screeching for Reed Shepard to start almost all year. He is the projected #3 in the latest mock drafts. Instead he kept starting Wagner who was by basically every metric a much worse player. But he was a classic KY 5-star. Reed wasn't. It happens all the time. Not saying it will with Tucker, but it happens. Even at KY. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

NBA draft potential is totally different than college production. As an IU fan I don’t care .01% about NBA projections of players. UConn and Purdue don’t have a ton of lottery picks but are the top of college basketball. In the last 2 years UConn has zero 1st rounders taken (2023) and projected to have 2 taken in the first round this year. Purdue isn’t projected to have a single first rounder. 

Jordan Hawkins (14th overall) was a 1st round pick this past year for UConn.  

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

His season just ended last night.  Need to wait until next week to see if he even enters the portal and even then he may opt to follow Schertz to St. Louis if the Schertz rumors are correct.

Understood, but I was responding to the "IU got 2" comment. I can't imagine adding 3 portal guards to the 4 returners (Cupps, Galloway, Leal & Newton.) Unless someone else is leaving or Woodson is turning 180° from his previous MO.