Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rice, Ballo, MM, MR, Trey, Tucker, Leal, Cupps, Newton really isn't a bad start to this thing. You'd still have 4 schollies to play with there. 

Looks like a great way to still have a horrid offense. But Woody would love it.

11 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Between Galloway and Tucker I don't see both coming off the bench.

They might both come off the bench but there better be some leadership on this team because you are going to have some guys who have either played a lot of college ball or we're highly recruited sitting a lot of minutes. There is only one basketball and so many minutes to go around. I think we will see a lot of unhappy guys. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

They might both come off the bench but there better be some leadership on this team because you are going to have some guys who have either played a lot of college ball or we're highly recruited sitting a lot of minutes. There is only one basketball and so many minutes to go around. I think we will see a lot of unhappy guys. 

Now the issue is too much talent?!?!? That was some serious mental gymnastics to come up with that. 

:farting_smiley: (WHY DON'T YOU GUYS ALLOW EMOJIS!?!!?!?!)

18 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Woody is going to do what Woody is going to do, so in that context he's a good pickup. 

Otherwise, offensively our problems mainly boildown to spacing and shooting.  He doesn't address either. But again, it's likely nobody we plugged in there would if somebody like Ware didn't.  

I'm in the "we are who we are" camp and say bring the big fella in. But then if Rice is in too, the only other way we address shooting is by recruiting over Galloway relegating him to the bench. I'm really curious if Woody will actuality do that.  

IF the guards from Wazzu and Stanford sign up, then Ballo from AZ this weekend ... this has his offense written all over it. I say that because the "pure" shooters as of this morning are all visiting other schools like Tennessee, UNC, Texas etc. I am NOT saying those two guards won't work out but it shows me that Woodson plans to run the same offense he has and sees the shot percentage increase by "we just need to hit shots". I agree with you "the only other way we address shooting is by recruiting over Galloway relegating him to the bench" ....

But IMO Woodson will not do that. The handwriting is on the wall IF Rice and Carlyle commit.

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I think your nakedness is probably going to be safe....I can't see IU adding three guards of that caliber from the portal.  In terms of playing time, trying to work those three + Galloway and adding Tucker, it wouldn't seem to be that the minutes would be there, especially since we can assume MM will be playing mostly the 3.  

Rice is looking good, so to me it looks like the second added guard could be Hickman or Carlyle.  If we added both, I'll join your naked mile through campus but I think the fine folks of Bloomington can be marked safe from that trauma.

Mixed feelings on that kind of haul. Your guys' celebration is our trauma...

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

BINGO ... we have a winner

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There's a theme. Pharrel Payne has not been quite as successful or high profile as Ballo to date, but Payne is also the biggest bad-@$$  on the floor.

I would like to see IU field a team with plenty of guys with that kind of attitude. Trey Galloway is not a super-skilled player, but he has that attitude. Leal too. Cupps and (from what I've read) Newton also have that in them. Ain't no one punking Jakai Newton.

Hell, for all of my scheme and roster construction issues with Woody, I cannot imagine that even Woodson's biggest detractors think he has less than an appropriately prickly attitude. So Woody ought to go get players that reflect that.

What I'd give for Will Sheehey flexing on teams this year.  

2 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

IF the guards from Wazzu and Stanford sign up, then Ballo from AZ this weekend ... this has his offense written all over it. I say that because the "pure" shooters as of this morning are all visiting other schools like Tennessee, UNC, Texas etc. I am NOT saying those two guards won't work out but it shows me that Woodson plans to run the same offense he has and sees the shot percentage increase by "we just need to hit shots". I agree with you "the only other way we address shooting is by recruiting over Galloway relegating him to the bench" ....

But IMO Woodson will not do that. The handwriting is on the wall IF Rice and Carlyle commit.

I think you're vastly underestimating Rice and Carlyle's ability. They might not be deadeye 3 point shooters (and that's ok) but they are both three level scorers who can shot create for themselves. I will ASSURE you that teams will not be sagging off Rice and Carlyle they way they did Cupps/XJ/Galloway last year, 3pt % as first year players be damned. Tristen Newton (32%) and Stephon Castle (26%) weren't 3 point shooters and teams didn't sag off either of them. They scored and got to the rim when they wanted. 

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rice, Ballo, MM, MR, Trey, Tucker, Leal, Cupps, Newton really isn't a bad start to this thing. You'd still have 4 schollies to play with there. 

Not bad but not great.

Cupps and Leal should be end of the bench players. Like 10/11/12 man scenario. Newton, hopefully plays like his HS teammate Castle, but coming off two knee injuries, hard to know how much he adds next year. So I view your hypothetical more like 

Rice, Ballo, MM, MR, Trey, Tucker, Newton(?) in the rotation... I'm not blown away by that at all.

I feel like they need to add another backcourt player (Carlyle or Conwell) AND Hickman for me to feel like we're actually cooking.

3 minutes ago, sirhoosierlot said:

The film tells us that the guards and bench were an issue last year and now that we’re attempting to upgrade the position and have a deeper bench it’s a bad thing? 

I said I think those have both been upgraded if we get who I'm told we have gotten. I said I worry about leadership and coaching of the talent. I like Rice a lot. Carlyle we'll see. I'm not a fan of Ballo but I know we're going to add a big

2 minutes ago, sirhoosierlot said:

The film tells us that the guards and bench were an issue last year and now that we’re attempting to upgrade the position and have a deeper bench it’s a bad thing? 

I think he is talking about the film that shows no matter who is on the floor, no matter how many stars they had in their ranking ... the coaching decisions are somewhat questionable. I bet 90% of this board agrees with you about upgrading the position or having a deeper bench, I do ... but it's the man that moves the pieces that is the problem. "We just need to hit shots" is not recruiting a shooter for next year, which will be a real upgrade since Ballo? will not be putting up the same numbers as Ware did last year. MR had better improve this summer on hitting a 3 without sitting or hesitating and be more mobile from outside. It will be interesting though to see how all the pieces full into this complex puzzle, including the sideline.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Nahh.. you tried to skew adding these dudes as a problem lol... I said "That's mental gymnastics" and then you came at me, multiple times. 

Sorry I watch film? I kinda assumed we all did. If not, how tf should any of us have an opinion on any of this? 

I said you need leadership and coaching when you add a bunch of guys who have all played a lot of minutes already in CBB. You have to have a good culture and I don't think we have that. Then you came at me. I won't respond to you again. 

I've got a pretty open calendar for the first time in a while, sounds like some visits start up today, and this thread is gettin' sassy at 8:12am my time. Let's get weird.

EDIT: big ol' bucket of water thrown on the sass fire in the next post. Still plenty of opportunity to get weird within board bylaws.

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Come on guys we're all on the same team, let's not do this here. And it's Friday. Should have good news here in the next 24-72 hours I would imagine. 

I haven't been there since December 2011 but for some fantastic Friday humor I am thinking about heading over to RuppRafters and see what all the excitement is about. LOL

A bunch of posts hidden; both those that had personal attacks and those that responded to and quoted personal attacks.

Here it is: Feel free to attack the substance of any post, but the board's rules forbid personal attacks on posters. 

Don't want to escalate any more than this.

Thanks all.