Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

These guys feel the same as you do. Still no shooting and everything is crowded. Goodman said this is a roster for the 80's

I don’t know if that’s good or bad. LOL. :)

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

I Don’t disagree.  But I am taking the “could” out of the equation.  What if he doesn’t get there?  I know what he is now, for sure.  

True. And whether or not he can win with the talent is a huge question mark. But, I’m not sure he could do a lot better so far in the portal. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

These guys feel the same as you do. Still no shooting and everything is crowded. Goodman said this is a roster for the 80's

Goodman phoning in this analysis. Wow. Ballo isn’t a 3 point shooter? Thanks for that. And how lazy is it to ask what Mgbako’s percentage is and then say, I don’t know it but it’s not good.

we do need to add shooters and if we don’t with our remaining spots, that could spell trouble. But come on man, show a little effort when you are an “expert”.

4 minutes ago, Papacap said:

Mgbako’s percentage is and then say, I don’t know it but it’s not good.

He's the one guy I'm confident that he'll be able to shoot it next year.  His first month was pretty rough.  After that he was pretty consistently a 35% 3pt shooter on good volume.  That's pretty good for a freshman.  He's a threat even if he doesn't improve.  But I'd guess he's at least in the high 30s on 5+ attempts a game next year. 

49 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Say what you want about Dakich, but he nailed it on Goodman years ago. 

56 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Funny thing is we played more 3 guard lineups in the 80's then we do now

We did.  But at the minimum it does seem like that the staff is looking at bringing in shooters -- I don't know why you would bring in Essegian for a visit if you weren't because that is pretty much what he did well when he was on his game.

My guy says that Rice and Carlyle decided they wanted to play together and sold themselves as such.  And if the option is both of them neither, put me down as a resounding yes to both of them.  Let's say that they both shoot 35% from three next year -- pretty realistic expectation for the jump from freshman to sophomore year (for an IU comparison, C.J. Gunn and Tamar Bates certainly had holes in their game and neither shot the ball well as all as freshman, but they were at 34 and 37% as sophomores).  Rice and Carlyle as 35% shooters from deep are a couple of pretty effective three level scorers.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

We did.  But at the minimum it does seem like that the staff is looking at bringing in shooters -- I don't know why you would bring in Essegian for a visit if you weren't because that is pretty much what he did well when he was on his game.

My guy says that Rice and Carlyle decided they wanted to play together and sold themselves as such.  And if the option is both of them neither, put me down as a resounding yes to both of them.  Let's say that they both shoot 35% from three next year -- pretty realistic expectation for the jump from freshman to sophomore year (for an IU comparison, C.J. Gunn and Tamar Bates certainly had holes in their game and neither shot the ball well as all as freshman, but they were at 34 and 37% as sophomores).  Rice and Carlyle as 35% shooters from deep are a couple of pretty effective three level scorers.

And Ballo, MM compliments them very well. A little offset of Malik's mins, a little growth from beyond the arc from Malik, along with continued work in facilitating, and he can easily function well with the others, also. 

Woodson gotta loosen the reins though, let these dudes run. 

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I hope you are right but I will be surprised if both of them shoot 35% from 3. 

5 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

First class reporting by FO68! 

I know I'm probably the only one on here but I do like the Field of 68. To be honest, they are kind of like the "NFL Network" of college basketball. While this is all wrong, they still do a lot of good for the game. I don't always agree with their takes, but I like how they are dedicated to College Hoops 24/7. We all love College Basketball. Feels like the media only cares during the preseason tournaments and March. 

I get why an outsider would think Malik would transfer. However, I think he was sold to play the 4 at IU so he is probably happy with this. And yes, someone needs to do their research there. This will be year 4 of the Mike Woodson era. 

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

With the recent pick ups, Purdue has decided to tone down their chants to "IU stinks".

Actually on X they are becoming even dumber. They point out that Arizona lost to the PUkes therefore Baso must be dog meat and will not make a difference at IU. They still speak as if they won a banner. They still speak as if Edey is back next year. They still speak as if they have roster spots open. They still speak as if they are the "gods of the big ten conference" ... Speaking is not their strong suit as usual.

1 hour ago, IH8PU said:

LOL ... what that wouldn't do to IU's guard situation. Competition would be fierce in practice for playing time. How many total minutes are available in a game? 200 .... some are not going to play as much as they want.

R.J. Davis is a pipe dream obviously, but in terms of some guys not playing as much as they want......that is every school everywhere and was so before the portal.