Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

It really doesn’t matter if a player shoots a high 3 ball percentage unless it is done in the rhythm of a smooth passing and movement offense.  A 45% 3 ball shooter can become a 30 or below % shooter unless everything flows well.

2 hours ago, HoosierDaddy87 said:

Went to most UE home games.... He's not going to overwhelm you with athletic ability but he has a nose for the ball and will bang underneath with the big boys.  He's a spot up shooter and can hit from well behind 3 point line

Where do you see him being able to play on defense in the BT?  Does he have a quick release on the outside shot?  Does he move without the ball to an open space for a clean shot?  Can he pass ?

1 hour ago, TTT said:

It really doesn’t matter if a player shoots a high 3 ball percentage unless it is done in the rhythm of a smooth passing and movement offense.  A 45% 3 ball shooter can become a 30 or below % shooter unless everything flows well.

Miller Kopp shot 44% his senior year in the same IU offense

41 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Where do you see him being able to play on defense in the BT?  Does he have a quick release on the outside shot?  Does he move without the ball to an open space for a clean shot?  Can he pass ?

Let me preface this with I'm just a casual basketball fan and this is just my opinion--I think guarding the 4 is where he would fit defensively--he's big (in terms of MVC) and has decent quickness.  He finds open spaces and is a knockdown shooter.  He's definitely a team player and looks for the open guys--he will have to get used to that level of basketball--he came from NAIA to MVC to Big 10 hopefully  

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

LOVE love love Payne. Plays with incredible joy.

If it was my money bag I’d throw it at him asap.

That is a massive nut punch for Minny

As a backup or as a 4/5 starter?  Can he also shoot from distance 

12 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

He would be absolutely perfect as a back up. Come in for MR when he gets in foul trouble.

BUT….

It would be painful with Payne at the 5, MR at the 4, MM at the 3, Perkins at the 1, and Tucker at the 2. You think the lane is clogged now…. LOL 

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

He can't shoot from distance.  He's a 5.  If he's at IU, he's likely going to be a 20 to 25 minute guy with Reneau sliding over to the 5 when Payne is on the bench.

If you want to play both Payne and Reneau but also want the floor spaced, you'd need to be judicious about the amount of time they are both in the game together.  I'm expecting 30 minutes or so for Reneau and if Pharrell were to get, say, 22 that would mean you would get at least 10 to 15 minutes with both in under the best case.

Payne is a good defender. 

I have said I wholeheartedly doubt you are going to so IU go away from playing Reneau alongside another a big for stretches of the game, so have to hope we get some shooters and have Reneau expand his game as well.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Miller Kopp shot 44% his senior year in the same IU offense

And in that 44% offensive plays were in rhythm/team connection.

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

Putting aside any fit or scheme questions, 90% of that team flat quit and that kid didn’t. Speaks well for him.

Why did he leave Tennessee?