Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Then if the deal is to move one next year, why not announce that Woodson will retire after next season. Then hire Dusty as the “GM” or advisor type role and let him start recruiting a year in advance.

I'd also add Luke Yaklich is available to be an assistant. He was the defensive mind behind  Beilein taking a step forward at Michigan. I think Dusty needs a defensive mind in staff. 

Maybe they do announce that he will retire after next year but wait until next fall right before the year starts.  IMO it would be hard to get any portal guys in who had more than one year left it they announced his retirement in the spring.

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Then if the deal is to move one next year, why not announce that Woodson will retire after next season. Then hire Dusty as the “GM” or advisor type role and let him start recruiting a year in advance.

I'd also add Luke Yaklich is available to be an assistant. He was the defensive mind behind  Beilein taking a step forward at Michigan. I think Dusty needs a defensive mind in staff. 

Dusty won’t be available next year. And he’s not going to take a demotion when he could be a P5 coach next year. I don’t even want dusty but I have zero doubt that whoever IU hires will be worse. 

This will probably not be well-received... but in my mind, we have two options:

1) mid-major coach with proven success / resume (May, Schertz, etc)

2) high-major coach who doesn't have the proven success / resume, but has the traits and qualities which would lead us to believe he could and would succeed here (Shrews, etc)

Option 3 of a P5 coach with proven success will never exist unless it's a very rare circumstance. Even then, I'd bet against it. The way SEC / football schools have started investing in basketball (with facilities, NIL resources, huge salary pool for HC & assistants, etc) over the last decade or so (while still having limited fanbase pressure) makes our job more and more ordinary.

You don't have to love May, Schertz, or Shrewsberry. They all come with risk. But if we're gonna sit around waiting for the perfect candidate, we're gonna be stuck in neutral for a long time.

Just now, Chris007 said:

Because no one is going to tell Mike Woodson how to run his program unless it's someone he trusts. 

You have to remember Woodson thinks he's done a great job. He thinks he will fix this in the portal. 

Let Woodson run it how he sees fit for one more year. But let Dusty get to work for the future, build those relationships with the 25’ guys. Woodson can go all in for next year. Who gives a crap. We know it’s not going to meet expectation. He gets to go out on his terms and IU has their guy who has been able to have a year head start on future recruiting. Woodson won’t even have to recruit a single person. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Yep, which those were probably a given anyways and I would assume doesn’t really move the needle on the situation as far as who we are losing on the roster. 

I don’t know… Gunn scored almost 1/4 of or points against Nebraska in garbage time! Just think if he got “real” minutes! Lol

Edited by Ryno6284
Fat finger hit 5 instead of 4!

7 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Sounds like Louisville thinks highly enough to hand over the keys to their broken down Ferrari to him. 

Louisville is in the same situation we are and can’t afford another risky hire. If they do hire May it’s because the guys they targeted turn them down.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Because no one is going to tell Mike Woodson how to run his program unless it's someone he trusts. 

You have to remember Woodson thinks he's done a great job. He thinks he will fix this in the portal. 

Them someone he trusts had better tell him how to assemble a roster or that the game is perimeter oriented today. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You just summed up our failures in 2 sentences.  

Fire Mike Woodson!

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Let Woodson run it how he sees fit for one more year. But let Dusty get to work for the future, build those relationships with the 25’ guys. Woodson can go all in for next year. Who gives a crap. We know it’s not going to meet expectation. He gets to go out on his terms and IU has their guy who has been able to have a year head start on future recruiting. Woodson won’t even have to recruit a single person. 

I'm fine with that but I'm telling you Woodson still thinks he is going to be the coach here for 5 more years in his mind.

That is the one spot I will disagree with Jerry about. I don't expect him to announce he will retire at any time. He's going out kicking and screaming. 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Maybe they do announce that he will retire after next year but wait until next fall right before the year starts.  IMO it would be hard to get any portal guys in who had more than one year left it they announced his retirement in the spring.

I’m actually not so sure. Probably can get a huge payday for 1 year and be back on the market bc of the coaching change. And they’d have to realize it can’t be a worse coach. So basically you’re signing with the worst team and coach in the league but they’re overpaying you on a 1-year deal. You know going in you won’t make the tournament but $$$$$. 

This would then be horrible bc we will have a team full of players that don’t care one iota about IU and only here for the money. Which is what we’ll get regardless as long as MW is around. 

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It's absolutely ridiculous. 

You don't ask someone to retire. You either make them or fire them. 

It would be one thing if the coach had a long coaching tenure as well.  Boeheim and Denny Crum were probably given extra years because of what they had done during the coaching tenure even though Syracuse and Louisville knew it was past time to move on.    Woodson seems to be given extra time because he dribbled a basketball at IU 45 years ago.

Anyway, I've spent enough time on it, really am moving on.

1 minute ago, ib4iu said:

This would then be horrible bc we will have a team full of players that don’t care one iota about IU and only here for the money. 

You could be talking about pretty much any player at a P5 team with that statement.  I'm fine with players only playing at a certain college for the money -- as long as they are worth that money.

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like someone needs to stage an intervention. 

32 minutes ago, KnightsChair said:

I can actually shoot the 3 well… so no spot for me on this coaching staff’s roster.

But can you guard the 3 point line from the free throw line?

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

They won't care next year if it is a proven guy or not. They only cared that it was a proven guy to take over for Woodson this year.

Quinn is going to let them hire whoever they want next time. It could be a high school kid

That would require us to go to high schools. We can't risk that, we might actually see some recruits.

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You have to remember Woodson thinks he's done a great job. He thinks he will fix this in free agency the portal

I fixed it to reflect the fact that Woody still thinks he is coaching in the NBA.