Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

15 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It was misdiagnosed originally, he had a microfracture IIRC. He's had a few procedures on it. The procedure this year was reported as a knee scope but that wouldn't have kept him out all year.

I can say from one of my son's (a bball player) experiences that a knee scope might include a secondary procedure for damaged cartilage that can take months to heal, the first 6 weeks or so of which requires no weight on the knee (crutches). It's not the normal meniscus tear and ortho (that his older brother had, on both knees) but it can happen depending on the damage. 

24 minutes ago, Demo said:

Don’t remember for sure where I heard it, might of been a YouTube video that was trailing him that I saw,, but I believe he said himself that it was originally diagnosed as a meniscus tear, but there turned out to be more to it. Made it sound like the procedure he had 3-4 months ago was not that big a deal and was precautionary though he wasn’t specific. 

This sounds a lot like what my younger son, also a bball player, is currently going through, what was originally diagnosed as a torn meniscus but turned out to have more serious damage to cartilage / knee and which required a secondary procedure after which he has to be on crutches for 6 weeks and then it takes a few months to fully heal.

8 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I can say from one of my son's (a bball player) experiences that a knee scope might include a secondary procedure for damaged cartilage that can take months to heal, the first 6 weeks or so of which requires no weight on the knee (crutches). It's not the normal meniscus tear and ortho (that his older brother had, on both knees) but it can happen depending on the damage. 

I figured there was another procedure on it.

2 hours ago, SamIam said:

It's gonna be interesting to see how much Ballo changes the defense. With Ware and TJD we had pretty mobile bigs, Arizona played almost exclusively drop coverage. I'm not sure if we have seen Woody embrace that, or if he will this year. 

Playing drop definitely works if you have a huge enough guy in the middle, Purdue, Creighton and Arizona all play it nearly 100% of the time, but it would be sort of ironic to play a defense designed to give up only long twos because of how inefficient they are and still shoot them at such a high rate on offense. 

Yeah no player is perfect, and I get the fit concerns w/Malik, but I think Ballo has the possibility of setting a really high floor for your team on defense and the boards almost by himself. IU hasn’t been as good as you’d hope in THOSE areas recently and not every player plugs every hole.

4 hours ago, IU22 said:

Has Essigian already visited Michigan?

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Pretty sure he's already made 3 visits? SC, UM, and the other UM.. 

If I’m not mistaken the Michigan visit either hasn’t been scheduled or keeps getting pushed back. The mgoblog confidence level that he ends up there has diminished considerably in the last week or so.

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I could be wrong of course but I think Woodson should stagger his starters with the bench.

With no backup big yet he’s going to have to. Unless he’s going to go from playing 2 posts to no posts with his reserve unit. If he does that he’ll have everyone confused, and not just Kenny Payne.   

If Essegien commits and we still get Carlyle I will take it as a sign that Woody has at least committed to playing small a solid portion of each game. That’s a good thing, imo. 

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

With no backup big yet he’s going to have to. Unless he’s going to go from playing 2 posts to no posts with his reserve unit. If he does that he’ll have everyone confused, and not just Kenny Payne.   

If Essegien commits and we still get Carlyle I will take it as a sign that Woody has at least committed to playing small a solid portion of each game. That’s a good thing, imo. 

That's fair. Nonetheless, Indiana needs some backup forwards. Malik is foul prone as we know. 

5 minutes ago, Trish said:

That's fair. Nonetheless, Indiana needs some backup forwards. Malik is foul prone as we know. 

Mgbako, Reneau, Ballo, and Tucker are players currently who are 3/4/5's.  We know we are adding another 4/5 type player.

Running occasional three guard lineups.  Truth is that Galloway and Essegian can both play as a 3.  Essegian was a decent rebounder at the 2 for Wisky.

5 minutes ago, Trish said:

If they are going to stagger and play small half the time get that kid from Grace and roll. There’s open schollys so if you want to get a logan Duncomb type to suit the end of the bench you can do that too. 

IDK really know where this is going but I kind of find this experiment fascinating. 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not getting the thinking that Humrichous would be coming to IU.  What's the upside for him to do so?  He's already wanting to have NBA scouts look at him, why would he come to Indiana and get less minutes?

Would he get less minutes here than at Illinois? Genuinely asking, not sure what they have coming in/returning next year.

Maybe if he thinks he will play adequate minutes, he'd buy that the stage at IU could give him better visibility/interest from pro scouts than a mid-major where he plays a ton. Other than Illinois haven't heard of big programs linked with him but certainly could've missed it... I find him most interesting at the moment but that may be because he's the biggest "unknown" to me as a prospect/what we could realistically expect from him on next year's team. I like him better than Elijah Malone, but I assume everyone else does too.  

Humrichous and Essegian (+ Carlyle becoming official) would be great IMO. Fill the 13th spot with a lotto ticket and let's roll

I don't know where this is all going, but it looks to me like we will have significantly better tools to work with next season. Now what that actually means, we'll have to wait until the dust settles and the games begin to know for sure. If next season goes the same as last, even I will be on the dark side.

5 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Would he get less minutes here than at Illinois? Genuinely asking, not sure what they have coming in/returning next year.

Maybe if he thinks he will play adequate minutes, he'd buy that the stage at IU could give him better visibility/interest from pro scouts than a mid-major where he plays a ton. Other than Illinois haven't heard of big programs linked with him but certainly could've missed it... I find him most interesting at the moment but that may be because he's the biggest "unknown" to me as a prospect/what we could realistically expect from him on next year's team. I like him better than Elijah Malone, but I assume everyone else does too.  

Humrichous and Essegian (+ Carlyle becoming official) would be great IMO. Fill the 13th spot with a lotto ticket and let's roll

I don't think he and Malone are an either or situation. You take both 

17 minutes ago, str8baller said:

If they are going to stagger and play small half the time get that kid from Grace and roll. There’s open schollys so if you want to get a logan Duncomb type to suit the end of the bench you can do that too. 

IDK really know where this is going but I kind of find this experiment fascinating. 

I just hope the basketball is more modern and less 2007. 

1 minute ago, Trish said:

I just hope the basketball is more modern and less 2007. 

I can live with either style as long as we win.  If we play hard and lose a close one it won't hurt as bad either.