Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It didn't take me long .  I watched more film, realized he was only 21 (was he on a college campus at 16 years old?)... 

Let's add Rice and Ballo today! 

Agree completely. They’ve got to add a big. Probably a couple. I can’t get my mind around NOT wanting a physical, experienced rebounder/defender/PnR finisher who doesn’t need shots. Would be a huge get.

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

Agree completely. They’ve got to add a big. Probably a couple. I can’t get my mind around NOT wanting a physical, experienced rebounder/defender/PnR finisher who doesn’t need shots. Would be a huge get.

Rice, Ballo, MM, MR, Trey, Tucker, Leal, Cupps, Newton really isn't a bad start to this thing. You'd still have 4 schollies to play with there. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Ive talked myself into really wanting Ballo…

If Woody is going to play 1990s style basketball then might as well get the best players for that system. I don’t agree with it and don’t think you can win meaningful titles with it but Woody has shown us he’s not going to change. I think if he accumulated all this talent and can’t get to the tournament and win a game or two, then it’s meaningless to keep him around.

8 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Ive talked myself into really wanting Ballo…

He definitely raises our floor in a major way, which is exciting.

However, if we don't land any shooters then I don't know how many more wins we'll have than this past season.

Is he an upgrade over Ware? I don't really think he is.

12 minutes ago, Demo said:

I'll probably have to be that guy that comes back halfway through the season to say I told you so. So don't hold it against me. 

I do know that IU is going to meet whatever he wants while he's here on Sunday to get him to say yes

I think if you are IU this is your hope

Rice

Conwell (I'd take Hickman here too)

Mgbako 

Reneau

Ballo

Bench: Galloway (1-3), Tucker (3), Humrichous (3-4), maybe add another big for backup minutes to play the 5

Cupps, Newton, Leal will be your 10-12 guys which I think is ideal. 

Surfing the 247 portal website before work...on the 247 portal rankings it now shows a Crystal ball pick for Kanaan Carlyle to IU. 

https://247sports.com/season/2024-basketball/transferportaltop/

He is #10

Edit: This makes Hickman or Humrichous a must IMO. Need a shooter off the bench. We are in no way to turn a talent like this down. But, shooters shooters and shooters is the need. 

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Woody is going to do what Woody is going to do, so in that context he's a good pickup. 

Otherwise, offensively our problems mainly boildown to spacing and shooting.  He doesn't address either. But again, it's likely nobody we plugged in there would if somebody like Ware didn't.  

I'm in the "we are who we are" camp and say bring the big fella in. But then if Rice is in too, the only other way we address shooting is by recruiting over Galloway relegating him to the bench. I'm really curious if Woody will actuality do that.  

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rice, Ballo, MM, MR, Trey, Tucker, Leal, Cupps, Newton really isn't a bad start to this thing. You'd still have 4 schollies to play with there. 

Yup. And the thing with Ballo, showing my age here, he reminds me of having Dale Davis. Not for his game, but for the fact that he’s the biggest bada$$ on the floor and nobody wants any part of that guy. That’s a really underrated trait. A Coleman Hawkins-type kid is not woofing at Ballo.

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Woody is going to do what Woody is going to do, so in that context he's a good pickup. 

Otherwise, offensively our problems mainly boildown to spacing and shooting.  He doesn't address either. But again, it's likely nobody we plugged in there would if somebody like Ware didn't.  

I'm in the "we are who we are" camp and say bring the big fella in. But then if Rice is in too, the only other way we address shooting is by recruiting over Galloway relegating him to the bench. I'm really curious if Woody will actuality do that.  

Between Galloway and Tucker I don't see both coming off the bench.

Just now, Chris007 said:

I'm not joking though I think this is done and we will get both Rice and Caryle

It seems legit. Travis Branham from 247 put in picks to IU for both. Can Rice, Carlyle, and Conwell all start together? Would be interesting but just wondering. 

11 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yup. And the thing with Ballo, showing my age here, he reminds me of having Dale Davis. Not for his game, but for the fact that he’s the biggest bada$$ on the floor and nobody wants any part of that guy. That’s a really underrated trait. A Coleman Hawkins-type kid is not woofing at Ballo.

There's a theme. Pharrel Payne has not been quite as successful or high profile as Ballo to date, but Payne is also the biggest bad-@$$  on the floor.

I would like to see IU field a team with plenty of guys with that kind of attitude. Trey Galloway is not a super-skilled player, but he has that attitude. Leal too. Cupps and (from what I've read) Newton also have that in them. Ain't no one punking Jakai Newton.

Hell, for all of my scheme and roster construction issues with Woody, I cannot imagine that even Woodson's biggest detractors think he has less than an appropriately prickly attitude. So Woody ought to go get players that reflect that.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Between Galloway and Tucker I don't see both coming off the bench.

Trey Galloway is going to play no matter what. As far as Tucker goes more and more 5 stars are coming off the bench. Especially with this extra covid year still in play. I think half of ESPN's 5 stars last year came off the bench..some played at UK where Cal didn't play his two best guys right away. However, there were others. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

It seems legit. Travis Branham from 247 put in picks to IU for both. Can Rice, Carlyle, and Conwell all start together? Would be interesting but just wondering. 

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I'm not sure that we'll find out.