Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

I really think we only have one option and if he can't turn it around in the next 4-5 years it's over.  No one else is going to want a part of this flaming dumpster fire.  The administration has simply f***** around for too long.

download (6).jpeg

For some reason, he's still my guy. Especially if they make a deep NCAA run again. 

59 minutes ago, Go_Hoosiers said:

You can't use the - we didn't expect our 6th year point guard to be injured excuse when you had an open scholarship and didn't bother to use it! The staff could have gone out and got anyone - even if it was their 10th option. Clearly they weren't above taking rotational players - as they grabbed Walker and Sparks. However, they didn't see a need to add a guard. Mindblowing!

Exactly. I've been saying this since before the seasons started... 

This Roster + Open Scholarship = We REALLY Don't Care

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

At this point most players are gone after the season, Not sure we can get guys out of the portal. No one in the class of 25 is going to come to IU with Woodson in limbo for next season. I'm guessing donations will be down, NIL money will be down. There is nothing Woodson can do to save the ship from going down at this point. I can't imagine a change not happening. I haven't heard that yet but I think we're heading that way

I'm not a fan of the inmates running the asylum, but sometimes player feedback matters. I wonder if there will be players that enter the portal and let Dolson know that I love IU, but I'm not staying if Woodson remains coach. 

2 weeks ago I was still in the Woodson camp. Now I am not. bare minimum, with the talent we have you cannot lose at home to unranked PSU and Nebraska by 13 and 14 points.

Love Woody, I hope he announces he's stepping away after the last regular season game, giving him the B1G tournament his farewell tour.

Otherwise can him at halftime of game 1 of BTT when we are down by 10 at HF against OSU or Michigan and hopefully IU is currently kicking tires to have someone lined up next day. 

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I really think we only have one option and if he can't turn it around in the next 4-5 years it's over.  No one else is going to want a part of this flaming dumpster fire.  The administration has simply f***** around for too long.

download (6).jpeg

I am not saying I want CMW as our coach but we have the expectation to give the coach behind 4-5 years but we only gave Woodson 3.  To me, the precedent has been set, he needs to turn it around 3 years or less, I’m not getting any younger 

43 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

This was the guy I was crying out for.  Who knows if he was interested in Indiana but given the NIL landscape of IU dollars v UCF dollars plus the fact that he was already playing in the state of Indiana, he should have been an identified option for the open scholarship.  Nothing indicates that IU even looked at him.  While his shooting is down this year his scoring certainly isn't and he scores at a couple levels.  He's not a point guard but Galloway and Sellers is a passable backcourt duo.  And the fact is that he is the leading scorer for a team that has knocked off Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma.

It seems every player Woodson went after was an option A player.  Ultimately the lack of option B players is what sinks a program because you aren't going to land many A's.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4898010/jaylin-sellers

Likewise... when news broke that Woodson was getting Sparks from Ball State I posted that we should grab Sellers, too... was told by some around here that there was no need to "waste" a scholarship on Sellers... how did that work out for ya?

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

$8.5 million for Pearl. Another $8.5 million to buy out Woody.

That's $17 million for the right to hire a 64 year old who would make over $7 million a year.

No. Way.

It’s not money, so I just want IU to hire the best, most proven coach that you can. And if you’re a donor who’s not looking to have to buy out another coach4 years from now, Bruce Pearl makes that a lot more likely than Dusty May. 

Just now, ledies22 said:

2 weeks ago I was still in the Woodson camp. Now I am not. bare minimum, with the talent we have you cannot lose at home to unranked PSU and Nebraska by 13 and 14 points.

Love Woody, I hope he announces he's stepping away after the last regular season game, giving him the B1G tournament his farewell tour.

Otherwise can him at halftime of game 1 of BTT when we are down by 10 at HF against OSU or Michigan and hopefully IU is currently kicking tires to have someone lined up next day. 

I agree with everything you said except only being down 10 at halftime of the BTT game. We know we'll be down more than that :-)

44 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Imo, he only goes after plan A guys because his talent evaluation abilities are poor and he doesn’t put the time in to identify under the radar guys. He goes after guys top schools are going for because if they’re going for them then they must be good. 

Woodson certainly doesn't have the time, energy or inclination to "coach up" any deficiencies that may appear... if they aren't billed as a 4-or 5-star stud, he just passes...

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s not money, so I just want IU to hire the best, most proven coach that you can. And if you’re a donor who’s not looking to have to buy out another coach4 years from now, Bruce Pearl makes that a lot more likely than Dusty May. 

So I'll add this dynamic; Pearl is an outstanding coach and he clearly loves IU. 

If he doesn't love Auburn and wants to cancel out some of his buyout? Maybe then it is an option.

I think May, but crazier things have happened. And who the hell really knows.

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I am not saying I want CMW as our coach but we have the expectation to give the coach behind 4-5 years but we only gave Woodson 3.  To me, the precedent has been set, he needs to turn it around 3 years or less, I’m not getting any younger 

You're not wrong, but I don't know that we've seen this type of trajectory at the end of year 3 before. We're in a free fall with no parachute.

35 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I do wonder if Jaylin Sellers was going to head close to home (GA) and they just already knew that. But the point @RaceToTheTop is making is valid, there were myriad options available.

Well, (paraphrasing) you miss 100% of the recruits that you don't pursue.

We will never know because Woodson knew better.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Woodson certainly doesn't have the time, energy or inclination to "coach up" and deficiencies that may appear... if they aren't billed as a 4-or 5-star stud, he just passes...

Woodson just isn't a coach.  He is just a guy getting a pay check.  And I surmise it has always been that way throughout his "storied" NBA "coaching" career.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

At this point most players are gone after the season, Not sure we can get guys out of the portal. No one in the class of 25 is going to come to IU with Woodson in limbo for next season. I'm guessing donations will be down, NIL money will be down. There is nothing Woodson can do to save the ship from going down at this point. I can't imagine a change not happening. I haven't heard that yet but I think we're heading that way

shhh that means I would owe Stuhoo lunch.

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Woodson certainly doesn't have the time, energy or inclination to "coach up" and deficiencies that may appear... if they aren't billed as a 4-or 5-star stud, he just passes...

Exactly!  He puts little effort into his coaching and he relies on their talents to get them over the “hump”!

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with everything you said except only being down 10 at halftime of the BTT game. We know we'll be down more than that :-)

They might get down 10 at some point in the 1st and just give up.