Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

IMO, Essegian is a better offensive player than Leal, but AL's value is really in being the coach on the floor guy, the guy who makes sure that everyone is in the right place, especially on defense. The guy who makes little plays, steals, deflections, disruptions, that help win games, and that he is better at than CE.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Malone. Essegian.

Filled and done.

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

I'd prefer Malone and Humrichous but wouldn't be mad with Essegian either. 

I'd prefer all 3. The 4th? I would find a 7ft kid, or a kid like the Blazi kid or whatever we had visit. 

See if Mongolian Mike wants to come and redshirt. 

someone with some stupid measurables 

14 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Just curious why you think Newton needs to play? If Carlyle comes, I think the top 7 would be Oumar, Malik, MM, Bryson Tucker, TG, Rice, and Carlyle. I also think Cupps would generally get some minutes as a backup PG and Leal as well will see some time because he brings shooting to the table. Obviously, Newton is a major unknown, and I could be totally wrong, but not sure I see him getting much run.

Newton was very highly regarded before he got injured.  He hasn’t played in two years.  He needs minutes in live game action.  I agree with your top 7 and Cupps is going to play.  Leal idk we will see.  I’m not saying Newton is going to play a lot of minutes.  Who knows what he will look like, but I do think he needs to see the court imo.  If he can get back to where he was he will most certainly get minutes, probably a lot of them.

The way I see it, the fact that the staff is going after Essegian is a great sign because they expect to have increased guard minutes due to usage of 3 guard lineups. If they sign Humrichous, it would appear they are planning to always play two bigs.

2 minutes ago, SamIam said:

The way I see it, the fact that the staff is going after Essegian is a great sign because they expect to have increased guard minutes due to usage of 3 guard lineups. If they sign Humrichous, it would appear they are planning to always play two bigs.

The last sentence confused me. He's a stretch 4, not a big. And other than Malik, MM, and MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE TG in a pinch... who on our roster can play the 4? and maybe more importantly, guard a 4? 

I think the way things stand now, it's obvious MM is going to play some 4. 

59 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would guess 10-15 minutes and more on any given night. And why bring him in if your not giving him the green light

Supposedly sold Rice and Carlyle on shooting as many 3's as you'd like. Give Essegian the Devonte Green green light and let's cook!

34 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Was listening to Assembly Call last night. Assuming IU gets Carlyle, the rest of the roster might be a little hard to put together. All that will be left is reserve roles. A good problem to have but it still make time for it to play out. 

Exactly what I've been saying. Indiana has seven guys in rotation, Woody isn't playing more than eight during B1G. 

30 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

That Goodman video is hilarious. Yes, we need better shooting but this whole take made me laugh out loud:

"What did Mgbako shoot from 3 as a freshman? Don't know but it wasn't good and he was supposed to be a lights out shooter."

"My one piece of advice is to go out and get Stojakovic b/c he's a lights out shooter....well, he wasn't as a freshman, but he will be."

On the shooting front: Yes it's important for Indiana to get better shooters. But Woodson and company seriously need to play a style of basketball where they shoot more 3's. They were bottom 300's in D1 last season. That's not acceptable at the P4 level. 

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

Exactly what I've been saying. Indiana has seven guys in rotation, Woody isn't playing more than eight during B1G. 

On the shooting front: Yes it's important for Indiana to get better shooters. But Woodson and company seriously need to play a style of basketball where they shoot more 3's. They were bottom 300's in D1 last season. That's not acceptable at the P4 level. 

Why do you keep stating the bold as if it were fact? 

7 minutes ago, ISP said:

Ok, very small additional details on CE. AAU coach is on the visit with him. AAU coach likes that Woody has a relationship with his players (GG did not). AAU coach wants him at IU. 

Some online saying Michigan doesn't seem to be recruiting him as hard anymore

1 minute ago, jbeaman9 said:

Some online saying Michigan doesn't seem to be recruiting him as hard anymore

Michigans top site at the beginning of the portal window thought he was a lock to them. Now those thoughts have dropped significantly. 

It's gonna be interesting to see how much Ballo changes the defense. With Ware and TJD we had pretty mobile bigs, Arizona played almost exclusively drop coverage. I'm not sure if we have seen Woody embrace that, or if he will this year. 

Playing drop definitely works if you have a huge enough guy in the middle, Purdue, Creighton and Arizona all play it nearly 100% of the time, but it would be sort of ironic to play a defense designed to give up only long twos because of how inefficient they are and still shoot them at such a high rate on offense.